Jimmy Garoppolo to SF

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by grkmanga31, Oct 30, 2017.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This is on the money.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Nope, Andrew Luck had a set back and rumors are going around that he may miss the entire season. That in and of itself is not great because the Colts may be faced with going QB high, or retaining Luck. If they're looking to offload him then it probably means team doctors don't think he'll be healthy for the long haul. I think there can be a ton of movement at the top of the draft because now that Garapolo is with the 49ers, people will be gunning for that 2nd spot.

As for the Giants they just suspended Janoris Jenkins because he reported to the team late after the bye week. Not sure how they will fair the rest of the season but they are a huge dumpster fire right now and if things don't shape up I think they will end up cleaning house.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

IF Macc drafts the right QB, it shouldn't take 2 years for him to play. Especially with Morton and Bates giving guidance when necessary which is something Gailey couldn't be bothered with. Again, will it come to Macc "strongly suggesting" aka: ordering Bowles to play the kid? If Bowles doesn't get his extension in the offseason, and I think he will, it really won't matter to Bowles one way or the other if the kid plays, doesn't play, gets developed or rots.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  4. Unless of course you don’t believe he’s a top 10 QB which I dont.Hes a slightly above average QB about to turn 30 w an expensive price tag.it shocks me the way so many are throwing out 5,6,7 years w him at the helm..we don’t even know if he’d be successful..a free agent QB in NY for this team is just as much of a crapshoot as a draft pick is

If folks really believe he’s a franchise type I’m not gonna argue..his resume speaks for itself that he’s good not great.So many times you can come on here after a typical Jets loss & hear folks come to the conclusion that we need a true difference maker at QB who can take over the game & raise the play of those around him; Kirk Cousins??Really??

We’re gonna settle for Kirk Cousins bc we’re afraid to give up the draft picks? Every other team as of late that has at least a decent ATTEMPT at a FQB has had to take a risk & give up some picks..that’s the new norm of the NFL.We’re now saying after nearly 50 years of garbage QB play,at the end of our wits in misery that our team is somehow special & cant fork over picks necessary bc it’ll screw up our 3rd attempt at a rebuild in 5 years time???? Are we really that scared of failure when we’re already swimming in shit??

What about the notion that signing Cousins,passing on a draft day trade & seemingly drafting defense AGAINw those precious picks could set back our rebuild just as well?

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They offered him a deal after the 2016 combine that would have paid about $16m a year with $29M guaranteed when the tag got him $20M, understandable why he turned that down.
    This season they offered him $53M guaranteed which basically guaranteed him $29M for next season since he already signed the $24M franchise tag, I understand why he turned that down also.

Basically the Skins have been offering him contracts that guarantee only one more year above his current year, basically just trying to cheap out. Cousins bet on himself and if he doesn't get hurt this year it should pay off big. Went from an offer of $16M a year 2 seasons back to what should be something in the range of $125M over 5 years with $60-$70M guaranteed.

TonyFtLaud and K'OB like this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Cheers, fuck knows why I thought I read it the other way round, I had felt a bit sorry for him that they were using him and not paying up because they didn't trust him enough to pay him the top contract.

Ah well another step down the road to alzheimer's central :(

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good point unfortunately

All those Coaches and GMs are sweating out just like Toddy and still want to win

The Giants have Eli and Brisset ? I wonder if they made any trade moves to shore up D etc

8. NYJetsO12

Plus 100

Actually making a play for Cousins would be more costly than a draft move up

The coming months will require a lot of hard thought and planning by our GM depending whether we start winning or losing ...yikes hope he is up to it

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Sadly even Alzheimer's can't dull the memories the Jets have bestowed upon us..... ;)

K'OB likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

Your definition of a rebuild obviously different from most. This franchise has not tried a rebuild in decades, where you get 3 rebuilds in 5 years is beyond me.
    Signing a few has been FAs is not a rebuild. This is the first year of a process that take 3-4 years.
    Your still buying into the pre draft hype from last year that 2018 is going to be the year of the QB. We hear that every year though.
    Darnold was supposed to be the guy...
    Now he's second or third . Remember, Geno was hailed as the next great QB the year before his draft.
    3 first round picks for a guy with a 50/50 chance of becoming as good as Cousins is too steep a price for a team that is lacking talent across the board.
    This is not a team that can afford to give away it's future.

11. I wish it were different,believe me. But we have to take that 50/50 chance when the timing is right. Now trading for a medically cleared Andrew Luck..I’m 100% on board w that instead bc he’s a transcendent talent who could have his best ball ahead of him;a much safer bet than the draft route.He needs proper protection & the right kind of receivers.

I don’t put Cousins in that same category.Now others have suggested that Cousins wouldn’t prevent us from pouncing on a 1st round QB under the right circumstances..if that is properly communicated by the FO & is legitimately the long term plan I’m all for it.But I don’t think that’d be the case.I think we’d be all in on a top 14 QB who doesn’t dominate who might not even be a fit in NY(Albeit same risk w Luck)

Also like the upcoming QB class..no group is can’t miss but there will be some household names in that bunch..Josh Rosen sounds mighty fine to me

12. NYJetsO12

I think the Jets fate will just play out i.e. More losses...and you don't have to read the Tea Leaves: Buff TB Carolina KC Denver New Orleans LA Chargers....Pats. Is there anyone out there who seriously thinks we can win ANY game going forward ????. FUHGETTABOUTIT...lol

Yes I want the Tank but objectively against these teams the best thing I can say is like with Atlanta we might have some "competitive losses" e.g. 5 points or less..what I don't want is any meaningless win against some playoff caliber team that's resting their starters in Dec

At some point, Toilet Bowles will give up on his anality and play Hack or Petty MAYBE

Wind up...we get to 3-13 and position ourselves for Josh Rosen AND DONT BLOW IT

#172 NYJetsO12, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This has all been covered in the thread about garapolo being traded to the 9ers.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Agreed. Locking this down.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

So Kyle Shanahan now says that Garoppolo might not even play for the rest of the season. Anyone else think that that is completely bizarre? They're going to not play a guy who has started exactly two NFL games and is going to be a free agent at the end of the season, and then either sign him to a big contract or franchise him? I understand the benefit of continuing to tank for a higher draft pick, but I think that that is more than outweighed by finding out if he's actually any good.

HomeoftheJets and TonyFtLaud like this.
  16. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If Bowles is sticking around then I'd rather we went for a FA QB as he's shown me nothing in the way of being capable of improving and bringing forward a young QB

17. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

They'll see him in practice. Perhaps they're trying to keep his earning potential down. If he were to look great these next few weeks, some team may throw big bucks at him.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Seeing him in practice isn't remotely enough. If practice was all that mattered, no backup who got into a game would ever be better than the starter he replaced, but it happens all the time. You cannot possibly evaluate a player without seeing him in game conditions, particularly when they have all of two months to do it.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

I posted this yesterday but had a chance to see the interview this afternoon. Shanahan was replying to a question, asked if Garappalo would start Sunday, he just blew off the question with "I can't promise you guys that he won't play this week, I can't promise you guys that he'll play this year."
    Of course the media has taken a portion of a quote to create a false story
    Shanahan also said
    He needs " alot of meeting time," "Right now, the most important thing is getting C.J. ready for Sunday, which gets most of the reps and everything. Jimmy's process, it's a work in progress right now.
    He's got a long way to go in terms of learning the language, learning the verbiage of the offense and the majority of that is done in the classroom. Myself, (quarterbacks coach) Rich (Scangarello) and Jimmy are going to have to put a lot of extra time into that just to give him a chance to play, if need be."