Jimmy Garoppolo to SF

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by grkmanga31, Oct 30, 2017.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Maybe if they gave him a decent one?

2. felker

felker Active Member

I don't get why the 49'ers did this. Garoppolo is still an unsigned FA. If I was in his shoes no way would I sign a new contract at this point in time.

I think the 49'ers got snookered. Give up a draft choice for a chance to sign a guy who is essentially a FA anyway? Wut?

I mean he could just go back to NE if he wanted to.

3. You guys can’t have it both ways.You all thought he was destined to be Brady’s heir apparent w.o a single hiccup or drop in team production.You viewed Bellicheat asking the browns for their entire draft for him as justified.You ignored observations that he’s only played a handful of snaps & couldnt even stay healthy for that & continued touting him as the “greatest of all taints” second coming.Now the team fails to sign him & suddenly a 2nd round pick for him is pulling one over?Either you guys were astronomically off base in your evaluation of his abilities or you just gave up a franchise QB for a 2nd round pick when your only other option on the roster is 40 years old.

If he’s anything like Matt Cassel or Ryan Mallet he should sign that contract as soon as possible before he’s proven to be JAG..not saying he is..but the lack of playing time & Patty cake hype is what has him in this optimal position. We’ve seen This before. Niners can franchise him by the way or trade his rights to recooperate thier loss.Billy sure “snookered” them

Once he takes a few snaps & isn’t a Pro patriot media darling he’ll be judged solely on his play.While I’m sure he’s confident in his abilities he’ll go from being Cell phone boys heir apparent to carrying a very poor team through a rebuild.If I’m him I’m cashing in while value is still high

As for him going back to New England..given the fact that he “couldn’t leave fast enough” from cheatsboro,I think he’ll be playing Sunday’s elsewhere from hereonin.

#183 KurtTheJetsFan, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2017
    stinkyB and Martin&theJETS like this.
  4. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Really it has to stink for him to go to a winning team to a losing one. East Coast to West Coast there. Just hope he can be a franchise QB one day. Have the potential.

5. Yehoodi

Yehoodi Active Member

I like the trade. Given Brady's play I did not see Jimmy G. as the next QB. To be honest I had hoped it would be Jacoby B. who has two more years on his rookie deal and we could put off the transfer to that point, but alas, Jacoby got traded. The hope i have now is that Brady plays 3-4 more years (or more) in NE and we get the heir this year in the draft or next year.

I will be interesting to see how Jimmy G. does outside of NE. I do agree with you in that he has a short resume. He lost to Buffalo, but that was at the end of the season with our 2nd stringers, he had one good drive against KC, did solid with AZ but could of easily lost if AZ kicker makes the FG at the end, and had a solid first half against the Fins but then go injured,

Given that it was the last point we could get something for him as it was at the trade deadline, i am not upset with a high 2nd round pick.

Time will tell how things turn out and i do agree with you that lets see what Jimmy G. does when he plays a full season and outside of NE.

6. Yeah..I agree that getting a 2nd round pick was the right play once it became clear that he wasn’t a long term option.It never seemed like he was all that happy in New England or thrilled w eventually replacing Brady. While I think BB’s system will soften the blow & allow for the eventual replacement some basis for success..that’s gonna prove to be a mighty tall order.

Beyond running the offense & making the right reads it’s Brady’s durability & ice cold clutch ness that give him such success..hard to vision replacing those rarities without strain.And that’s before the fan base’s heightened expectations.If the winning slips even Alittle patriot fans willl be up in arms & you can bet the new QB will be the scapegoat..Tough spot to be in..could Jimmy G have handled it?We’ll never know

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Actually, the 49ers could use the franchise tag and keep him right where he is for at least 1 more season. That wasn't an option in NE. I think JG might like playing for a QB friendly coach like Shanahan.

8. Yehoodi

Yehoodi Active Member

(sorry for late response)

Yes, the next replacement is going to have a tough time given what Pats fans have been accustomed to with Brady. It may get tougher if BB is not around too.

I think we have some more years with Brady and am trying to enjoy every last minute of it as things will certainly drop off. Am hoping that the pats will be at the level they had with Bledsoe in the 90s when Brady leaves. Be a 6-10 win team, some playoff appearances, etc.

We may loose a few fans along the way.

As for Jimmy G., yah i can understand that he would want to carve his own resume and history, when one follow a great team player his resume is always a viewed in light of the previous player, something he does not have to worry about in SF or another location. Be interesting to see how Jimmy G. does with a QB friendly HC in Shanahan and how Shanahan does too as a HC.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. felker

felker Active Member

Well Jimmy G. is 2-0 now with a formerly 1-10 team. At least NE traded him out of the conference.