Josh Rosen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm looking at him more as mentor than competitor. An upgrade over Josh McCown and someone who could really help along someone like Rosen without throwing him into the fire.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I like that idea, but if I hear the word "redshirt" again, I'm gonna fucking lose it. It's okay to plan for him to "sit" for a year, but he'd better be ready to step in that first year if needed...not saying that's ideal, but if he doesn't have the ability to do that, then he's not a FQB IMO.

Another name to think about bringing on board - not in a playing capacity - but someone here mentioned the other day about getting Peyton Manning to be the next GM. Maybe he could be brought in as a QB Coach, or in some capacity and be the guy to teach whoever we get how to be that FQB.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  3. xxedge72x

I'm not advocating a "redshirt" year per se. But rather, look what the Bears are doing with Trubisky. Glennon looks like garbage and arguably they'd get better if Trubisky came in... that said, they aren't rushing him because they want to get their shit together first. Trubisky likely will play at some point this year but they aren't in a rush to put him in a bad position. I like that approach. If Brees came here and the Jets actually gave us a competitive season then there's no need to play Rosen. If they suck again, then Rosen can get reps later in the season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Brees' splits in the dome vs. outdoors are a huge red flag though.

For his career his stats look like this...

Dome (111 games): 65-46, 34,683 yards on 68.78% with 259 touchdowns to 105 interceptions
    Outdoors (115 games): 61-54, 28,932 on 64.38% with 192 touchdowns to 105 interceptions.

5,751 less yards and 67 less touchdowns to the same amount of interceptions in 4 less games

I get what you're saying, and I like the idea of getting someone like him on a one year deal, but I can't see him playing well here or even wanting to come here.

He'd be a good fit maybe in Arizona assuming Palmer is out there, or Houston maybe (even though they already started Watson)? He needs to play in warm weather.

#184 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  5. xxedge72x

It doesn't have to be Brees. I just don't want to draft someone like Rosen and anoint them day 1 starter before they've participated in a minicamp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I get what you're saying. The pickings are slim though.

We're looking at Brees, Bradford and Cousins whom will all be too expensive for that purpose. Bradford will likely want to stay with Shurmur and command bigger money anyways. Cousins will be looking at that $100 million range (negating the draft pick) and he's probably going to San Francisco anyways.

Then we have...
    QB Josh McCown
    QB Jay Cutler
    QB Drew Stanton
    QB Mark Sanchez
    QB Jay Cutler
    QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
    QB Chad Henne
    QB Derek Anderson
    QB Matt Moore
    QB Teddy Bridgewater
    QB Geno Smith
    QB Case Keenum
    QB Scott Tolzien
    QB Blaine Gabbert

Maybe we could get Teddy Fieldgoal on the cheaper side? This is why we should play Petty as much as possible and maybe he could be that bridge quarterback. We won't know unless he fricken plays already though.

7. xxedge72x

I still find Brees the best solution out of that bunch simply for the fact that he's at the end of his rope. He won't need a mega contract like Cousins. What he needs is a reason to come here; in my opinion there is only one: Sean Payton. I think if Payton isn't the Jets head coach next year, then Brees is a pipe dream and this is pointless speculation. Beyond that... maybe keep McCown another year?

I do agree 1000% that I wish Petty were playing right now.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would love to get Teddy on this roster, should he be healthy next year. He could still be a FQB. Sign him and draft Rosen and you got yourself a really good competition. Upgrade the line, running game as well.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of it but the execution of it may be troublesome. I think if we do get rosen or darnold, having a clear cut backup is probably better rather than having a former starter who is still young on the roster. Teddy will probably command a ton of money, and if he does shake free from the Vikings, he'll be looking to be the starter on another team. I'm not wasting a top 3 pick on a QB to have him sit and watch and although I know teams do that (Mitch Trubisky is experiencing that now), I think Darnold and Rosen come in and start right away, they are that pro ready in my eyes.

I would rather use the money spent on Teddy and sign a really good o-lineman. 80 mil in cap seems like a lot, but with the amount of holes we have on this roster (Linebacker, Corner, EDGE rusher, Oline, maybe WR) that money will be gone very quickly.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think Teddy would cost a lot. His injury is concern and he has to prove himself to be healthy. I can see him taking a 1 year deal and competing for the job. Should he play decent, we could perhaps trade him during the preseason, so we would have to have a plan in terms of having 3 QBs on the roster. It's an option, but it would probably never happen especially if the Jets draft Rosen / Darnold.

Regardless the offense needs a facelift. Defense needs edge rushers, but really liked Teddy coming out of the draft, should he be healthy he has value to a team.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

QB1 vs a defense that is usually pretty good up next on ESPN.

Let's go Josh.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Heads up play by Rosen there on third down.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Awesome thanks for the reminder. A good way to finish off a good day of watching future prospects.

Wyoming is also on ESPN2. Started out 2/5 for 14 yards in the first quarter. Just airmailed his receiver by 15 yards Tebow style.

Feels like this kid is just going to fizzle out. He's certainly no Carson Wentz.

#193 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Rosen put the ball where it needed to be. Receiver had to lay out for it, but that needs to be caught. Ends up as an interception. That's his best receiver too and the lack of talent around Rosen rears its ugly head again en route to a turnover.

Hopefully he shakes it off.

NYJFOREVER and Big Cat like this.
  15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm gonna wind up missing the rest of this game because I have to wake up early to attend 3 hours of torture tomorrow afternoon.

Luckily it's the only one I'm going to this year.

Jonathan_Vilma and NYJFOREVER like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Rosen has rebounded after a rough stretch, including the pick. He doesn't lack confidence. I'd like to see him working more under center. Still my #1.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Lol. I got offered a free ticket to go tomorrow and declined. I talked to two of my friends that are Jets fans and they're absolutely dreading going tomorrow.

UCLA's offense has made adjustments to run quicker plays to help Rosen out.

He just fired another strike into the end zone in between two defenders and the receiver of course didn't hang on. He threw his fastball on that one, pinpoint throw.

Andddd the field goals blocked. UCLA can't get out of their own way.

Rosen is incredibly resilient though. Easy throws on that drive for him, but he keeps firing away despite being out of rhythm early and getting no help from any other unit on his team. It's encouraging.

18. ColoradoContrails

Perfect throw, hit the receiver in the numbers but he couldn't hold onto it. Kid's got an arm!

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I have to ask, because this is scaring me and I don't know if I'm the only one that's seeing it, or if I'm missing something here.

His delivery is impeccable, but it really looks like he's staring down some of his receivers. I can't tell if it's just a really crisp head motion that gives away where he's going with the ball but I feel like I can see where the throw's going before he releases - and I can't tell if he's just seeing his first read open or is pre-determining the throws. Is this just me?

The arm talent is undeniable.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Not entirely sure why the Bruins supporting cast is so bad. They had the 12th ranked recruiting class in 2015, 13th in 2016, and 20th in 2017. This is according to 24/7 Sports. I checked a couple of sites and they were all give or take a few spots.

Has there been a ton of transfers? Suspension? Academic ineligibility? If it's none of these, that has to all fall back on the coaching and player development aspect of coaching. Might be time for a change there.