Jimmy G

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Patriot, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Ok I think after several games for the 49ers, my argument that Jimmy Garoppolo is not another over rated Patriots QB has been proven. Jimmy G has helped the 49ers go from 1-10 to 4-10. The Patriots might have made a real blunder in trading him for so less. I know this is a short sample, but given this sample and his Patriots sample, I think my analysis is looking good. But for those of you who still argue that this is to short of a sample, just remember how bad the 49ers are.

Funny thing is Jimmy G will be a free agent and how good would the Jets be with this guy? It is only fitting that NY should have an Italian QB.

So before you folks say I don't know what I am talking about, remember I predicted the Texans to be the biggest surprise team. My prediction would have been realized if Deshaun Watson didn't get hurt.

I am not always right, but I think I am about Jimmy G. I can see this guy actually being better than Brady in the next several years. How great would it be to Jimmy G going against his own team in the same division?

Jets should go after Jimmy G before its to late!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Jimmy G is under contract and will not hit the FA market.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I believe in Jimmy G. I don't know if he's gonna be HOF but he's certainly looking like a QB who can carry a team.

Of all the potential FA QB's next year he'd be the one I would go all in on but even if SF don't lock him up, they'll surely exclusive franchise him and either convince themselves he's worth the big money, satisfy him that they can win the big one or whatever else the hold-up would be about.

Also, if he was a FA then I imagine we'd be only a few steps above the Browns as a place he would not want to end-up in. Bronco's would probably be the #1 choice of the discerning QB.

4. Patriot

Tony he will be a free agent but the 49ers can place the franchise tag on him making him restricted. This being the case then I believe here are 4 scenarios.
    1. First-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a first-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.
    2. Second-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a second-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.
    3. Original-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a selection equal to the round the player was originally selected in if it opts not to match the deal.
    4. Right of first refusal: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal. The team will not receive any compensation if it opts not to match another deal.

5. Patriot

No offense, I think being a Jet fan suffering with losing seasons may be clouding your thoughts.

Yes the Jets have been a losing team. But after all this is New York which opens up other dollars for Jimmy. Besides why would a single guy like Jimmy not want to be in New York? If he could lead the Jets to a Super Bowl, he would be just as big or even bigger than Namath. He would be playing against the team who started Brady over him. This could help revive the Jets/Pats rivalry and bringing dollars to the NFL.

New York needs Jimmy. Jimmy needs new York! No matter what happens, my pizan Jimmy is going to be rich next year!

6. TonyFtLaud

Let me clarify it for you. Jimmy C will not hit free agency.

You are confusing UFAs with RFAs
    For unrestricted free agents, there are 3 franchise tag options.
    First option:
    The Exclusive franchise tag- meaning a team will pay that player no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player is NOT allowed to negotiate with other teams.
    The second option:
    The non-exclusive franchise tag involves the same salary offer as an exclusive franchise tag, only the player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team can match any offer sheet. If the old team declines to match the offer, it gets two first-round picks from the other team as compensation. This is the more commonly used franchise tag.
    The 3 rd option:
    The transition tag - the
    team offers the player a salary that is the average of the top 10 salaries at his position. That player can negotiate with other teams. The player's original team has the right of first refusal to match any offer given to a transition-tagged player by another team. If the original team decides to retain the player, it must agree to the contract terms offered by the other team. If the original team decides not to match the offer and the player leaves, it receives nothing in compensation. A team can use the transition tag only if it hasn't used the franchise tag in a given offseason.
    The tenders your referring to are for RFAs.(restricted free agents) and do not apply to Garappalo.

7. Patriot

Sorry with all the excitement of the Pats Steelers game, I got my facts screwed up between restricted free agent and franchise tagged player.

You are correct that when the 49ers place the franchise tag on Jimmy G, he is not a free agent. So unless the 49ers lose their mind, it doesn't look good for the Jets to get Jimmy G.

It is to bad, he would have been a good fit.

8. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I can see them going the non-exclusive route. If some desperate team like the Jets, Giants or Browns want to give up 2 1sts, they can take the picks & reunite Shanahan & Cousins.

9. TonyFtLaud

Except this thread was about Jimmy Garappalo

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He was talking about Kirk Jimmy George Cousins

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The Patriots will regret trading him. I get that Brady wants to play until 45, but everyone says that, there's no reason to think that he won't start to break down in the next year or 2. They all do. 41 is like the death year for QBs. Easy to say that you'll play another 5 years NOW, but I doubt he's feeling the same way at the end of next season.

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Well since apparently it is only a 1 game penalty for pulling a WWE move on another player, a bench player from the Jets should come off the top rope onto Brady's knee week 17, that should speed up the process.

Sam Hammer and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. felker

felker Active Member

Not sure what else they could do. Jimmy G made it clear that he did not want to follow Brady's act.

Trading him out of conference was probably the best they could do.

14. Patriot

Jimmy G was instrumental in beating Jacksonville giving the Pats a clinching bye. Lets suppose when Brady retires or leaves the game several years from now and Jimmy G is a free agent? Ok that would be a sick thought.

I think after today's game against the Jags, a good defense, that Jimmy G is for real. I believe I was right along time ago that he is better than Cousins and is the real deal.

15. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Thank god he got traded!

Staring up at TB and knowing he's got a few years left if time don't get him first is a lot better then having to deal with JG and BB for another decade.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Idzik made a big mistake not taking him for Jets years ago

TonyFtLaud and Brook! like this.