Josh McCown appreciation thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BacktoQueens, Nov 7, 2017.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

McCown has impressed me this season.
    Thought it worthwhile for a well earned positive thread instead of some of the others on here.

Here is a good article regarding Pennington's views on McCown.
    http://nypost.com/2017/11/07/chad-pennington-makes-case-for-another-year-of-josh-mccown/

Short of landing someone like Cousins, I tend to agree about bringing McCown back.
    He seems like a positive influence for the team and QB's, and is willing to pass the reigns when the time comes (as Pennington points out).
    Re-signing him certainly wouldn't prevent me from drafting another QB.

But future aside, I'm enjoying his play in the present, and I think he's helping this offense get settled.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

At some point the Jets have to use this season to see what the young cats can do.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While McCown has played much better than was expected, in no way do I think he should be back unless Petty or Hack get to play this year and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are not going to be the answer. I think the Jets should draft a QB and have Petty and Hack as their 3 QBs.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You know what happened the last time Pennington picked a Jets QB? Hackenberg happened. I don't trust Pennington.

[​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Bringing McCown back would be like hitting up the one night stand the next night to have dinner.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

When she wouldn't suck when she was supposed to.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No.

Peebag likes this.
  8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Unless he has magically turned into a different quarterback than he’s been for his entire career he should not be part of the Jets future. He is having a career year, so good for him, but it ultimately will have virtually no long-term effect on the team. If the Jets don’t see what they have at QB at some point this season they’ll be in exactly the same position they were two years ago.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's having a much better year than predicted, but still has cost them games with bad decisions/execution, and that's the story of his career. I wouldn't mind him returning EXCEPT that if he's on the tam Bowles will play him at the expense of any younger guys. At some point - next game wouldn't be too soon IMO - he needs to become the backup, but with Bowles that isn't going to happen.

NCJetsfan, Dierking, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  10. Jetmart15

Jetmart15 New Member

Eerily similar to Fitzpatrick.

If the Jets want McCown back, he will be asking for more money and at 39,he is not part of the long term future. If he does indeed come back, it must be made clear he is not the starter and will have to duke it out again in camp.

Cman68 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If he pulls a Jim Plunkett and takes the team to a SB victory.....yes

Maybe this team has some strange magic who knows....

12. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Yeah I really appreciate that next year we will trot out a 39 year old over achieving bum while the Giants show off their brand new top of the draft franchise quarterback that we were supposed to get. Everyone is acting all happy here but if I told you at the start we would finish 6-10 and the Giants draft a qb ahead of us you would all be laughing saying that is beyond a nightmare and would never happen. Well it is happening because SAME OLD JETS

13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Hated picking up Fitz, hated picking up McCown.
    We're just kicking the can down the street to avoid the issue.

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I appreciate what he's done for this team for sure - he is the anti-fitzpatrick, but at some point Jets will need to recognize that you can't keep plugging in retread QB's and have it work. McCown is a savior in the locker room and has boosted team chemistry for sure, but he's 38 years old and the Jets will need to address QB in the offseason (I'm starting to think that Jets will continue to bench Petty and Hack).

15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I like McCown. Like that this year we've won games, but I don't want him back next year unless as the clear number 2 or as an assistant coach.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nothing personal HomeoftheJets but Chad didn't pick anything. Besides, picking any development QB and marrying him with Gailey for two years is as worthless a plan as picking a stud TE with Gailey at the helm. What Bowles saw in Chan is beyond idiotic. Chad P could have done wonders with the kid, and I still think he should some day be our QB coach..

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

These decisions don’t need to be made in early November. So much can happen between now and offseason that will help tell the story.

Right now I wouldn’t mind McCown coming back and competing with say Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walt White and All Gas No Shake like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Most of you know I have been adamant against not playing Petty and or Hack this year for the very many reasons we have discussed at nausea. But BacktoQueens makes some good points about McCown performance that can not be immediately dismissed, particularly with our CS.

Here is how I see it. Had we won the games against Miami and Atlanta like we should have the path would have been clearer. There is no way McCown is benched in the midst of a play off run so lets strap ourselves for another year of who in the hell the FQB will be.
    Had it gone the other way with more losses and we would be playing Petty right now. But instead we are in no man land, winning enough to do nothing. The CS is still believing on a chance for a playoff, and as long as the chance is there we will not know shit about a FQB potential in 2018.

IMO the timing for a change is rapidly becoming completely hosed and far more convoluted, with so many mediocre teams it will probably drag the decision to the point that by the time we get eliminated it will be too late to find out anything about the kids.

So with that in mind, draft a QB or not, I don't see this coaching staff going to camp without a vet. And unless we go balls out after Cousins, we might see Macopter running around Jetland once again. Ideal, hell no, but someone needs to unseat McCown in training camp for this CS to make a change...and it wont happen without some field exposure. The Rams QB had an absolute shit year in 2016......but look at him now under an offensive minded coach. All it takes is smart coaching and some balls. We are not in that situation, so another year of McCown is a real possibility.

wampa and Cman68 like this.
  19. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I would tend to disagree with this. I would be very worried if we went into next season with 2 QBs with only 4 combined starts(plus a Rookie QB)

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm already prepairing for McCown2.0. Just another year in a long line of years of mediocre records and glimmers of what could be. We'll see the usual flashes of greatness sprinkled in with truly mysterious circumstances that will both work for and against us.

The Sphinx will return as well so the only question that remains is the same question its always been. Who's playing QB? Im rapidly approaching the don't care zone regarding the QB situation unless I see a REAL effort to draft and develop one.

Retreads just dont get me excited anymore so if McCown stays or goes, great... Just another year in JetLand.