Jonathan Hankins Visiting the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Apr 5, 2018.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Not getting Suh could be a BLESSING if we get this beast BIG HANK!

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

McLendon can play defensive end too in the 3 man front. That's how Pennel got in the game at NT. Adding Hankins will create more versatility and ability to get to the rusher from the interior. More than likely a replacement for Mo. With those 4, you got a pretty solid rotation. Still need pass-rushers on the outside.

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

There you go. I thought I remembered that but wasn't positive. This would be a big help. But that edge rusher does not appear to be there yet. Maybe Leo and Jenkins improve, and somebody else can take a step up like a Mauldin, tho I'm not counting on him particularly. Donohue might've helped but who knows with him? I guess they could take a stab at one in the draft too.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

more the merrier at this point

6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

5 years younger than Suh. Suh got 14 million for one year I'm assuming if we get two years of Hankins it'll be between 14 and 20 so cheaper and longer too. The Jets need dline help and he can help. Will make us better there. A no brainer.

With the recent signings and moves if you look at the draft it should play out like this unless an olineman falls.

Round 1: Rosen, Mayfield, or Allen
    Round 3: DE/OLB unless a top tight end or olineman is there (Ragnaw, Price, Gosecki are examples)
    Round 4: DE/OLB or tight end
    Round 5: Best available ol, de/olb, te, rb
    Round 6: Best available ol, de/olb, te, rb
    Round 7: Best available ol, de/olb, te, rb
    Undrafted free agents will be loaded up with offensive and defensive lineman.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

How about getting a real DE? The Jets with all these run stuffers and no one to pressure the damn QB. Hopefully they don't break the bank on this guy.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Giants had him while he was cheap but couldn't afford to pay him on the second contract with JPP and Snacks in the mix.

Colts bought for 1 year at $10.5M and decided that was too much for a 3-4 DE who doesn't pressure the QB much.

If the Jets could put Hankins at LE and open up moving Leo to RE this would probably be a decent signing, but not at $10M a year. Hankins might be worth $5-7M as the premium on him being on the open market. If his agent is looking for 5 figures that would explain why he's still on the market.

BTW, there is nothing at all to suggest that Hankins is an off-the-field problem. Both cuts have been simple economics at this point and as long as the Jets don't create a similar problem by signing him he'd be a good add. Solid player but not a star.

9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Would be a great signing, especially this late into FA.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree that Hankins isn't worth $10 million. The Jets had problems stopping the run last year. Hankins can pressure the QB. He had 7 sacks his 2nd year in the league, so he has the ability. If the Jets draft him, he's probably an instant starter opposite Leon. That, and the fact that it won't force the Jets to have to take a DE in the 3rd round is worth every penny of $10 million. In addition, he's only 26. He could help them for 4 years or more and the Jets wouldn't have to worry about that spot and could focus on fixing other holes, and using draft picks on offensive players.

Overall, I think you focus too much on $s. The are way more important issues than that with this team.

NYJetsO12 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  11. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Can't argue with adding a player like Hankins to the DL with how thin it is at the moment. I hope it happens.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He was signed to a 3year contract at around 30 mil to play in the Colts 3-4 D. They knew what he was, didn't find out later that he wasn't going to hang up big sack numbers.

He was released not for sack totals, he was released because the Colts are switching to a 4-3 D and he doesn't fit with his lack of speed. He's perfect as a plug the middle 3-4 NT.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Well said. How quickly we forget how much better we were with Snack holding the fort and plugging the middle against the run and the pass.

#33 LAJet, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Theres no such thing as focusing too much on teh money in this league. You ALWAYS consider the money and value

tbruner12 and Br4d like this.
  15. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

De in a 3/4 don’t need to get a lot of sacks. As long as they get some pressure but most importantly take up blockers so the olb get to qb. That’s our problem for years no real olb beast to get sacks haven’t had one since Abraham. Will get one........one day I hope. But would love this signing of Hankins to help with the run

LF911SC and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

My point is the Jets need an edge rusher in the worst way regardless if that's a pass rushing DE or OLB.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and Mr mittens like this.
  17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

. This is a must signing at this point. Why did the jets let this guy even leave to visit the skins? Over pay for him I don’t care we must have this guy. He’s the only good lineman left and right now outside of TE it’s our biggest hole. Gonna be pissed if we don’t

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Shouldn't have let him leave the building without a contract.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

More (Run) Stuffing for that Turkey Blowes

Frankly I am more confident of the members of TGG figuring out how to use players than the HC and Kacy

Sign the Beast and cross your fingers his third teams a charm..cripes

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ya gotta be kidding..? Mac doing his 2 steps forward and three steps backwards deal..

Well I am getting excited over a FQB..he better not miss on that