Johnny "Lam" Jones - R.I.P.

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by joe, Mar 15, 2019.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/15/johnny-lam-jones-dead-at-60-after-cancer-battle/

Johnny “Lam” Jones dead at 60 after cancer battle

Posted by Josh Alper on March 15, 2019, 11:23 AM EDT
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images

Former Jets wideout and 1976 Olympic gold medalist Johnny “Lam” Jones has died.

The Austin American-Statesman reported Jones’ death on Friday. Jones, who was 60, had been battling myeloma cancer for many years.

Jones was the No. 2 overall pick of the 1980 draft after a celebrated career as a football player and track star at the University of Texas. He entered the school with a gold medal that he won as a member of the 4X100 meter relay team at the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal.

Jones was the leading receiver for a run-oriented Longhorns offense in each of his final three years at the school and the Jets drafted him after Billy Sims went first overall to the Lions and before Anthony Munoz was selected by the Bengals. His career didn’t pan out as well as Munoz’s as he caught 138 passes for 2,322 yards and 13 touchdowns over five seasons before injuries derailed his career.

Our condolences go out to his family and loved ones.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

He's been battling cancer since the mid-2000s, but that's weird I thought he already died(?). He didn't have an easy time of it (drugs/alcohol), but cleaned himself up. RIP.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Rip.
    Hate to say it in his R.I.P. thread but imagine what would have happened if we had taken Munoz instead. Kenny O and the offense might have been good enough to win it all.

4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Goddamit. R.I.P.

Cancer sucks.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Can someone who isn't hopped up on weed or drunk as a skunk merge the Lam Jones threads! My nylon knee highs are falling down and bunching up around my ankles! I'm just trying to put the recycles outside!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad: