Josh McCown ruined this season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

So what QB would you draft that the Jets needed to be a top 5 pick for? Darnold maybe going back to school and he hasn't looked good at all. Rosen may go high still but he hasn't had a great season. Falk will be available in round 2 or later. Rudolph and Mayfield likely can be picked in the middle first or later. Jackson is likely a late first at the moment. So far it looks like tanking would have been awful, imaging reaching for one of these QB's that are struggling currently as a high first !

FJF and hornblower like this.
  2. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

But I don't think you are correct. Some teams simply do not have the staff and culture to pick the right guy. I'd like the best chance possible.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This makes no sense.

"We'll never make the right decision!"
    "I want to have the biggest pool of QBs possible in front of our FO when they make their decision!"

Make up your mind. You either trust our staff to get it right or you don't.

FJF likes this.
  4. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

I don't trust them at all, if you pick number one which I wanted. Come draft time there will be a consensus number one guy. I want that guy

5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Rudolph, Mayfield, and Falk aren't the answer

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There is not going to be a consensus number one with this crop of QBs. I don't think we've ever had a year where any one of 5 guys could be the best. Closest is the Ben/Rivers/Eli year and guess what? The guy who was selected last of that trio was the best.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

If they had top receivers and a better offensive line he could get them in the playoffs. He really has play pretty well.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

How many dropped catches are we up to now ?

I thought we had been very good in keeping hold of them this season.

9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Clemson kid wasn't the consensus number one. Either was Wentz.

BacktoQueens, FJF and Red Menace like this.
  10. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

How could you say that with even the slightest modicum of confidence? Every year there's a guy that nobody anticipates much out of who blows away expectations. Wilson, Prescott, Carr, and Cousins are all recent examples of that.

HomeoftheJets, boozer32 and K'OB like this.
  11. JethroTull

Falk plays in Mike Leach's Air Raid system that doesn't translate in the NFL (they are essentially a Big 12 team playing int he PAC 12)

I'd avoid any QB from the Big 12. How is Rudolph and Mayfield different from Petty or Geno Smith?

The QB's I would draft next year are as followed:
    Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, Allen, Tanner Lee

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Dreadfully bad as oppose to horribly bad for another decade. Sure look forward to more BPA available defensive ends every year and next years starting QB's Brian Hoyer.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

McCown hasn't ruined this season...Bowles choosing to play him has. But TBF, you can't tank, and if you're going to try and get your players to play hard, then you have to show them you're doing everything you can to let them succeed. It's a fine line to walk. I didn't like it at first, but in hindsight see that playing McCown at the beginning made sense, but I really think Petty needs to get some time in these games too. Like last night - why not bring him in when they were up 3+ scores? Even if they've decided Petty isn't good enough, does it make sense to not have him ready in case McCown gets hurt? This reinforces my opinion that Bowles doesn't know how to manage an offense, especially the QB, and that doesn't bode well for the future.

Getting back to McCown though, I'm glad he's playing well..I would never root against that.

14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

This entire thread should be used as a commercial for how stupid the NFL draft system is.
    Any system that rewards sucking, and encourages a fan base to root against their own team is automatically the dumbest idea in history.

BacktoQueens, FJF and Walt White like this.
  15. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

How are Rudolph and Mayfield different than Petty or Geno Smith? Besides the fact that they're different people with different coaches, skill sets, talent levels, personalities, temperaments, attitudes, and ambitions, they're all exactly the same. Point taken.

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Who then, your guy Tanner Lee?

17. JethroTull

Tanner Lee has legit Pro-Style potential. He was the best QB at the Manning passing academy this year.

Big 12 QB's do not translate to the NFL. All those guys put up inflated stats because nobody in the conference plays any defense.

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Who said anything about the Big 12? Everybody and their mother knows they operate in one-read schemes in a no-D conference.

Tanner Lee has legit pro size and a big arm.

Tanner Lee has also shown bad instincts that all too often translate into (very) bad decisions. Four picks vs. so-so Oregon, 3 picks against 'powerhouse' Northern Illinois, i.e. SEVEN interceptions in back-to-back games vs. middling competition? And, showing off a big arm in shorts in a controlled environment such as the Manning passing academy vis-a-vis Saturdays against a live pass rush is akin to an impressive batting cage hitting session. His TD/INT ratio and his completion pct. is suspect.

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Saw a random tweet yesterday and it had me thinking. Thoughts on using our 2nd round picks to trade back into the 1st and take Mayfield?

Granted I really haven't seen much of his play this year, so I am genuinely asking.

20. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Good grief. Only in the land of GangGreendom could good QB play "ruin the season." <SMFH> This team is a lot better on several levels than they were last year, not just at QB. Also from the 4 games I've seen, they're playing with a lot more heart and pride than last year, and I think McCown's play (while yes, he's still had some gaffes) has contributed to the overall team attitude. The OL plays hard for him, harder than anything I saw last year. No matter what McCown is or isn't, he's not a diva or a drama queen. Rather, he seems more like a leader. I never got that sense from Fitz. And no matter who or where they draft, they're going to be a better team going in at that time, in large part because of this season (although that Miami game sticks in my craw). So for the myriad FQB whiners here who think someone is going to magically appear and make us Pats 2.0, give that a rest or go watch Peter Pan. The effort on the field vastly exceeds that from the sideline, which is where the bigger problem persists. This team desperately needs to find a real DC. Cripes, we're minus 50-something in 4th Q points, and that's hardly all on McCown. Don't even get me started on freaking Bowles - whom I blame for Rogers.