Josh Allen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Watching his games his low CMP% is a combination of a lot of things, in no particular order: drops, throwaways, inaccurate passes (mostly throwing the ball too hard), scheme [there's not a lot of easy completions in his offense (i.e., quick, bubble, tunnel screens...etc.)]. It's not like he is throwing ground balls and air mailing every other pass like Hack's college tape.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

If Mahomes was a second round pick and Josh Allen may go #1 overall, there is obviously a reason. Mahomes clearly was not the prospect coming out of college that Allen is. Not to say Mahomes can't be great, but at the same time in their prospective careers, most of the scouts have Allen as clearly better. I've talked to people that watched a lot of college ball that would love to have Allen.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  3. legler82

Mahomes has the better arm "talent", is more accurate and more polished at the same point in their development. He had to overcome the Texas Tech Air Raid stigma and climb his way into the 1st round. Allen having the slightly stronger arm, being bigger, more athletic and coming from the same pro-style offense that produced Carson Wentz, of course, would automatically be considered a 1st round candidate out the gate. Conversely, he would have to work his way out of the 1st. In general, last year's class was underrated while this one is very much overrated in terms of talent. Depth wise though, this year's class deserves the hype.

#183 legler82, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Dude what. The Chiefs traded up to #10 overall to pick Mahomes in the first round. We’ll see if Allen is even picked that high.

Allen’s tape can’t hold Mahomes’ tape’s jock strap.

5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Mahomes and Allen are very similar prospects IMO. Of course Mahomes “tape” and numbers are going to look better than Allen because of the system he played in college, but that isn’t going to fool NFL scouts.

Mahomes and Allen both have the chance to be big time QB’s, but both weren’t ready to start day 1. Allen is actually further along than Mahomes at this time. Mahomes footwork was a mess in college.

6. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Clearly he was picked higher, but was never thought of as highly as Allen - ever.

7. Big Cat

I think I see the appeal now. The play at 3:36 should be a clear cut pick 6 but he throws it so damn hard the defender can’t catch it!

Genius. Can’t turn the ball over if the defense can’t catch your fastball.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. legler82

Sheesh, you really dislike the kid.

9. Big Cat

I’m just really confused why he’s being considered day 1. I went back and tried to watch him again with an open mind last night and I just can’t see it. His traits are obviously phenomenal, but I’m not a believer that you can teach a guy how to play football.

10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wasn't a Josh Allen before watching that, and I sure ain't now. I PRAY he doesn't wind up on the Jets. If Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield are gone, and Allen is there at 6, that is one instance in which I would hope the Jets trade back.

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He's far too inconsistent for me to like him. Although not an exactly direct comparison, drafting Allen would be just like drafting Hack. Great tools and clear ability, but the consistency isn't there and usually you can't teach QB's how to be more consistent.

Macc cannot bank his job on drafting Allen IMO

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

All this Hackenberg Allen talk is pure nonsense. Hack had terrible accuracy at the combine and nowhere close the the arm strength, size, athleticism of Allen. Hack was also so broken in college but Mac thought Chan could fix him...

Allen has his flaws he’s definitely not perfect but his upside and tools are flat out special.

14. Big Cat

How do you know Allen won’t have terrible accuracy at the combine? It hasn’t happened yet

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Lombardi was funny in this video. I can definitely see both sides of the coin with Allen. Amazing arm strength, and makes some incredible throws, but then misses the easy-peasy throws badly. He scares me. I wouldn't hate it if the Jets drafted him, but I'd definitely rather they draft Mayfield or Rosen or Darnold. I'd certainly rather have him than the Jets trade down then take Falk, White, Lauletta or some other QB in the 2nd-4th rounds.

16. I did not like Allen heading into this year but I was extremely impressed with the improvements he made in terms of drops, decision making & command of the offense.

He is not a finished product by any means but there is alot to like. Unlike Hack the arrow is pointing up w. Allen. People are forgetting that he plays for Wyoming & while that means a largely lesser level of competition it also means a lesser level of surrounding talent as well as coaching.

As others have pointed out the pro style scheme is a double edged sword within his evaluation. While evaluators & onlookers would prefer seeing him drop back from center & make the difficult throws, I'm not sure that's his best skill set in the NFL. I think he's more of a cold weather make plays down field as well as outside the pocket accompanied by some high percentage short throws & a good running game.It's clear he's never gonna have those things at Wyoming.

17. Big Cat

Oh no.

I’ve been watching Allen pretty much all day.

I have a lot of backtracking to do on this forum. He’s actually.... kinda good

18. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

19. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

20. Big Cat

Physically, Allen is a Wentz clone.

But is he like this? That’s something that no one on this forum has access to.