Justin Herbert Returns to School....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 26, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

This will undoubtedly hurt our options in a trade back scenario at this point, as I don't see other QB's worthy of a top 5 pick......so it's looking more like we will stand pat and have to pick the best option at our slot. Or take any deal we can get and capture maybe an extra second. I'm not sure that there is a player right now that will warrant a good trade though.....

abc likes this.
  2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah I don’t think a trade down is in the cards anymore. Draft a pass rusher or left tackle and be done with it.

abc likes this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure if it will hurt the Jets. If Haskins comes out I feel it will make those QB needy teams more desperate to leapfrog each other for him, since he will be the only one rated that high.

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I hate to threadjack, but I gotta. The Giants are SO fucked going into 2019/20 because of this.

Carry on.... :D

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Too bad, wanted the Giants to draft him.

He’s not that good.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Saved the Giants from pissing their pick away on him (or trading it plus more for him). He’s not that good. But that does suck for us because there would have been a team desperate enough after missing out on last years class.

Lol Giants

7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

We can hope it forces a team or two to pay a premium....if it's the Jaguars....I would consider doing it for a first rounder + Ramsey.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

So much for the Giants nabbing their QB of the future this year. Not that I'm convinced he'd be any good, but man is their future a mess

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

All the teams picking in the top 5 don't need a QB (unless Gruden's lost his marbles) and this year's QB crop (with or without Herbert) is night-and-day different than last year's and why the 2019 draft dynamics didn't mandate the "tank" as much. Put this way: last year it turned out the difference between the #3 pick and the #6 pick was the difference between ending a decades long search for a franchise QB and Quenton Nelson, a rock solid OG but an OG nevertheless.

This year (3rd vs. 6th pick)? Not nearly as stark and the need to trade up not nearly so crucial. Instead it's more about "what would you like?" : a pass rusher (Allen/Ferrell), a DL beast (Willliams/Ferrell/Lawrence), a CB (Williams), or an offensive LT (Williams)?

^ (those who follow college football know each of these respective 'Williams' by position).

But, nowhere should there be a top-of-the-draft rush on QBs so teams like the Giants can probably sit tight and either stretch Eli out one more year or grab a Dwayne Haskins when their (7-9) pick rolls around. The Jags are maybe one team I could see getting antsy.

#9 joe, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    LAJet, mrjet80 and Brook! like this.
  10. I think some of the offensive talents in this draft are being downplayed simply bc of the # of defensive prospects.

Certainly a ton can change between now & April but i think after Bosa theres a huge lump of players of similar value between picks 2 & say 16 or so. If it were to remain this way,theres no sense in worrying about value..take someone of need. Likely an OT outside shot at WR

mrjet80, TonyFtLaud and Brook! like this.
  11. Rollo Tomassi

It would be comical if there were a run on QBs this year.

But you know there will be.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Let there be one, I don't see it. Outside Haskins?

Drew Lock: nice arm, wallflower from the neck up.
    Dan Jones: interesting prospect; may stay another year at Duke.
    Ryan Findley: reminds me a little of Kyle Lauletta, Giants' 4th rd. out of Richmond last year. Nice feel for the game; so-so arm.
    Thorson: ACL injury lost a step. Decent, accurate arm.
    Grier: able and willing competitor; average arm.
    Stidham: looks the part, doesn't play the part consistently.

Remember Mason Rudolph (Ok St) last year? One of the 2nd tier QBs in last year's draft who was drafted in the 3rd round? I think he's more talented than most everyone above outside of Haskins and maybe Lock and Thorson....again, maybe.

Thx for Sam Santa (just get him outta Massholeborough healthy...knock on wood).

13. Rollo Tomassi

I watched every game Finley played last year and was thinking he s going to shine this year. Has not come through. Not good. He'll go to the Pats and be a first ballot HOFer.

Loved Thorson but even before his injury he was not good.

I like Stidham las year but never thought he had a big enough arm but @legler82 seems to think he has a gun but I've b\never seen it.

Lol Rudolph was my second tier QB last year if we didn't take one of the big 4. Have you seen his Insta videos on the lake house throwing 100 yard passes to dudes on a Jet ski all while waving the Merican flag? Too funny.

Acad23 likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The 2020 class looks much more interesting with Herbert and possibly Tua Tagavailoa and Trevor Lawrence. The Giants may get the chance to take Haskins but not sure if they should. Anyway Giants fans are learning the hard way that drafting a franchise QB is easier said than done.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Grier is a poor man's Baker IMO. Very similar skillsets, but Baker much more accurate with the football.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

seems an odd year to return to school if you are a QB prospect expected to go high - all the teams pretty much picking high are set at QB other than the Giants who are not as bad as their record would suggest and a pretty high profile gig for anyone (with a good chance to sit for a year behind Eli)

abc likes this.
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is good news for Nick Foles - any team that thinks they're close is going to come calling, and teams like the Giants who think they might be close will too, as opposed to drafting a lower level prospect. I can easily see him making the move 100 miles up the Turnpike.

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Foles is going to get paid. I think Bridgewater will get a sneaky good contract (possibly Giants?). Dalton may get released. This may not be a good draft class but it's a solid veteran class of QB's to hold over until the 2020 class.

abc likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless Eli retires at the end of the season, I don't think Foles goes to the Giants. The Jags, Broncos, and Redskins are more likely destinations IMO.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He's a 20 year old kid and his brother is coming to Oregon to play TE. This is not a Darnold like situation where teams were drooling over drafting him, he jsut happened to be the best of a bad bunch, Another year to mature and refine his game was most likely the smart move.