Josh mccown starting confirmed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Laxg41, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

They have Mackenberg for that critical job.

2. Cman68

Evidently playing anyone besides McCown is tanking. The kids at some point will have to play with a QB not named McCown. Perhaps after McCown's 3 year extension (or 41st BDay whichever comes first).

#62 Cman68, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. Cman68

Ummm.. are you saying that running the scout team is indicative of how they would perform in a real game? Since the kids only run the scout teams, the only time the CS sees them is when they're running the scout team with the bottom of the roster guys. If that's how they're gonna evaluate their QB's, Macc would be better off just leasing QB's off the FA market and continuing to draft BPA-D. Knowing how this team develops young QB talent, staying in school should be the first thing that comes to mind if one of these Kid QB's gets his name called by the Jets.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No I meant the QB Coach, offensive coordinator and head coach watch these guys everyday. They've seen these guys play more then we have. Personally, I don't think neither of them are very good after their showings in TC. I am sure McCown isn't the only 1 getting reps, I am sure Petty is getting a few reps here and there as well.

Time to move on and get a good QB prospect. I would rather be drafted by the Jets then the Browns or Giants. This team has some weapons, once they fix up the line a little bit, the offense will be in much better shape.

5. 101GangGreen101

Watching Petty and Hack stink it up wouldn't accomplish anything either, I think the Jets are ready to get a new QB in here. Petty had 3 seasons to prove he's better then McCown, Hack had 2.

6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The stats don't support your view.

The top 10receivers are the team are:

Anderson (WR yr 2)
    Kearse (WR vet)
    ASJ (TE vet)
    Forte (RB vet)
    Kerley (WR vet)
    Powell (RB vet)
    Tomlinson (TE)
    McGuire (RB)
    Tye (TE)
    Stewart (Rookie)

Stewart, with 5 receptions for 36 yds is the only rookie WR in the top 10. Hansen is 11th with 3 receptions, Peake has 1. With the exception of Anderson every other WR in the top 10 is a vet.

Starting McClown has done nothing to help Stewart, Hansen or Peake in-game. This season is all about Toilet trying to get enough wins to save his job, it has nothing to do with developing a young QB or young WR.

Right now Buf, Mia, Balt and Oak have fewer losses and Buf is WC#2. Once the list of teams ahead of the Jets grows or the distance in games to catch up grows, and it will given the Jets schedule they need to get one of the young guys in to see what they can do, if anything.

7. Cman68

Getting a good QB prospect is one thing.. DEVELOPING said prospect is quite another. If the Jets have actually turned the corner when it comes to developing QB's, I'd have a little more faith that Macc can deliver the goods. However, so far Macc hasn't done very well with spotting QB talent later in the draft so you'd have to hope he could pull a blind squirrel trick and find one in the higher 1st rd. Even if he does manage to pull that off, who's gonna develop him? I doubt if Todd is up to that job since he's a D-coach first. Morton and Bates perhaps can but that's yet to be proven. Gailey wasn't interested in developing Petty or Mackenberg and that's probably a huge part of why they're not as far along as they should be. Morton said as much when he got here.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

McCown starting is better for the other young players. Anderson, Hansen, and Stewart can't develop if Hack airmails them, McGuire can't develop if the defense stacks the box every time, etc. Also by starting the best players instead of just young players, it forces the other young players to play hard to keep their spots. Face it, the tank isn't going to happen. Even if we lose out, we'll still finish better than the Browns, Giants, and 49ers. At this point I'd like to go 7-9 with a young roster, draft OL, and use our cap space on Cousins, who won't sign here if we lose out. Our roster is better than Washington's, and when Brady retires in a couple years we'll have the best QB in the division.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Is anyone really surprised by this? Fact is they have failed miserably to coach up these young QB. TB is and should be a DC only. He is and has been a terrible HC... I wouldn't trust him coaching a pee wee FB team let along evaluate any QB. The "only" reason Mac is playing is because TB is coaching for his job.... he don't give a rats ass about FQB if he did he would have developed both young QBs.... To say he has is erroneous.

10. Cman68

Your math is off. Petty has had 1 year to prove he's better than a 11yr vet. Petty also had Gailey "developing" him for his first 2 years so that was a handicap in itself. Petty played on a team with a toxic atmosphere in the locker room and had quit on the field and still managed to win a game leading a comeback on the road.

Poor Mackenberg never stood a chance until this preseason when the "competition" was clearly rigged in his favor. Had Gailey actually took the time to develop him, it was Mackenberg's job on a silver platter.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

That's because Stewart and Hansen have barely played. Can't throw to someone when they aren't on the field McFly. Robbie still having a great season, ASJ having a great season.

Chad Hansen snap % Weeks 1-8: 10% Weeks 9-10: 59%
    ArDarius Stewart snap % Weeks 1-8: 21% Weeks 9-10: 21%

They've at most played some special teams, they are finally getting reps now.

Peake sucks.

