Josh Allen!!!!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BuffaloPhysco, Apr 28, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Allen looks better than I thought he would. But Buffalo is gonna end up starting him now that Mccarron is hurt. Their offensive line is worse than ours and that's saying something and they open with 3 of the first 4 on the road. It's gonna be rough

Harpua likes this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^Three of their first four games are on the road? And I always thought the Jets got screwed by flying them to the West Coast every 5 minutes. I'm gonna check out the Bills full schedule, but burn baby burn. Too bad about McCarron. Tough break. No pun intended.

3. jetophile

#83 jetophile, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. BrowningNagle

and the only home game in that stretch is the Chargers, the team with the best pass rush in the league. @Baltimore, Chargers, @Vikings, @Packers..... with Josh Allen. haha

5. jetophile

I just checked it out and the Chargers are in between. Good luck, Maria.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Allen does look better than I expected right away. That sid I expected him to be horrible instead he has been decent. The arm talent is there if he can improve his pre snap reads and decision making the Bills may have a QB.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Watched Hard Knocks last night, Allen may have singlehandedly cut DE Nate Orchard of Cleveland. Poor guy was had a chance to sack Allen 3 times in the same drive and Allen eluded him all 3 times; a couple times he wasn't even blocked.

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Bills announced he is starting this week vs the Bengals. He finally gets in their with the starters and goes against the Bengals starting D. Game is Sunday at 4:00 on Fox. With McCarron out I imagine he will be their starting QB once the season starts.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Ill take Nate Orchard on this roster.

10. BrowningNagle

Deadspin with the best description of Bills fans and Buffalo I've seen in a great while:

"At this point, the whole #BillsMafia thing is like watching a decrepit rock band from the 70s still try to tour. It’s played out and everyone involved is sad and drunk and near death. Buffalo itself is just warehouses full of Labatt blue and people pissing on snow banks. There’s a subway that runs under a single street and that represents the apex of that city’s modernity. Buffalo is like if Detroit collapsed but no one cared."

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2018-buffalo-bills-1828520010/amp?__twitter_impression=true

11. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I would not start Allen as the first 3 or 4 games are brutal. We have a terrible line and not great receivers. I also heard we have the second hardest schedule against pass defenses. I’d wait at least the first month and let Peterman be the sacrificial lamb.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I agree that may be your best plan. Allen shows flashes both good and bad and it would not hurt to have him get a short look at the on field action, but he's much further along than I expected at this point.

13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I disagree that he’s shown “bad flashes.” I’m pretty critical of him (I was disappointed in the pick) but I’ll admit he’s done nothing so far that concerns me. I expect that will change this Sunday, but so far, I’ve been wrong about him. He should look confused and not ready to play this Sunday. That would be normal for a small school kid going to the nfl and facing a real 1st string defense. I expect lumps this year. If he’s anything other than a little off I would be extremely excited.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

So you don't think running backwards 20 yards and tossing the ball over your shoulder into a defensive lineman was a bad play? The kids has been good but he's done somethings i'd expect out of Mark Sanchez as well.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  15. Honestly.. everything hes shown is what i expected.Imposing physical ability,good command of the offense & off the chart arm talent.The accuracy/incompetence arguments were complete nonsense.

That said the criticisms that were legit for him IE decision making & working through progressions remain.Ive yet to see him come off a primary target on a play that hasnt broken down so we have no idea where hes at on this..acouple of the throws hes completed were telegraphed & likely get picked off in regular season. This willl take time & this development will play a huge part in his ultimate success or failure

legler82 and Harpua like this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I’ve always felt the accuracy issues were there. When he rips it he throws with good accuracy, but on throws where he is supposed to take something off it, everything falls apart. Short throws and swing passes seem to haunt him. His deep ball is elite given a clean pocket.

He needs time. At least half a season IMO. He’s got great tools but needs to get the mental side down. It’s why he was far and away my 4th qb this draft. You can’t teach what he has, but the other young QBs seemed to have much less to learn.

17. Of the “big 4” hes the least accurate except on deep throws where hes 1 or 2.

What i was more referring to is this idea that he had completely non functional accuracy as a QB ala Hack. Short/intermediate accuracy is not his strength but its manageable w tools for improvment.

I think an offense can be catered to Allen’s strengths & he can be a pro bowl level player.But he needs the right surrounding cast,OC etc.In the jets case that wasnt gonna be in Jeremy Bates scheme. He also needs to develop mentally as you already alluded to.Anxious to see him work through progressions & how he handles1st string defenders.Fir all we know we havent seen that yet for a good reason

legler82 and Harpua like this.
  18. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Allen was clearly my number 4 but he's no where near as bad as Hack.

Allen has functional accuracy and he'll be a somewhat successful QB because of his physical traits and his massive arm.

Hack was horrifically inaccurate and he was a statue in the pocket and would turtle under pressure.

Harpua and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That was an ugly play, to me Darnold is leaps better in the pocket in terms of feeling and the pressure.

Edit - beers

#99 101GangGreen101, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    KurtTheJetsFan and Harpua like this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It was ugly. It was a play that reminded me of Mark or Geno ... if Allen learns to eliminate that type of big mistake it will be huge for the Bills ... hopefully he doesn’t :D

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.