Josh Rosen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. Rosen does look skinny/frail to me, especially his arm, and that has puzzled me how many have said that he had such good arm strength. I'm glad to see someone say that it's just good and not great, because it hasn't looked great to me, but I could just be biased because his arm and frame look so skinny.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If Jets draft him, they'll instantly try to bulk him up through strength and conditioning program. Jets absolutely have to build up the o line

3. grkmanga31

8:35 mark = Rosen has wheels

8:40 mark = Amazing throw

Went from throwing strictly shotgun as a Freshman to taking snaps under center as a Sophmore. He has a strong arm, and throws a tight spiral. Accuracy throwing on the run, velocity, going through progressions.

His receivers do him no favors, but still want to see him play a little less hero ball, and become more confident facing pressure.

#83 grkmanga31, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Love his videos, can't wait to see his assessment of Josh Jr. Under pressure, he definitely folded on some plays and made some bad decisions, but he doesn't have a great team around him and he still doesn't have a great team around him in comparison to Darnold. Rosen's ball placement is excellent. Doesn't have elite arm strength, but he makes up for that in his ability to anticipate the receiver open and put it only where the receiver can get it. I think we saw Rosen perform better under pressure in the first week, but the USC game is looming and his stock will either rise or take a big hit that game.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

For sure. He also doesn't have a great arm, but he does have an NFL caliber arm.

The doing a lot with little is important as well. Sanchez, Matt Barkley and Cody Kessler put up gaudy numbers at USC while surrounded by incredible offensive talent.

Rosen seems to have that Matthew Stafford type of factor in that regardless of who is around and how good the other team is he's going to keep his team in the game.

That's what a franchise quarterback is. Even in years where the team is down on talent, they keep their teams competitive in any game. We need one of those guys.

The Lions leading rusher had 357 yards last year and they won 9 games. That's friggain remarkable.

The 2007 Colts won 13 games. Go back and look at that roster and tell me where you see a 13 win team. He manufactured a running game with Addai through the threat of his passing attack. The team had 28 damn sacks.

#85 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Rosen is not skinny; he's actually the most muscular of the original top 3. You can tell he already spends a lot of time in the weight room. He just has narrow shoulders. Because of that there is no room to "fill out" as they say. He is probably as big as he is going to get.

7. legler82

"Quarterback ass whoop" all time great line.

101GangGreen101 and grkmanga31 like this.
  8. grkmanga31

It's interesting you mention Stafford and luck. You're right, both QB's put the team on their back and because of them these teams remain in almost ever game. I find that because of the lack of talent, rosen tries to over compensate. I saw plenty of that in the Texas a&M game, but luckily for him it paid off. What's good at least is he doesn't fold under pressure, it almost seems like he dials his ballsiness a notch higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

I think this season, he will earn his reputation as a gamer, sorta like Darnold has that name for him now. The video above, they call it hero ball. Can you make good decisions under the hardest of circumstances? Stafford, defines hero ball. Look at the # of 4th QTR comebacks he's had over the past 2 seasons. The Texas A&M game was a great start for Rosen, there were times in his first 2 seasons where he would crumble under pressure, but I think he's becoming a better decision maker under those scenarios. The fake spike? No way does Rosen do that his fresh / soph year.

Jonathan_Vilma and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

The Sam Darnold video, he says "Sam Darnold could be the one to put the nipple on the titty." absolute goldmine

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If I had to pick among Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, I'd go with Rosen. [The other two had really scary looking mechanics. I wouldn't touch either one of them with 10 foot pole.]

12. 101GangGreen101

Darnold has a refining to do in his game, but he's definitely a better QB under pressure and can improvise really well. I mean it's not Tebow-esque as the ball comes out really quick. Release is solid as well.

I like Rosen a lot too though, I like him just as much Darnold, maybe a little bit more right now ... far more refined in his mechanics.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What I like about Rosen is he sets up quick and can definitely throw it downfield. I was on the Darnold train early but Rosen is stepping up his game. Darnold comment about going back to college if the Jets had the #1 pick threw me off too.

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like that thinking. If the Jets do take a QB or two then they have to get a good head coach to marry them up with and develop. I wouldn't want anyone on the current Jets coaching staff within 100 miles of them.

15. legler82

Rosen is too intelligent and head strong to have his development by a poor offensive coaching staff. Whoever can should go look at 2014 Elite 11 episode. He questions everything; it rubbed some of the coaches the wrong way but even they admitted privately that he was on a intellectual level well beyond theirs at just 17.

16. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

UCLA's running game and defense are an embarrassment. Rosen is all alone.

17. legler82

So he's ready to be a Jet!

18. legler82

Rosen is dealing again today.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I still favor Rosen, but that QB for Memphis - Riley Ferguson - is showing a great arm! Not saying he's a Heisman candidate, but he just threw two dimes to Anthony Miller that would be the envy of anyone.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Memphis has passing plays of 25, 41, 42, and 47 all in the first half. What a joke.

Is UCLA bad at recruiting or is it tough to recruit there because Rosen's words of actually having to be a student and an athlete there true?