Kacy Rodgers - DC (on the field)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Oct 9, 2018.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

(I titled this on the field to explain the capacity in which I wanted to discuss him. We are not sure of his illness and I want this in no way to seem insensitive or a backhanded way to kick him while he is down)

I think it's safe to say that the majority of us have been critical of Kacy in his role as DC. I think this past week against Denver further solidifies these suspicions.

Bowles took over the duties on a short week while down Trumaine Johnson going into the matchup, and losing Buster Skrine during it. He was able to setup certain stunts and time blitzes appropriately to free up Leo and not get one dimensional with over exposing the blitz.
    All of us knowing good and well how bereft this team is of any true pass rush, yet Bowles managed to generate more stress than even Kansas City with Justin Houston and Dee Ford could manage the week prior.

I think these observations are twofold. I think we know that Bowles is good at defensive schemes but he is either much better than we thought or, Rodgers is much worse.

boozer32 and twown like this.
  2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Fair observations, but again the sample size is one game. The DL stunts were obviously effective on Sunday, but did Bowles really "set up" the stunts last week? Or does he have an uncanny feel for play-calling? (If so, he deserves condemnation for his HC duties for having the wrong person calling plays up to now.) Or maybe we just had good matchups. Or maybe the defense was particularly fired up to play hard for their fallen DC.

In any event, this is a worthy thread, but it's one game. If TB continues to call the D for the next week or two, we'll begin to know a lot more about the contrast between TB and KR in terms of their defensive leadership.

Ralebird, boozer32, Jets81 and 3 others like this.
  3. DarrelleRevis.Human?

I just wonder if the personal relationship Bowles has with Rodgers has clouded his judgement or worse blatantly gave someone he belives inferior a pass due to such a relationship.

Watching how horrible the defense played in 2017 and the vast majority of us certain Rodgers would/deserve to be the fall-guy, stayed on. Was questionable in itself.

Kris 15 and twown like this.
  4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I love that hypothesis. Seems unlikely, but I love it anyway.

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Case Keenum stinks.

Let's see how the D does against Luck & Cousins in the next two weeks.

If they shut down those two then yeah it ain't gonna look good for Rodgers.

boozer32, Jets81, Cman68 and 5 others like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The upside is it takes his attention away from the other shit a head coach is s'posed to do.

And that's a good thing.

HomeoftheJets, Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

"Sam, I know I've been telling you to overthrow the long ball since Day 1, but this week I have to concentrate on defense so I'll leave it up to you."

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I opened this thread thinking he was well again and back on the field.

But yea Bowles is no brilliant defensive mastermind but he's better in that role than Rodgers.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I see it another way Bowles lets his friendship with Rodgers cloud his professional responsibility. He had a short week to prepare and yet they had defensive pressure that has not been seen by this team since Bowles first season. If he cannot separate that part of his duties than he should never be a head coach

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Anyone else find it HILARIOUS/PATHETIC that the Bengals fired their Defensive Coordinator because they couldn't stop the high flying Chiefs and Saints Offenses, but the Jets are completely cool with being dominated by a 4th string QB on a terrible team like the Bills? Mind blowing.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Don't worry, Bowles and Kacy just need to look at the film. I'm sure they'll have a brilliant gameplan against one of the best QB's of this era in week 12.

Doreblade and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

yes, and the fact they haven't fired those clowns is even more mind blowing.

Doreblade and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

I would say this pathetic staff is the only reason Bowles isn't fired yet. Who do you replace him with Rodgers or Bates? Pick your poison.

I'd rather see Stump Mitchell or Kevin Greene as HC, but I don't see any of it happening no matter how warranted we all know that it is. I mean how bad is your staff when your clueless HC is still the best option because the OC/DC under him are even worse.

#13 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    LAJet and Doreblade like this.