Josh Rosen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

It wasn't his best game by any means but I would still take him if we can get him. Looking unlikely now unless Jets are willing to deal up for him

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't see trading up as possible. Even if the team with #1 was willing, they'd demand more than even Rosen is worth.

3. grkmanga31

Maybe true. A lot is left to be seen really because we don't know if Rosen declares, don't know who else declares and what QB's shake free. There's a ton of football to be played so I think teams records can change. I still think Jets will end up picking top 10, probably even top 5 or 6.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 49ers and the Chargers are both likely to draft in front of the Jets and there is no way Rosen gets by both of them. This was an interesting fantasy for a few weeks but the Jets are not going to get a chance to draft Rosen.

I'm just going to stop watching him play because he's not going to be available.

Cman68 and grkmanga31 like this.
  5. grkmanga31

Starting to think the same as Jets will have to give up a kings ransom to move up when we don't have the draft capital to do so

Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

But being a "true Jets fan" means having your dreams shattered and hopes dashed, so why not hold out hope for him? In all seriousness, lots can happen between now and the draft. The Jets have only won 2 games so far, and while many here are planning their SB reservations based on the last two weeks, I think that's a little premature.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Br4d

The problem is that in a year in which QB's are seen as being in good supply the pecking order is almost always the big conventional pocket passer with a strong arm first and then moving on from there.

1998 - either Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf could have fit that profile and they went 1,2 with Manning going first because he was clearly the quality prospect people had been talking about for 2 years at that point.

1999 -Tim Couch 1st and Donovan McNabb 2nd.

2003 - Carson Palmer 1st.

2004 - Eli Manning 1st, Philip Rivers 4th.

2006 - Vince Young 1st, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler later (this is a counter-case.)

2007 - JaMarcus Russell 1st.

2008 - Matt Ryan 3rd.

2009 - Matthew Stafford 1st.

2010 - Sam Bradford 1st.

2011 - Cam Newton 1st, Jale Locker and Blaine Gabbert later (another counter-case.)

2012 - Andrew Luck 1st, Robert Griffin III 2nd.

2014 - Jameis Winston 1st, Marcus Mariota 2nd.

2017 - Mike Trubisky 1st. Patrick Mahomes and DeShaun Watson later.

Many years there are no big pocket passers available who are clearly top of the draft material. In those years you get people like Michael Vick, David Carr, Alex Smith (Aaron Rogers - like Jared Goff in 2016 was out of the Bear Raid) and Blake Bortles taken earliest among the QB's.

Right now in 2017 the guy who has 3 years buzz and is looking like he is fully recovered from his injuries last year and who is clearly a big pocket passer is Josh Rosen and he is going to cruise to the #1 pick in the 2018 draft if he stays healthy and chooses to come out. It's just not like the NFL to take the rougher prospect with possibly a higher ceiling over the guy who plays like an NFL star already.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So where do you see Lamar Jackson going? I'm assuming he'll come out while Darnold stays and Jackson goes in the 11-19 range. Then there will likely be a big gap in signal callers with Mayfield probably being the next selection in what the 3rd round?

If we don't get Rosen or Jackson, and Darnold stays, I hope Mayfield flies under the radar as teams fall in love with bigger in stature and bigger armed quarterbacks. Mayfield would be a great player to insert into an open competition. Could be similar to the Russell Wilson situation where he won the job and never looked back. We can hope at least.

His arm in terms of velocity on the 15-20 yard passes remains a question mark. He can definitely get the ball down the field. I wonder if he can fit the ball into tight windows when throwing from opposite hash marks and what not. Not just talking about 15-20 yard gainers, but balls that need to be in air for 15-20 yards when throwing across the field and outside the numbers.

Dude is definitely a gamer and a winner.

9. Br4d

I don't know where Jackson will go. DeShaun Watson is certainly helping his draft position at this point.

Josh Rosen suffered a major blow last week when he lost Caleb Wilson for the season. Wilson was his go-to guy on 1st Down in the second half when UCLA was down and couldn't run the ball.

It'll be interesting to see how he adapts to losing the big guy over the middle.

10. ColoradoContrails

Not that we'll have a chance at getting him, but one of the reasons I think Rosen is a "sure thing" is that he's playing on a team with a lot of holes, and he's still doing well. QBs that come from teams that are strong are really hard to evaluate: are they that good, or is the team that really makes them better? I'm still hoping somehow we get lucky.

Br4d likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Weren't they saying the exact same "undersized" thing about Wash. St's defensive front vs. So. Cal's OL?

(in addition to SC's revamped OL which included both OT's one of which was injured in that game and was replaced by a frosh who hadn't played a down before?)

12. Br4d

Unlike Darnold Rosen has a lot of incentive to come out this year, with a bad team around him and taking some hits behind a porous offensive line. I think it's a coin-flip for him coming out or staying in school. I think there is still a chance he will forgo the NFL entirely and continue towards his goal of being an entrepeneur. The health issues will undoubtedly weigh on his decision.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Unlike Darnold, Rosen gets one TGG pass after another whether it's the built-in generalized excuses about his 'bad team' or the sudden radio silence this week in the wake of him totally stinking up the joint this past weekend behind a 'porous OL' that sprung Bruin RBs for 200 yards rushing:

UCLA Falls to Arizona, 47-30
    [​IMG]
    FINAL STATS (PDF)

Bruin running backs accounted for all four touchdowns, including two by Bolu Olorunfunmi, who rushed for a career-high 102 yards on 10 carries. Jalen Starks (career-high 63 yards) and Soso Jamabo (33) had the other two touchdowns.

Untimely turnovers hurt the Bruins, who dropped to 3-3, 1-2 in the Pac-12.

Quarterback Josh Rosen threw three interceptions, two in the red zone and a pick six.

Red Menace and grkmanga31 like this.
  14. grkmanga31

Starting to sour on him a bit because I figured he would need to get better as the season went on in regards to his turnovers. I still think he's the most pro ready of the bunch but a lot of teams will look at his interceptions and his inability to get that straightened out and think that he may never be able to. He has all the tools but if you're going to force the ball into risky spots, in the NFL, 9/10 times it will get picked off. If he's getting picked off like that in college, i don't care what team he has around him, he needs to be smarter with the ball.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Deshaun Watson has surprised the heck out of me. He threw 30 INTs total in his last two seasons. I thought for sure he would be a turnover machine.

16. grkmanga31

There are a few college QB's that had a lot of turnovers before coming out, most notable example for me is Matt Ryan who I believe had 17 int's in his final season before coming out.

I still think a lot of these turnover prone QB's will go high because of the nature of the NFL (no QB, not winning much), but Rosen needs to improve in the turnover department because it is very worrisome IMO

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

same, won't crown him yet as the Titans and Browns have been bad ... we shall see when teams get tape

18. ColoradoContrails

I hop he continues to throw picks and lose... so that he falls to the Jets.:)

101GangGreen101 and donkey like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

My reaction:

[​IMG]

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

We'll see how Watson holds up in December outdoor games. Not surprised to see him excel indoors and in warm weather. But that's not where the money is made...

grkmanga31 and 101GangGreen101 like this.