Josh Allen anyone??

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Jun 9, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear with what I was asking. I wouldn't be worried about his being a Johnny Football type, either.

What I was trying to ask was if you think NYC might be too big, too noisy, too overwhelming for someone from a small farming community. The microscope he'd play under here where every mistake would be magnified a hundred fold, might be too much pressure for the kid. Can you imagine trying to be the savior of the Jets franchise/fan base?

I've also met a lot of people in my life both during the time I lived in NYC and afterwards, that were obviously intimidated by NYC. They said they couldn't imagine living there and wouldn't want to. Most had said that they had never even visited it and had no desires to. I believe that there have been some FAs who didn't sign with the Jets because of that same kind of thing.

Odds are he may like to hunt and fish, and he likes driving around in his pickup truck. Well he couldn't do that in NYC, and even northern NJ would be a tough place for someone to adjust to from a small farming community in CA.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well lets see, I was born and raised in NYC and wouldn't want to live there anymore either however if I still lived there and wanted to fish, I certainly could find many places not far from NYC to do it. Just because a person likes a more rural as opposed to a urban lifestyle doesn't mean he couldn't play in the TriState. Think of the black ballplayers that play for Green Bay or the Vikings. They certainly don't stay there year round. They live in the area until the season is over then they head out to parts unknown. I would imagine a Cali kid like Allen would pretty much enjoy what the city has to offer but when he wants to breathe clean air and enjoy some space, he'll catch a flight or take a road trip to where he wants to be and simply go.

We are living in the most mobile of times. No generation has had the level of mobility that we enjoy now and I would imagine in the near future, commuting from LA to NY won't be so uncommon. Phil Jackson probably was the first to try it.

If Allen wants to hunt or fish? he'll have plenty options be it upstate NY or anywhere really. If, and its a huge IF, Allen can stay grounded and keep his head on straight, he'll be fine. It all comes down to character..

The Waterboy and TonyFtLaud like this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I don't know. I think he can adjust . He doesn't have to live in Manhattan , the team and there are plenty of quiet places to live in NY and NJ. Obviously he can't hunt in the 5 boroughs but there are plenty of places to Hunt in the states of NY and NJ. and you can fish anywhere.
    I know here in the South Florida area, many of the Miami players, be it Dolphins, Heat or Marlins live in a very rural area know as South West ranches in Broward county. It's horse country with no night life , just fields, horses and Gators. They go out to South Beach of Ft Lauderdale but most don't live there.
    It may actually take a kid like him to handle the pressure. Out hunting or fishing on his time off away from the media. I guess it really comes down to how strong a person he is mentally. He may actually enjoy NY City. He comes from Fresno which is right in the middle of LA and San Francisco. I imagine he has been to both. I grew up in Brooklyn, worked in Manhattan and did plenty of fishing, hunting and camping . Fishing right there, hunting and camping within an hour's drive so it's all available to him .

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

College football will definitely be more interesting this year. Hopefully each of the 3 have big years plus 1 or 2 others of the lesser prospects right now.

Right now I'd rank them Darnold, Allen, Rosen, we'll see how the season plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pags2112 likes this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I also grew up in NYC and we used to walk/bike to go fishing around City island, up Shore Rd into New Rochelle, we used to also go camping multiple times a year. People living in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten island have even more fishing than i did in the Bronx. From East Rutherford there are a multitude of fishing and hunting areas, hell there is a fishing thread and a hunting thread on this site started by those that live in the area.

That doesn't even address the players on the team that were, gasp, from country areas yet had no problem playing for the Jets. How soon we forget about Mangold.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Thanks. You're probably right. I'm not really worried about it, was just curious. If we draft him, I hope he can adjust or wouldn't have a problem playing/living in the area. I know that there are areas to hunt and fish, but during my 16 years in NYC, most of the hunters I met went out of the area (NY/NJ) to hunt.

