Jets working out DLinemen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 23, 2018.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

NFL.com and Pro Football Talk are both reporting that the Jets are working out veteran dlinemen this week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/23/jets-working-out-two-free-agent-defensive-linemen/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rking-out-veterans-lamarr-houston-chris-jones

Not surprised knowing this is one area of the team that needs depth and with only 6 picks, and if we trade up to two, less picks then it's a good idea to bring guys in and sign them so we know what we have going into Thursday. None of them excite me but they are veterans with experience. Hankins is the guy I'm hoping we sign. Something tells me we'll sign one or two in the coming days.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

First of all...We are not trading up to #2, especially with the Giants

Royal Tee, Jets69, JetBlue and 2 others like this.
  3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you but I'd never say never. The Giants say give us your third it'll guarentee you Darnold the Jets might do it. i think it would only be for him and both teams might be willing to do something then. I don't think it'll happen but you never know.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Poe had these rocket scientists that run the Jets just started Petty or thrown Hack in last year we would NOT have had to trade any picks and would have most likely sat at # 3 right now with all our 2nd round picks still in tack but I stray

Poeman and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree. Had we said we're going with Hack and Petty would've been a brutal year with us being dogs by 20 points per game. But we'd have the number one pick and two 2nd rounders. Only the Jets can mess up tanking.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

How does trading for the two guarantee Darnold? If they're willing to trade with Darnold still available it means they're not going QB, so sit. Aren't many teams, if any who can offer a package attractive enough to the Giants.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. LF911SC

Other than no HC working in the NFL would play QBs who don't deserve to be on the field over the best available choice already on the roster.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

It would be a trade while the Giants are on the clock and the Browns take Allen. If they do not the Jets will stay at three and take between Rosen and Mayfield.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I'd prefer somebody younger though. Maybe Jay Bromley from the Giants?

10. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think I saw a tweet that Bromley is visiting too.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. LF911SC

So what you are saying is the Giants would trade the pick if Darnold were there but if no one wants to trade they'll just draft him? Doesnt make a lot of sense to me, either they want him or they want someone else. If theyre looking to trade the pick, they dont want him as much as someone else still on their board. I hear what youre saying, just dont think its a good way to run your draft

12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Probably mistated. I think the Giants want Barkely. I think they'll say to the Jets give us your third you can have him. They'd be thrilled to get an extra third and still get Barkely. If the Jets don't take the bait I think they'd trade the pick for three first rounders and two second round picks. I think the Giants are thinking Barkely or a trade they can't refuse.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. LF911SC

I know what youre saying just think you either want a FQB or you want the best player. If youre sold on the FQB you dont give it away for a RB. We'll see, will be interesting on thursday night

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Last year ( despite that 3 game winning streak )most people realized that the Jets were not going to win many games--Mccown played just enough to cost us and The Jets organization a top 3 pick,ps off the top of my head Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson ,Carsen Wentz and Doug Pederson, Jared Goff and Jeff Fisher, all say hi

15. LF911SC

You can keep repeating what we all know, the Jets werent winning a pile of games no matter the QB. We all get it. Thats a whole lot different than a HC standing in front of a team and announcing that hes playing a QB the entire team knows can win games. Not the same as win a championship. No team wants to go out and give up a huge hunk of their career playing on a team that doesnt want to even try to win. Dont know whos saying hi and why, do you?

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I don't want to derail this thread but we all know that the Jets were starting Mccown in meaningless games and the results are what they are we wound up with the 6th pick in this years draft. If you want to know why the coaches and those QBs say hi it was in response to what you wrote see it again
    "Other than no HC working in the NFL would play QBs who don't deserve to be on the field over the best available choice already on the roster."
    Those were just 3 coaches that took a chance and played guys when they had other options and possibly better options at the time

17. LF911SC

And I asked why because youre wrong. Wilson was the better player that preseason and all during camp so Pete played the better QB. Tanking wasnt even close to the reason why he played Wilson.

Goff was benched because Keenan outplayed him that summer, Goff looked lost and was taking a beating playing tentatively.

Wentz was their best QB from day 1.

Now in what world was Petty or Hack the better choice over McCown? You know, other than going back to your first point, that we would have a higher pick in the draft by tanking.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What's up with Johnathan Hankins? Is he an oddball? I don't get how he hasn't signed with a team yet if he is so good. The longer you wait, the less money you get. Smart of the Jets to move on and sign someone before the draft. Or potentially pressure Hankins into making a decision.

CBG likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Just so there is no understanding I never used the word TANK. I said the team was going no where and they blew it by not playing Petty or Hack or other youngsters but I stray . There are many coaches in the NFL that take a chance with another QB to see what they have or put the team in a better position in the future sadly Todd Bowles is not one of them---we can also debate who is in charge and gets the final say him or Mac but that again is derailing the thread.

20. LF911SC

Those that wanted us to tank rarely use the word tank. What they do is what you did, say that the idiots who run the Jets played a QB who won a few games and then list the draft spot we would have had if we played Petty. And also complain that we would have had the 2nd or 3rd pick and still had the picks we traded to get up to 3. There isnt a HC that you can name who played a QB that everyone knew was worse than what he had on the bench to improve his teams long term goals.