Just out of curiosity, Quincy Enunwa.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Looks like Q is the only WR earning his keep.

He is pretty physical, with decent speed.

So - here is my question. Q is indeed a decent threat. So, I am wondering why Jets O isn't isolating him.

I mean, if they isolate Q on one side, then they can have either Powell or Crowell in the backfield. [Both are actually very decent option out of the backfield.] Then they can split Anderson far out wide to the other side, with Kearse and some other receiver not named Pryor in the slot to the side of Anderson.

Doesn't this create 1x3 imbalance to begin with? This WILL help reading the safety coverage at the first glimpse. [And motion by either RB or the slot WR will reveal more, but let's not go there in this thread.]

Once Q is not doubled, then they can make Q run two routes - only two. Namely, Slant and Sluggo. Why haven't they done ANY of this? I have yet to see Q run a quick slant route. He certainly wasn't isolated in any phase of the Cleveland game, and he certainly didn't run a single Slant route. [In short, if Sam is in sync with Q, it takes two DBs to account for his threat effectively.]

If you ask me, slant route is the kind of route that will make any physical receiver shine; he just needs to box out the defender, and when the ball comes, he'll be ready. If the covering DB is squatting on the inside shoulder, then Sam just has to audible and adjust Q's route to sluggo. If the DB bites on a slant, that's a minimum 20+ yarder.

Not only that, but I have yet to see Anderson/Kearse vertical stretch or any of that sort. With his speed, Anderson is a very important element for any vertical concept as in double-dig in, or flood, or smash. Hell, Smash route doesn't even that that long to develop either. Kearse can run short hook outside, with Anderson running corner if the DBs are squatting in the shallow field.

==============================================================

There are more than a number of ways to utilize this offensive crew, especially the WRs. I have YET to see the receivers running ANY route with half semblance of attacking concept. Thoughts? [Yes, I am saying Jeremy Bates is a fucking piece of shit OC.]

#1 Zach, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You might wanna ask Norman Bates that before he goes on another in-game sabbatical ..

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i would love to see some slants. It’s anither quick pass that negates the pas rush. Sam threw the ball 8 times last 5 yards Thursday and 9 times behind the line of scrimmage. Put no pressure on the secondary to actually have to cover

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Who might that be?

5. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Could the lack of attacking routes be because of the pass rushers they have been facing and the o lines inability to keep Sam safe.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Cman68

Jeremy's alter ego... (movie reference: Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960))
    "

Zach likes this.
  7. FJF

There’s other ways to help the pass pro.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

What a mess..just blow it up

I took a look at Miami putting it to Oakland today with reverses bombs a line that frees up RBs Ive never heard of ...Bates was picked by Bowles and joins the chorus line of Master Chan and the other putz they hired (forgot his name lol)..nothing innovative ..just predictible

Put your application in Zach your ideas are not bad!

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Whats the matter no one enjoyed ALL THOSE DAMN bubble screens ? How many of those did they attempt anyways ?

10. FJF

9. I would rather have schotty calling trips 7 yard curls on 3rd and 10 than watch that shit again.

CBG likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Fjay like many others Im sitting here with friends watching this mess, yelling at the TV " let him throw it in the middle or downfield "

FJF likes this.
  12. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Please, dear god, no.

Quincy actually converts some of these screens with his Quincy-magic.

I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be, but I absolutely agree that attacking a bit more downfield with some combination routes would open up the offense a bit more. Doesn't necessarily need to have Quincy Iso'd, either. One needs only to look at Robby Anderson's severe lack of involvement this season to see we've got untapped resources sitting around (though his newfound? fumbilitis is an issue).

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The entire line of reasoning was in part because Jets needed some quick passing game to neutralize the pass rush. If you looked the game again, you'd easily see that any quick pass by Sam always was directed to the side. If the OL can't pass block for slants and whatnot, then the team has no business playing in the NFL anyway.

Of course Q doesn't need to be isolated all the time. That wasn't the idea; I was rather perplexed by [why they weren't doing that at all.] The idea here was to [make the defense adjust to the offense] instead of giving them free rein.

On top of that - the idea behind WCO is to [stretch the defense horizontally.] Sure, we can't go deep on every down, even though Sid Gillman would rather do that than throw something short or *heaven forbid* run the ball every once in a while.