#46 NCJetsfan, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I think you're probably right. Kids today are exposed to a lot more thanks to social media and the internet. I guess I'm showing my age. LOL I remember some players from my youth who didn't want to live or play in NYC or who didn't play well until they left and went to small market teams.

To be clear, I'm not worried about it, was just curious.

TonyFtLaud and Cman68 like this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

I know for me, it was the opposite. When living in Bklyn and working in NYC, I could always escape to someplace quiet. Then Merrill Lynch transferred me to Princeton and I couldn't adjust to it. I swear they roll the sidewalks up at 8 pm out there.
    I always say, my dram home would be a Log cabin with 20 wooded acres in the middle of South Beach.

9. NCJetsfan

LOL 20 wooded acres in the middle of South Beach would be some kind of Palm Trees.

10. TonyFtLaud

Lol. That's like the perception that there are no trees or grass in NY. Lots of oaks, Banyon trees, pines and ornamentals grow here in Florida. The real problem is you can't find 20 SQ feet that's not developed let alone acres.

11. NCJetsfan

Sorry, I thought you meant literally on the beach. I've never been to Miami, but have been about everywhere else in FL.

12. TonyFtLaud

Miami is a great place to visit. Great clubs, world class dining, beautiful beaches but too crowded for me to live full time , unless of course I find those 20 wooded acres. Lol

Cman68 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I've got a couple of friends that used to live there and loved it, except for the crowds.

14. TonyFtLaud

That's why I moved to FT.Lauderdale.
    Still have the same beach but no where near as crowded and if I want to go down it's a short drive.

15. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Definitely will. This whole season of Football willl be interesting period. IMO, Everyone on the Jets roster is pretty much in a contract year. Quarterbacks will be battling and stats from Saturday will be compared to stats on Sunday. Sink or Swim!!!

A McClown plays a QB.
    Are they ready!?
    No time to waste,
    Little to no haste.

If the Hack is whack,
    What a Petty..
    A second attack,
    Or no confetti!

A two pack of bust?
    Some say too early.
    For Sam they lust!
    Or similar draftee!

Will leaders rise?
    Who will they anoint?
    Will players surprise?
    Who will disappoint?

Rockinz, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

You're a poet and we didn't know it.

Burnz and Pags2112 like this.
  17. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

ummm, we don't play or practice in NYC... we play in Secaucus and practice in Morris Twp, an area surrounded by fishing and hunting territory

18. NCJetsfan

Really? LOL Dude, I know. I lived in NYC for 16 years and went to many Jets games. I also know what northern NJ is like. For people from other parts of the country, that is not the ideal place for hunting or fishing, and not the first place they would think of going. Upstate NY, ok. Maybe southern NJ.

The whole point, which you obviously missed, is that playing for the Jets, a players is still in the glare of the big city lights and pressure of NYC. Even though the practice facility and games are in NJ, they are still called and considered the NY Jets, not the NJ Jets.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

4. So, in between engineering a comeback win after being down 14 points in the 4th quater of the Rose Bowl (USC's last game of the season) and your post, "Darnold's already slipping down the charts?"

What "charts" would these be and where is the logic here?

5. Big Time schools also compete against great talent and against a higher pecentage of players who end up playing on Sundays. . Darnold took over a 1-3 USC team, turned them around 180-degrees and ending their season with a 9 game winning streak. Not too shabby for a redshirt freshman.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Josh Allen has the best arm out of the big 3. He's got Stafford / Flacco level arm strength and that's who I compare him to. The thing about Allen, is he doesn't see the field that good right now. Needs to show improvement making the reads. I watched his games on draftbreakdown.

The only thing holding Darnold back is his wind-up. It reminds me of Cutler. He needs to fix that. He's got the quick release, but should he fix the windup, that ball will come out that much faster. That windup alone could make him a Cutler like QB in the NFL instead of being a very unique talent that cannot be compared to any previous QB possibly.

People will talk about Mason Rudolph too, but I wouldn't draft a spread QB in the first round.

almbleamal likes this.