Josh Allen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good, balanced analysis of Allen IMO:

I don't think potential is enough of a certainty for Macc to risk his job taking Allen with this pick. I certainly could be wrong, and if so, hope that Allen overcomes all the shortcomings he has, and maximizes all the positives he has.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

^ Wentz is describing his offense -- he should be able to talk about it.

It's more impressive when the teams give the QBs pieces of their system and test the QBs on what they just learned. Allegedly, teams did this with Mayfield and he passed with flying colors.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You know it doesn't take a rocket scientist to carefully look at this video and see that Josh Allen was nearly running for his fuc$king life on just about every snap. Did anyone comprehend this or am I jaded? Wisconsin's OL was just horrible.

Anyone that remotely disputes this or even makes a case that Allen was horrible despite this, I won't even bother replaying because they can't see the forest from the trees.

4. BomberJet

I hear a ton of contradictions in his analysis of Josh. I won't even get into it but I can see that he's biased. Has he even noticed or made any comments about the play of the OL that caused Josh to run or hurry his passes? Then he states "well we don't even know what he can throw..."???? I'm laughing hysterical on that one.

5. BomberJet

Look at the play at 5:55 - they way he through just about flat footed just in front of the defender that was about to snag him. That was a freaking amazing throw!!! And this guy just brushes it off ' it was a nice play' ??

There are just those types that have this thing that if they were standing in front of run-away train they would wave to engineer to slow down....

6. BomberJet

not a good balanced analysis ,imo - look at that pass Josh made at 5:55 - and he says it was "nice play"???lol......You don't see many QB's throw a ball like that for a completion. For him to throw flatfooted like that and still make an accurate completion??? Take all those so called experts comments with a grain of salt and trust your own eyes.

I have no problem with the Jets taking Allen with the 3rd pick - he is hands down probably besides Darnold, the best QB in this draft with the most upside - and he can take a beating, lol.

SettlerDawg and Rockinz like this.
  7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Hes not a pro ready qb. He has great arm strength but poor arm talent. I actually think Rosen and Mayfield are by far, the 2 best prospects. Darnold and Allen are way too inaccurate and have the poorest mechanics of the 4.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. BomberJet

I would question that. If you were to have Rosen and Allen swap teams, I would love to see who excels. Behind that terrible OL that Allen was playing behind - I don't think Josh would do any better. Mayfield, maybe...but I have the idea that when Mac took the #3 spot his choices will be Allen, Rosen or Darnold. He won't draft Mayfield, by my thinking.

legler82 likes this.
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Allen has not impressed me on tape. Greg Cosell also agrees with me on this. He just has a big arm and doesnt see the field well at all.

You can blame the talent around him (not you literally) but he was still wildly inaccurate. Mayfield and Rosen are extremely accurate. Mayfield is much better on the run than Rosen. Rosen much better from the pocket.

Cosells comparison of Allen is Jay Cutler and after watching film, I tend to agree. The jets need a winner. Not somebody who can throw hard or far. I think thats mayfield and rosen. Darnold has some mechanical issues that im not sure he can overcome. Im not saying they are gonna be terrible, but i feel they are most likely to underacheive.

10. BomberJet

When someone (not you literally of course) keeps harping on the fact that Allen just throws 'hard and far', that's where I see the problem. If that were the case his completion rate would be even worse - put him behind a decent OL like what we say in the Senior Bowl, and he transforms to very good NFL QB - I don't agree with Cosell, as I have noted in watching the video analysis. Comparing him to Cutler is laughable. Cutler's mind is on something else when he is on the playing field, not on football.

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Cosell is rarely wrong. I watched Allens film akd if the jets take him 3rd overall, it will be a mistake.

12. BomberJet

All I can say , and will not keep repeating myself if you ignore this, swap teams between Josh Allen and Josh Rosen - I know the results with each player will be different, but of course this is highly debatable because we will never see this. I can only go by what I witnessed on film with Allen at the senior Bowl, and it's enough to convince me that Mac , if given the choice between Mayfield and Allen, no question it is Allen. With the issues that Mayfield has between his demeanor and his height, I don't see Mac taking him. His top 3 I believe are - 1. Rosen 2. Darnold 3. Allen.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dont need you to repeat anything. But i cant see mac passing on mayfield for allen.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Rosen had a poor offensive line too.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

People get fixated on a guy and ignore everything else about him and make up excuses. If Allen wasnt big and threw far, he wouldnt even be in this conversation. Big arm is nice, but if you cant aim it, what good is it?

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He had me at Brady like lol

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’d take Jay Cutler any day when talking physical traits. Jay Cutler is just a terrible leader that doesn’t get him teammates to play for him because of his douchy personality... if Cutler had Favre love for the game he would be a HOFer

GreenGreek likes this.
  18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Give him infinity great players and he will succeed.
    If only he had an offensive line.
    If only his receivers caught the ball.

Unfortunately, he isn’t going to have talent around him in NY. No matter how your roster is built up, your team will always have some deficiency the QB has to overcome. This resilience is what makes a QB great.

Allen is not the type of QB who will overcome, in my opinion.

Cosell puts it great when referring to Allen. Allen demonstrates the difference between a strong arm and arm talent. Arm talent is the ability to make all the throws on the field WITH timing, vision, fluidity, and placement. Allen is nowhere near being an arm talent right now.

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and zace like this.
  19. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

This video has good play-by-play analysis but it's a misrepresentation of Allen simply because it looks at maybe 10 plays from the 2017 season rather than the 300 plays that Allen was part of. It's a small sample size. Having now watched 5 full games of Josh Allen's 2017 season, I have seen way more good than bad, and I believe his skillset will translate to the NFL. He has the ability to throw crisp, accurate, and well-timed passes to the sideline. He doesn't wilt under pressure and he competes hard. Just those 2 things alone are something that you don't see in many rookie QB's.

BomberJet and FJF like this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The latter part of your post is literally the antithesis to every scouting report on Allen.

From “He has the ability...”

Edit: I have to add, I watched the tape too and see the exact opposite. Of course I’m a message board poster so what do I know?