Josh Allen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. He's come a LONG way from last season in my opinion. I understand the stats & the finished product tell a different story but everything in a QB evaluation needs to be taken in context;He has great footwork,commands the offense very well,Knows when to use the arm strength & is a handful in the open field.He doesn't have USC or even UCLA 5 Star WR's wide open by 3 yards..he's limited by his surrounding cast. And yet, there they were in a bowl game they likely would not be in if not for Allen;Raising the level of play around him one of the first signs of a FQB.

Yes airing it out w. him would have some growing pains early on..but I think he could be an "elite game manager" right off the bat. Minimize the multiple reads,run the ball & choose spots to let him make a play w. his arm or his legs.Then 2-3 years down the road when he comes of age & the surrounding cast has been altered to his strengths we can break out the explosive downfield O.

legler82 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He won't need 2-3 years..if top 3 impossible sign this beast!

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He was better last year.

4. His footwork is better,his command is better,the touch on his throws is better & his decision making is better.

The stats are down which is worth noting but bare in mind he lost his top 3 targets from last season..from a bad team w low level recruits mind you.

legler82 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

I think he's been getting better coaching, but I don't see him playing better on the field. He still doesn't see the field well. That game against Hawaii was probably the most polarizing game to watch. Note, I am not even talking from a statistical standpoint, just some really good and bad bad bad.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mark Schofield seems a bit biased to me. Everything Allen does positive is just "OK" and anything he does remotely negative is a huge problem. Mind you I saw lot more of the former than the latter. There was more NFL translatable throws in that one 9/19 performance than I probably saw in a full season of Mayfield tape.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. legler82

First Sound 2018 - Josh Allen's 6 Interceptions

8. 101GangGreen101

I mean is that an indictment on Mayfield more-so? The videos show a lack of anticipation on this decision making. It's a lot of the same "flash in the pan" Allen exhibited throughout the year, but couldn't put together a full good game.

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I’m starting to come around on Allen. But, I also think he has the lowest floor.

#89 Martin&theJETS, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If Denver doesn’t take him at 5 this is an absolute layup for Mac.

If Mac passes on Josh Allen he needs to be fired the next day and not given the chance to draft rounds 2-7.

Allen is going to be an amazing QB fellas. He’s a mix of Wentz/Cam/young Big Ben. He’s got the best arm I’ve seen since Dan Marino. Coming from a pro offence he can start day 1, take his lumps his rookie year while we build the offence around him similar to Troy Aikman in Dallas.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. legler82

The bold is true with one HUGE exception; he lacks their accuracy. That doesn't mean he can't be good. Heck, Eli won 2 SBs and he was never a really accurate QB. If we draft him, Jets fans better be prepared for that.

almbleamal likes this.
  12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

And the wheel continues to spin.

Royal Tee likes this.
  13. Rockinz

He needs to work on his accuracy from inside the pocket but on the move especially to his right he has a very accurate ball. Not Aaron Rodgers accurate but very similar to Wentz accuracy on the move.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Rockinz

We need a big strong arm QB who can zip the ball around with those Meadowlands winds. I’ve never been so sure this is our guy. I’m so nervous about Denver grabbing him at 5 though..

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. legler82

Really more so than Mahomes who was more accurate and a better fit in the WCO?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Rockinz

I liked Mahomes but I didn’t like the offensive system he was coming out of in college. That was my only knock on Mahomes because that style of spread air raid offence inflates stats and rarely works at the next level.

With Allen coming from a pro offence it showed me too many playes that were too outstanding to ignore because you can see that working at the next level. Throwing on the move to his right he is special. He needs to learn how to step up in the pocket more while he surveyes the field for his best option. Kinda like Tommy 2 step cheater face or Rivers. His arm strength is really impressive and that was with a shoulder injury most of the year... He’s a gem and if Mac passes on him I’ll be shocked

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

18. NYJetsO12

cant wait at 6

Some other team might get him before us

Mac>>>>>Move up and get it done

19. legler82

If you are an Allen fan, you clearly do not care about stats. So why then be concern about Mahomes' inflated stats? Most QB prospect grow up running the Spread all the way through college. In this day and age if scouts had to actually see guys run plays in a pro-style offense to see what will work in the NFL, they'd be out of work. A passing play from a Spread offense may not translate to the NFL while the throw made in that play still does. Gimmicky offense or not, Mahomes had a ton of those throws on tape way more so than Allen. Mahomes is more refined and accurate while Allen is bigger and more athletic. All things being equal I rather the former traits over the latter. If someone likes Allen then they should have LOVED Mahomes unless the trait they value most is size.

If we do end up with Allen, I just hope the franchise and the fanbase practice patience. Like Bortles, there will be lots of bumps on the road.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Rockinz

Like I said I liked Mahomes. His arm strength for a windy meadowlands where you need to be able to put a lot of velocity on the ball would be a good fit along with his accuracy on the deep ball. Air Raid spread offence is worried me because It’s hard to see how he can read the game coming from that offence. very few QBs have been successful at the next level coming from an air raid offence because they aren’t trained to read progressions to the level of a pro offence

With Allen he’s been running a pro offence that produced Carson Wentz and he has the arm, his size is ideal to see over the OL and athletic ability is impressive.