Jets working out DLinemen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 23, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Here's the article by Kevin Patra from NFL.com:

Ahead of the Thursday's draft, most NFL teams will attempt to fill some of the remaining holes on their rosters with stopgap players, negating some of the necessity of over-drafting certain positions.

In that vein, the New York Jets are working out a host of free agent defensive linemen.

Gang Green is working out former Bears pass rusher Lamarr Houston and ex-Patriots defensive tackle Chris Jones, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport adds the Jets are hosting ex-Rams defensive lineman Tyrunn Walker, former Giants defensive tackle Jay Bromley and former Browns defensive lineman Lavar Edwards. New York also recently brought in former Chiefs defensive tackle Jaye Howard, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo further supplied.

Clearly the Jets are attempting to find some veteran help in the front seven after jettisoning both Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson in the last eight months.

We'll let you know if one of our NFL Network reporters hear of any of these players getting signed in New York. The first reporter to get the scoop receivers a gold star. Stay tuned.

Other free-agent news we're tracking on Monday:

1. The Arizona Cardinals signed defensive end Benson Mayowa to a one-year deal, the team announced Monday. Rapoport reports the contract is worth $1.6 million. The five-year veteran spent the past two seasons with the Dallas Cowboys and appeared in 27 games (eight starts). Mayowa totaled seven sacks, 38 tackles, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in those two seasons combined.

So much for Benson Mayowa.

Walt White and AJT73 like this.
  2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I was hoping for Mayowa and Hankins. At this point we need people up front. Anyone that has experience or promise will be helpful.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

TDK this guy and the others better sign with someone before this weekend or they will be praying for injuries in training camp.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

These kinds of posts make me wonder which teams fans watched. At RB who were playing? McGuire and Powell were banged up. No one got a ton of carries, not Forte, no one. The kid WRs were playing down the stretch too. None well enough to be worth a damn. Then again how would anyone know with the pathetic Petty at QB. Who you wanted in all season?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

stop trying to make so much sense and add reason to the thread.......It's better to think from a fan's perspective and remove all reasonable logic from the equation.

7. LF911SC

It's hard when you start with we should have lost every game we played and work backwards from that point. And anything that lead to a win was BAD. People think this is the NBA

8. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

The DL is looking extremely thin. They'd be wise to ink 1 or 2 of these guys and they probably will, depending on how this weekend shapes out.

CBG likes this.
  9. LF911SC

True but they could also be waiting for someone to shake loose after the draft or from camp cuts.

10. MurrellMartin

That too. Hankins also remains a possibility if he budges on his price.

LF911SC likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Both lines are thin IMO , I am beyond surprised they did not ink at least ONE of these lineman that were in this week for visits.

12. MurrellMartin

I think the OL will be OK. With Long and Swanson, the C position has improved and the remainder of the line is exactly the same as it was last season - Beachum/Ijalana/Qvale at T and Winters/Carpenter/Dozier at G. I feel like I'm forgetting someone, but if not, Long is versatile and can/has played at G before in Washington.

Next offseason we are going to have to replace, or re-sign, Carpenter and Beachum. Their play in 2018 will dictate that.

13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. They made all those moves on the oline to have depth and experience. They might draft one in the third round if he is the best available but not a necessitty. I agree next offseason between free agency and the draft they will focus to build the line.

As for the dline by bringing in all the veterans this week I thought they were going to do the same thing. Sign a number of them and then not worry about the need to draft dlinemen. It is clearly a need. Be interesting to see if we sign any of them in the next day or two so we can really go BPA in all rounds.

MurrellMartin likes this.