Just a thought about the NFL

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by hornblower, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yep even cowboys get to go from Romo, who they never appreciated, to Presscott. Meanwhile we've been searching for a QB for decades.. It makes me insane. It really must be the franchise.
    The elite franchise seem to find QBs bc they're stable, make the right decisions, plus a little luck.
    Franchises like the Jets can't figure out what the hell they're doing..
    But yeah I'm pulling for the falcons. If Seattle had won that game this might have been the first time I considered skipping the super bowl no matter who would have made it

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

hey we went from favre to..... mark sanchez.... fuck my fandom

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm really hoping we get Packers-Steelers in the Super Bowl. That'll be a game worth watching for a change.

4. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

The defenses are so strong any more because that's where coaches in HS and college put most of their best athletes. So the NFL has become a passing league because it has to. And if the league doesn't protect the QB's, the games will be flat out unwatchable.

5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Finally some exciting games. I thought the Green Bay ending was exciting, but I could not help but wonder how Dallas D let them go up the field in 35 seconds. I was both excited and disappointed. I was not rooting, but I hate to see Defense brought so low. It is getting alittle like college ball.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Playoff time is special

The Best versus the Best then the Very best vs the Very Best

You see things in complete perspective ie where your team is absolutely lacking, improved and where we have to go with players and CS to get to a SB

Sickening to see the same old teams out there so I usually root for the up and comers: KC- went down Atl -still in it

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its the same things that always win. quarterbacks, defenses and management. there is a reason we never win. we have only ever possessed 1 of those.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Dak Prescott lost his first playoff start for one reason: he was facing Aaron Rodgers at the top of his game.

That last drive towards the winning FG was vintage great QB taking his team on a drive when he needed too and having a receiver who hung in on the throw in an almost impossible window.

At the end of that game I was looking at Prescott and thinking that this was exactly why rookie QB's never win Super Bowls. Somewhere in the playoffs they're going to run into a great vet and he's going to show them how it's done in January. Prescott did nothing wrong that game except have Rodgers on the other sideline.

9. LarryAlRalph

Hmmm ....

Has anyone considered that if Rodgers was truly as great as everyone is claiming this week, GB wouldn't have been in that position in the first place? I like the guy and it was a terrific game, made even better with the way the Cowboys choked it off at home, but let's keep some perspective in this. (no crap to you personally).

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Because Manning or Brady never had to come from behind to win a big game.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Never fear, a type of one is coming! I read an article about it either in the Wall Street Journal or Sports Illustrated last week. Tom Brady's agent, Don Yee, former NFL WR Ed McCaffrey, and former Fox Sports Executive Jeff Husvar are forming it. It will have an advisory board that includes Mike Shanahan, former NFL SR. VP Jim Steeg, former NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira, and Adam Schefter. Even though the NFL is interested in forming a developmental league of its own, this new league is not affiliated with the NFL, but I could eventually see the NFL buying in or establishing a connection with this league if it is successful, rather than re-inventing the wheel on its own.

It will be called the Pacific Pro Football League. Right now there are only 4 teams in Southern California. Play will begin in 2018. They'll play 8 games in July and August on Sundays.

The league will control everything rather than it being on a franchise model. It will be for players 18-22 who want to play in the NFL but don't go to college. I think they'll be paid an average of $50k per season. It will be interesting to see if it works, both in terms of getting enough players who skip college, and how good a job they'll do in developing the players. I can see it being filled with a bunch of thugs, low-character types, and dunces who aren't smart enough to go to college (or don't care anything about learning).

There are some big differences from the college game or previous pro football leagues.

#31 NCJetsfan, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I call B.S.

Backup QBs might be the most interesting thing to watch in football these days. With the rules the way they are, you never know if your backup will be the next Dak Prescott or the next Johnny Manziel.

You never know when you're going to see good or awful: Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Dak Prescott, Matt Barkley, Matt McGloin, Connor Cook, Tom Savage, Jimmy Garapolo, Matt Moore, et cetera, et cetera.

Why do you think it's more watchable to just see Tom Brady throw 330 perfect 4-yard passes all season long?

13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I wrote something along these lines a few weeks ago and the thread was moved to the Draft section. The big 5 QB's (Both Mannings, Brady, Roethisberger and Rogers) have dominated the league for over a decade. Dozens of first round QB draft picks selected to compete with these guys and nothing to show for it. Chasing a franchise QB to challenge these guys has been next to impossible.

If I was the Commissioner or an owner of one of the 27 teams that doesn't have one of those guys, I would be looking at any and all rules necessary to even out the playing field and negate these guys dominance. Its amazing that the NFL has stricter rules than MLB around salary cap but MLB has more parity.

14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Great idea. I hope Portland gets a team. Sick of having to just watch soccer in the summer.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Hockey and baseball are really the only North American sports that have true developmental leagues. Every team has their own affiliates that they send their prospects to in order for them to develop further with real game experience if they aren't ready for the top tier league. Some players are just lifers at the lower level, while others may stay for a year or a few in order to develop to the point that they're ready. Additionally, these lower leagues can be used for players who are coming back from injury to get in some game time at a lower level before returning to action (although the NFL season is too short for something like this to be worthwhile). The NFL has no equivalent to this sadly. I know that it'd be tough for NFL teams to each put together a full 52 to man squad for a lower level league, have their own coaches, stadiums, etc. but I'm sure there are plenty of former college players who would sign up to make a couple hundred thousand per year to play lower level football.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The mid-90's through the mid-2000's was kind of a golden era of NFL parity. Teams had not yet figured out how to use the salary cap without blowing up every few years, the old guard elite QBs (Marino, Elway, Young, etc.) were giving way to the new young stars (Manning, Brady, Brees, etc.), elite running backs were as important or more important than elite QBs, and you still had teams winning in lots of different ways-- the Ravens, Patriots, Steelers, and Bucs were winning with Defense, the Broncos, Falcons, Chargers, and Chiefs were running the ball, the Dolphins, Raiders, 49ers, and Rams were passing the ball.....

It just feels like a lot of that diversity and parity has vanished.

17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Its wrong of me to even think this, but there is big $$ in this sport. At what point does some desperate owner pay some scrub linebacker to take Brady or Big Ben out? Helmet to helmet, tackle through the knees... There must be huge frustration with how the NFL is set up to protect these golden boy QB's. It sets people up to do strange things...

18. LarryAlRalph

You're advocating on behalf of mediocrity? Of course not, just different strokes for different folks. When I watch the Jets play NE, I want them to beat the best the other team has. I looked forward to the Brady/Manning matchups, just as I do Rodgers/Ryan this weekend. And on D, I'd rather see 4 yard dumps than those 80 yard rainbows we fed to Buffalo and several others, LOL!

19. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Man, if the Jets knew all you need is a QB then they would have gotten a good one already. Did anyone let the Jets know about this discovery because they act like they are not aware. THey think u draft DL that all play the same position to make it to the Super bowl

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I mean rodgers only threw one of the more pinpoint passes in like history. Literally no other QB could make that throw. Rodgers is literally the hardest guy to stop at the QB position.

Here's another thought, those days of the big hog mauls and having a big time run game are over. The league went shotgun over 75% of the time this year...this is a brand new league. Embrace it.