Justin Herbert Returns to School....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 26, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Maybe. Alternatively he becomes the next Matt Barkley and doesn't get drafted anywhere near the top 10 next year.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I don't really see that happening. Barkley was really exposed for his arm and thats a plus for Herbert.

As for this killing our chances of moving down, I think we could very well be the prime sport for someoen that wants Haskins now if he declares, which he should. Its very doubtful the cards don't take Bosa. Gruden may be inclined to move down, but if he does not we could easily be a target for the Jags to jump up in front of the Giants and take the only QB left worth a top ten and possibly a first round grade this year.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. Herbert is a mound of clay at this stage. Hes got size,movement skills,big arm w good touch/top on ball & some anticipatory skills.

But whats his game? While he has great arm talent i wouldnt say its all world, his pocket presence leaves something to be desired as do his route progressions.

Stay at Oregon & decide what your game is.is he a less explosive Josh Allen or more athletic Joe Flacco?

Harpua likes this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Haskins got a nice multi million dollars Christmas present

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Its so obvious Giants are signing Joe Flacco

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Thats exactly where I am with him. He does not have Allen's arm but his is more than good enough, and he is a much more accurate thrower with similar movement skills. He needs more experience to round out the mental side of the game though.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

crap....somebody should tell this kid we need draft choices! WTF.

8. abc

abc Well-Known Member

not top 5 worthy... whichever GM considers this trade should be Fired Immediately.

9. Very good chance it happens irregardless.QB supply/demand is no joke

Sam Hammer and Harpua like this.
  10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It's more about demand. QBs are notoriously over valued in drafts because of the importance of the position. If multiple teams need a QB they could try to get ahead of each other. If other teams are unwilling to move down, they might be forced to make deal with the Jets.

This is almost why it's better to pick #4 or #5 rather than 1-2. I doubt anybody's trading up that high, but I could see it at 5.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

some draft sites had him going very high at the top of the first round so hard to see it going much better than that - better to come out in a weak year but maybe that's not the noise he was hearing

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its no doubt he was highly rated in this draft, but last year he would have at best been the 4th guy. He just happened to be the best of a very bad bunch right now. He and Haskins are the only two really seen as good prospects in this draft at QB and both may not declare. Lock and the rest are guys who have some potential, but are far from the talents we saw last year. So this may not improve his draft position, but as a player and person it may be the right choice for him. So the question is whats better early money or long term success? Because going back and getting additional time as a starter is only a good thing for his development.

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

unless he gets injured or has a bad year - I don't know if it was me I would want to lock down that "set for life money" now and let future me worry about the rest of it (but then I am very risk averse)

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Stok.. ;) Rollo with all due respect I think you may've overcooked my assessment of Thorson. I only called him 'decent' ...but at the same time there are a few things to consider: Northwestern historically has been 'Northanderthal' when it comes to offense and Thorson never had much in the way of skill position talent around him (NW's usually a gritty [chippy] defensive-oriented snooze fest). Thorson replaced Trevor Siemian (Denver Broncos) and turned a 5-7 team into a 10-3 team. Last time that kind of turnaround happened was when Gary Burnett was coach and NW went to the Rose Bowl (losing to Keyshawn & USC - you'll recall Keyshawn looked like a man against boys that day). Anyway, fwiw Thorson followed up his blah (ACL) 2nd year by winning the Big-10 West Div. this year so if nothing else his team's win football games.

That said however, in my above assessment of this year's group it was Daniel Jones (Duke) whom I referred to as the "intersting prospect." I also thought he might be staying one more year in school. Now I'm hearing he may come out and if that's the case then I'll repeat my take on him: here's this year's "interesting prospect" (and one that will also go 1st round - and whom I'd take a hard look at if I wasn't already taking a hard look at the Sam Darnold poster hanging over my bed).[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lastly, Jones put on a 2nd half show today down in Shreveport (Indy Bowl).

#34 joe, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Brook! likes this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I'm just basing Thorson on what I saw last year as opposed to this year. I thought he may have taken a step back this year--but maybe folks had film on him and were game planning for him.

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

It's all good - i mean do either of us care about Thorson? : )

*bedroon wall poster*

[​IMG]

17. Rollo Tomassi

I don't care about any other QB in the NCAAs.

First time I can say that in decades.

Still can't believe the Giants passed on him.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good points, but next year instead of being the best QB in the draft, he will probably only be at least the 4th, if not the 5th or 6th best QB in the draft behind Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm, Kelly Bryant, Daniel Jones (if he goes back to Duke) and maybe Jacob Eason. He's going to cost himself a ton of money, and if he gets seriously injured, could really cost himself a ton of money. I don't think it was a smart move at all. I think it was an emotional move, i.e., to play with his brother. For his sake, I hope it's worth it and doesn't wind up costing him.

#38 NCJetsfan, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Brook! and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not quite true. I'm reading that a number of people in the NFL are very high on Daniel Jones of Duke. It's a bit surprising, since I am a Duke fan, had high hopes for him a couple of years ago, and he's been a bit of a disappointment, but he still has talent, and he knows how to play the position. He has size, can make all the throws, is mobile, and very smart. Just the fact that he has played under and learned from David Cutcliffe for 3 years is a big plus for him.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Too bad he didn’t come out.

Somebody would have over drafted him.

Did not look great in his bowl game.