John Morton wants Josh McCown back in 2018, but is that best for Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well. After Bowles endorsed McCown for the remainder of the year, Morton went one step further and vouched for McCown for next year as well. At what price though? Another 12 million dollar blunder from Mac? I hope we learned our lesson this time and won't bid against us again.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/12/john_morton_wants_josh_mccown_back_in_2018_but_sho.html

By Connor Hughes

chughes@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The words flew from John Morton's mouth faster than some of his offensive play calls. Thirteen weeks were all he needed to formulate this conclusion.

Did the Jets' first-year offensive coordinator want Josh McCown, his 38-year-old quarterback, back in 2018?

"Sure," Morton said Thursday. "Why wouldn't I? Look at the stats."

Morton's right. McCown's numbers are impressive. But it's not that simple.

McCown, as Morton alluded to, is enjoying a career-year his 15th in the NFL. He's thrown for 2,880 yards (career high) with 18 touchdowns (career high) and just eight interceptions in 12 games. He has a completion percentage of 67.8 (career high), quarterback rating of 96.7, has run for another five scores, and has the not-tanking Jets a surprising 5-7.

And if the Jets knew this Josh McCown would return next year, he'd already have a new deal. Aside from his on-field performance, his leadership and guidance are invaluable to a team comprised of youngsters. Even if the Jets draft a quarterback in April, McCown would be the perfect mentor.

But here's the thing: Father Time eventually catches up to every player. Sometimes without warning.

And quarterbacks aren't an exception.

Brett Favre had a career-year with the Vikings in 2009, only to have his body break down one year later, leading to his retirement. Other guys, like Donovan McNabb, Kurt Warner and Chad Pennington, had similar stories. One year, they're on top of the world. And the next on the bottom.

McCown may be lighting it up now. But at his age (he turns 39 in July) it won't last forever.

The Jets got a first-hand look at such a change not long ago. In 2015, Ryan Fitzpatrick led New York to a 10-6 record, and threw a franchise-record 31 touchdowns. The Jets re-signed him to a one-year, $12 million deal in the offseason ... only to watch his play plummet. Fitzpatrick's currently a backup for the Buccaneers.

While, unlike with Fitzpatrick, the Jets have the cap space (upwards of $108 million) to re-sign McCown without it impacting their other draft plans, is it worth the risk? The same drastic decline could sack him, too. The Jets would then be stuck paying a player who can't, well, play.

While he admitted it's not his call, Morton seems willing to roll the dice.

"He's been consistent. He's perfect for this offense, and we're going to do things that we think he's going to have a lot of success with - just like all of our players.

"That's what you're supposed to do as a coach. You're supposed to put the players in the right position, but I don't see a decline at all. Do you?"

Not yet.

But that doesn't mean one isn't coming.

2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

No, it's not.

stinkyB, NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Depends on their outlook on what his role will be and how much they're willing to pay. If its similar to the Fitz situation it will more than likely result in disaster and will likely be the end of the Macc and Bowles era. But if they want to give him 8-9 mil to bring him back, as a backup, then by all means go ahead, but this has to be done with either going after another QB through free agency (Cousins) or drafting a QB.

He's done well for us this season, but he does commit a ton of big mistakes in big spots. He is the reason we've been competitive this year but that does not mean we should rely on him to continue playing like this past this season.

Fools gold at this point, IMO

4. It’d be so nice if for once we’d have coaches that actually get it. It’s very sad that we can’t seem to find a CS that will embrace a young QB.Is Disgusting actually

Frenbar, Brook! and boozer32 like this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Why would they sign Cousins and or Smith and have McCown eating up valuable salary cap.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Or even an offensive mentality instead of the tired old defense wins championships.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I’m just saying a possible avenue. I wouldn’t sign both cousins and McCown, I would sign McCown if we went with a rookie because then at least you have a decent fall back to spot start. Signing cousins and McCown would be cap suicide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boozer32 likes this.
  9. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

FIRE MORTON NOW:

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

94Abraham and FJF like this.
  10. It was too good to be true to think that Morton would come here & actually embrace change. Just another chapter of garbage mediocrity. I'm sure he'll get his wish & he'll be coaching WRs at lehigh in 2019.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Walt White

Exactly. See he's petrified for his job. Bowles threatened him. It's as plain as day

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Give McCown a 3 year contract with a 4th year option at 10-20mil per guaranteed..Then make him QB coach after elevating Gates to OC and Morton to HC. Bowles can become GM and Macc can become Pres. of Football Ops.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m really struggling to fein outrage over this

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Some folks just have a hard time dealing with a reality they don't agree with..

Jets69 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. FJF

Yea, it’s unbelievable that a coach would want to keep coaching a player that is playing well.

tbruner12, NYJFOREVER and Walt White like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Is there anyone here that actually is in agreement to have McCown come back as a starter next year? Please help me with this.
    Mac was brought in as a bridge, and he has by far exceeded everyone's expectations. Yet he is still a bridge.
    But a bridge to what exactly? Nowhere at all? Apparently there is nothing to bridge with Petty nor Hack. So are we now extending the bridge to the new QB we draft on the first round? May be?
    Haven't we seen this sequel before.
    It smells to me like the CS might have him already anointed for another year as the di facto starter.
    I'll be the first to tell you, there is so much to like and respect about Mac and the great contributions to date, but he is not our future, and for us the future is now, actually,it was yesterday, or the year before.
    Thus the idea of a 2018 without our FQB behind center should not be acceptable to any of us. Mac is a great teacher, no doubt, and I want him to be part of the Jets future, but not as the starter for another year.
    Why, because without a FQB, there is no future, just one more year of the same old past.

17. Just like w Fitz,right?

18. FJF

i guess, if were just looking at qbs and not the whole teams going from 2015 to 2016 and comparing it to 2017 going to 2018. i guess we can also pretend that bowles didn't bench fitz only to have geno tear a knee and then petty have his shoulder crushed. we have to do that to get this upset about an o.c.'s quote on his starting qb.

Walt White likes this.
  19. Walt White

That knows he would help immeasurably with a brand spanking new QB via the 2018 NFL Draft.

FJF likes this.
  20. Walt White

But, of course. Well put.

21. I’m just curious.You are so convinced that they’ll address qb in round 1..are you prepared to eat crow when they don’t? Beyond crow will you finally recognize how misguided & infatuated this regime is w veteran QBs extending even further to the OC?will you recognize how much of a waste hoping & praying for a FQB w all our energy from last December to present was? Will you then understand why many like myself feel the way we do?

I will gladly eat crow if they actually do what you’re proposing.But deep down I think you know how this ends.

boozer32 likes this.