Jets waive Ardarius Stewart

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Sep 19, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Must be off the field stuff. Stewart hasn't been great, but he has been good enough to keep. He has shown flashes of being a good WR too. He will be claimed for sure. Probably by Buffalo or New England.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO that depends. If they've shown anything, then yes, it would be stupid to give up on them this early, but if not (and neither really has), why keep them and waste the roster spot(s)? I find it kind of refreshing that a GM admits that he made a mistake in drafting a player and moves on rather than wasting time and energy.

I believe that Whitehead is gone as well. Hopefully, they sign Stewart to the PS if they think he has any potential.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

then they should have shown more as they were both beat out by peake a 7th round 3rd year player for a roster spot and people like robbie in his 3rd year as an UDFA is a starter and enunwa in year 4 as a 5th rounder is a starter. Draft position doens't mean squat if you can't cut it

K'OB and BacktoQueens like this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Honestly I thought we cut him months ago.

5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

It goes both ways. I am happy that the GM cut bait on a failed pick, but its obviously disappointing that someone didn't work out especially in year 2. We seem to have plenty of WR depth for the time being, but Mac and his scouts need to re-evaluate how they scout the wide receiver position as they are 0-3 on their picks in that regard.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Cutting a third-round pick after one year is just bad. I'm not saying it's the wrong decision, but it is a tremendous indictment of the GM making the picks. Getting nothing out of mid-round picks is exactly how bad teams stay bad, and the Jets have already cut a 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick after one year.

8. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

If you think Peak in any shape or form in game outperformed these two you are stupid. WTF is going on... are we really just become the old raiders and keeping speed over talent jesus fucking christ

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

It’s almost like the Jets are terrible at drafting

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Actually, Jets ARE terrible at drafting.

People are hammering MacCagnan for his bad picks, but they don't remember how bad things were before he tagged along.

You don't believe me? Look at this all-star list of GMs that drafted like total train wreck that they are:

Terry Bradway
    Mike Tannenbaum
    JOHN FUCKING IDZIK

Just thinking about these three made me bleed from my fucking forehead. Fuck.

SOJAZ, TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  11. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Perhaps the hardest part of evaluating talent is determining when the athlete is going to peak, or whether he has peaked already.

Some guys look great in high school and get run over at the college level. I'm sure many of us know someone who we thought was the best we'd ever seen, but never made it.

Others look good in college but can't hack it at the pro level. A lot of guys fall into this category.

Some guys don't begin their ascent until after a 2-4 years in the league and sustain success. Many of your top-tier QB's fall into this category.

And some peak very late - see Vinnie Testaverde.

Heck, Johnny Unitas was 6'1" and 145lbs as a freshman at Louisville. He was drafted in the 9th round and cut - almost never played a down in the NFL. Who could have predicted that he'd become the Golden Arm. Kurt Warner started for the Rams at age 28 only because Trent Green went down, otherwise he may never have taken a snap - he'd be managing a grocery store somewhere right now.

It's an imperfect science at best. Sometimes Maccagnan reaches, especially in the second round for some reason, and sometimes he finds a Robby Anderson sitting around unclaimed.

nycarl and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, it is an "imperfect science", especially since you're trying to evaluate talent that plays an almost entirely different game, and in most cases the players don't play against each other, and play in different systems. But there are some GMs who seem to have a way of consistently finding talent. What do they do? Macc isn't in that category, but he either needs to get there quick, or the Jets need to find a GM who has this ability. Overall I'd give him a "C" - not terrible, but not very good. He gets a lot of wiggle room for taking the chance to move up and getting Sam, but he needs to quickly fill holes that have been here his whole tenure. This off-season needs to be "put up or shut up" for him.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Peake ;)

:p

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Tanny with Mangini was the only time from the past that was better FO at drafting compared to now, but that obviously was short lived. They also brought us one of the biggest busts in Gholston though too.

15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give him an "A" but I wouldn't give him a "C" either, because there is much more to the job than evaluating draft talent. In the modern age GMs have to handle free agency (their own players and players on other franchises) as well as the salary cap. I think he's done a great job with cap management and that sets us up to have a potentially great haul in the next free agency period.

Two areas where I disagree with him philosophically are using that second round pick to reach for "maybes", and his view on OL talent. I still believe that for all the changes we've seen over the years, the game is still won and lost in the trenches.

The Formula for Winning
    1. Get your quarterback
    2. Protect your quarterback
    3. Knock down the other guy's quarterback

He's succeeded at #1. Now let's see how he does with 2 and 3.

16. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

They kept Anderson with his off the field stuff.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right about his managing the cap, so I'll bump him up to a C+. I like your "checklist" - makes sense.

Trainer likes this.
  18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Whitehead isn’t on the team. And yes Peake is better at special teams, the only value a 5th/6th wr would have so he is better.

FJF likes this.
  19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Mac gets a C at best. Total neglect of the oline and horrendous mid round picks being his biggest weaknesses

CBG likes this.
  20. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Mac sucks so bad at drafting it is so frustrating. All he is able to do as a GM is pick a top prospect that everyone knows is going to be good that fell to his lap and make makes to acquire a free agent or trade. Having a team built on free agents and trades is not good. His picks have been so bad, especially the premium picks.