12. 101GangGreen101

He had last year to prove he was better then Fitzpatrick. Listen, I know you like Petty, like Paxton Lynch he's a real bro, but the kid has no future here, maybe he'll catch on as a back-up on another team.

Hack had his shot and blew it, he didn't look any better then his rookie campaign. We can blame coordinators and such, but at the end of the day, these QBs didn't control what they can control.

FJF likes this.
  13. Cman68

These kids never got developed by the people whose job it should have been to do exactly that. If this team can't be bothered with such mundane things as nurturing young QB's, they shouldn't draft them in the first place. Kinda like the worst NYC public schools in the 80's. Kids never got taught anything but passed anyway. If the Jets were parents, they would be jailed for child neglect.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Playing anyone who is not the best option to win the game at hand is tanking.

Jets69 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  15. Cman68

101, I'll go so far as to say Petty will not only start in this league, but will become a upper echelon QB one day before his career is over. He'll join the legion of QB's who were successful with their second or third teams. They said Goff sucked before Jeff Fisher got bounced. Look at him now. Alex Smith sucked in Frisco. Look at him in KC. Bret Farve sucked in Atlanta. What happened in Green Bay?

Petty's next team will tell the tale as long as it isn't Cleveland. All the kid needs is REAL playing time. Not some bullshit running the scout team offenses. I dunno about Mackenberg but I can say he will never flourish here. He's the GM's pet and even that luster is losing its shine after 2 years of no results.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This is what asking Failey/Patullo tag team to develop a young QB is like:

[​IMG]

Blaming the kids because they didn't grow enough under the tutelage of Failey/Patullo is equally disastrous. Seriously, it takes special kind of retard to make that kind of claim.

Don't just take my words for it; look at the track record of QBs that played under Failey's influence, and spot me a SINGLE decent starter that he developed.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  17. Cman68

I disagree. You have to know what you have in order to make an informed decision. Mack is going into the 2018 draft with almost the same lack of knowledge he had going into the 2017 draft when it comes to his QB's. He's playing it safe with McCown after getting burned with Mackenberg. Losing purposely for a higher draft pick is tanking. Losing while learning what you have is evaluating. Oh yeah, you do know that Petty has won a game in the NFL right? Come from behind on the road? After the team had mailed it in?

18. Cman68

Exactly my point...Thank you Zach!

19. 101GangGreen101

I have a better chance of being a GM IMO ... I wish all the success in the world for Petty, maybe by some chance most of us are wrong, but I don't think he will do much after he leaves the Jets. Again could be wrong, but I am ready to move on and I think this regime is ready to move on as well. For every player like Goff / Favre and Smith there are a bunch of QBs that never amount to anything like Brock Osweiler.

Should be a much different depth chart next year.

FJF likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

Hypocritical comments by you Zach, so you blame Petty and Hack sucking due to the coordinators, yet back in that Sanchez discussion a few weeks ago, not once did you blame Schottenheimer and his shortcomings. Sanchez is better then both Petty and Hack. Schotty far worse then Gailey.

FJF likes this.
  21. Cman68

You can add almost 26 of the last 30 QB's since Namath in that group. Unless this Regime fully commits to QB development, its not gonna matter who they draft or when they draft them.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  22. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Anderson was a special player from the time he came into the league, his problem was Fitzpatrick could not get him the ball, he would have had 7 or 8 TDs his first year if Jets had a QB who could throw a deep ball.

The only reason Hansen and Stewart are seeing playing time is because kerley is suspended, I will guarantee you when he comes back Bowles will insert him as the 3rd guy on depth chart, Hansen and Stewart will go back to seeing no playing time!

Mark my words it will happen, that's who Bowles is.

He has started Mayes and Adams but those guys are not playing like rookies, they came in turn key ready to start. that's how good they were.

In all fairness, I don't want any of these 3 guys back as QBs for jets, no team should hitch their future to a 38 bottom of the barrel QB or to young QBs who can't beat out a scrub 38 year old QB.

Let's start from scratch next year with the QBs, draft 2 qbs in April.

SOJAZ likes this.
  23. 101GangGreen101

Brett Ratliff, Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez didn't do anything after they left here. I do agree, they need to commit, but first they need to find someone that's worth that commitment. They tried allocating time to Hack, but it didn't work out in the end. It was a bad selection. Petty a 4th rounder, you need to come in and prove your worth and I don't think Petty did that. Wilson drafted in the 3rd, took over that locker room right away.

FJF likes this.
  24. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The only thing mac needs to know is his 2 qbs couldn’t beat out mccown last summer. And really, petty won a game so he must be starter material?
    Tebow won a playoff game, move over Tom Brady, amiright?

Jets69 likes this.
  25. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

petty admitted that he was so green that had to learn everything about being a qb. he didnt even know what the mike linebacker is ... that doesnt sound like someone has the drive to be a successful nfl qb

but its all the coaches fault

Jets69 and FJF like this.