So the goal is to make sure that the defense accounts for every inch of the line horizontally. This means testing the defense at the far side, and the soft spot between the far outside and the tackle box, and lastly right up the seam along the box. All I saw during the Dolphags game and Browns game was an utter abomination. That was not a WCO that I was used to seeing. They didn't challenge any soft spot or seam. How do I know? I have not seen a single slant route or a combination route that essentially abuses these zones, i.e. zig-out or sluggo.

Ok - what if they were running man-to-man scheme all the time? That's what crossers are for. Crossers are specifically designed to beat man-to-man coverage, and I have not seen a SINGLE pass to a crossing WR in the middle of the field.

=======================================================

Maybe I shouldn't be too harsh on Bates, as he just came back from 4 year hiatus. I get it. That said, he had better get his play designs and concepts squared away, and squared away FAST. I really wasn't able to distinguish his play calling from the good old days of Brian in terms of sheer stupidity. Hopefully he will prove me wrong next week.

========================================================

P.S.

Q: "Just what the FUCK are you talking about, Zach? What is zig-out? What is "sluggo" that you so love about? JUST WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

A: Zig-out and Sluggo routes are a combination route that is based on a slant route; the WR has an option. If the covering DB is squatting on the destination for the slant pattern(1) or has a step ahead and inside(2), then the WR turns and make a beeline to the sideline, ditching the DB behind. [Zig-out]. In case of Sluggo, the starting part looks the same; the slant. Once the DB covers the slant route, the WR turns and go deep, running for daylight. It can look like a corner route once the WR starts speeding up down the sideline.

So any sluggo/zig-out route is going to be the primary read for the QB. The receiver gets a 3-step release. If the DB bites the slant during this 3-step phase, he changes direction and makes a moron out of the DB. Of course this means the QB also has to see what the WR sees. If the DB is sitting in a zone, then it becomes a conventional slant route, good for 6-7 yards at minimum.

Remember - this is ONE WR route that doesn't take long to develop. There are other combinations - 2 WR combo and 3 WR combo, even though it's kind of scarce - that you can utilize without having to make your QB sit for ages.

#13 Zach, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Oh please Norman?

At least he did something original. Anyone can kill their mother but it takes real forward thinking to keep her corpse in you house so you can still talk to her. Jeremy is just rehashing shanahan's offense without the oline and TE talent to do so.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  15. Cman68

Ok.. That's pretty bad ranking Norman ahead of Jeremy... :p:p:p

Harpua likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. I like your ideas, and thanks for the clarification on the routes.

With regards to Bates, I find it incredibly hard to believe that in his 4 years away from the game that he would just forget about basic route and offensive concepts. If he was my age, then OK, but he isn't. He's young. He had LOTS of time to think while he was hiking, and I'm sure that he spent more than a little time thinking about the game, what he had done wrong in his previous stops, how he could have done things better, and perhaps even thinking up new concepts/ideas/wrinkles for his offense. It's puzzling. I have to wonder if Bowles has told him to not run certain pass plays/routes, or if Sam has struggled with those routes/plays for some reason. Maybe Sam isn't as ready as they claimed, but they knew there was no point in starting McCown again and figured the fans would revolt. Maybe they though they had to start Sam regardless since he was the #3 pick in the draft, or maybe once they traded Teddy, they knew they had to start Sam. Whatever the case, it's puzzling.

Maybe Master Bates is just a perfect example of the Peter Principle. Perhaps QB Coach is his ceiling and he knows that he's out of his depth at OC. Maybe that's why he didn't want to take the position with the Jets and had to be talked into it ($?).

With regards to his being the brightest offensive mind on the Jets, it would have been impossible for Bates not to be with the Jets being so defense-concentric, and it would have been a scary thing for the OL coach or RB coach to have a brighter offensive mind than the QB coach. Methinks that Bates got that designation by default.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Let me go ask Bates.....

[​IMG]

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's more likely Bates is thinking about hiking during the game than the other way around...;)

19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

In regard to Robby isolation, it seemed like we were doing that. There were many times where Robby had a massive outside release and no safety over the top in the Browns game. The read wasn’t even that way and the CB would crash down. Idk wtf we weren’t looking that way.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. No. I was suggesting that they isolate Q, not Robby. If anybody realizes Sam does look in Robby's direction, they will jam Robby hard - HARD.
    2. Yeah. I did see that too. Puzzled me a lot. Probably they assumed Robby would be jammed at the LoS. Of course he wasn't - and Browns almost knew Sam wouldn't look that way. Which means: where is this thing called "half-time adjustment"? *Wink wink* SOMEBODY should have seen All-22 aerial shot in the booth, no?