Just Curious....Record For Incompletions ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Sep 28, 2009.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Collins finished 0-for-13 at the end of the game...what's the record for most incompletion in a row ? I couldn't find it online, I'm gonna guess it's 19 or 20 based on something I thought I heard years ago during a game.

BTW, HUGE difference in Collins once he faced pressure: he was at 60% completion and hitting lasers before the Jets mixed things up and started coming with 5, 6, and 7 man rushes. But once he had pressure he no longer had time to set up, cock his arm, and rifle it in there (and he does have a good arm). Difference was night and day. His entire 4th Quarter was like Brady's last drive last week.

2. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

yea collins made some excellent throws when he had time, their running game is really good and doesn't allow us to blitz as much, however on obvious passing downs (his last 13 throws) we brought the heat with good effects...it does make me nervous for next week tho, drew brees is an elusive qb in the pockt with a quick release and a bevy of options, it will be a great test and learning tool for our defense

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

His last 13 throws were not obvious passing downs. He threw a few of them on first and second downs as well, along with most of them on 3rd downs. When we say obvious passing downs, we take some credit away from the D, and that D deserves full credit. Besides, The Titans were only trailing by one score, hence you are in passind situation only on 2nd and long and 3rd and long.

That D was amazing in the fourth quarter. I couldn't believe how shitty the play calling become in the second and third quarter on both sides of the ball. This could have turned into a blow out very easily if our playcalling was slightly more agressing during those two quarters. Im satisfied though, but doubters still like to suck a few balls.

4. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Paging Cakes, come in Cakes.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The NFL does not list this record anywhere. Someone at the Elias Sports Bureau (the folks responsible for NFL record keeping) must know the answer, but it's not something that gets published.

Joe Namath was 2 of 18 on 9/29/74. The two completions came in the final two minutes of the game. I think he threw 15 or 16 passes before he completed his first one. The completions were to Willie Brister and David Knight. It's possible that Namath ended the previous game having thrown an incompletion or two or three. Therefore, it is very possible that Namath threw 17 or more consecutive incomplete passes over the course of two games.

That's about the best I can do on this.

6. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Someone might want to email the NY Times football blog or football outsiders. Certainly someone must know the answer.

7. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

i'm betting the guys in your avy know the answer, because they really, really, really seem to know everything about anything.

8. TheBlairThomasFumble

[​IMG]

:)

9. Pete Carroll

Pete Carroll New Member

Haha, do you know them personally

10. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

11. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter, I hear Jamarcus Russell is going to try and set a new record this weekend.

12. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Damn you for beating me to the punch!

-X-

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Is there a record for completions to fans in the crowd??

14. TheBlairThomasFumble

This isn't the answer for the "record" for consecutive incompletions, but in 1982, the Rams forced Saints' QB Dave Wilson to throw 18 consecutive incompletions:

http://news.google.com/archivesearc...mpletions&scoring=a&sa=N&cid=4366358242394758

He finished the day 2 - 22 in passing:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q="18+consecutive+incompletions"&btnG=Search+Archives&scoring=a