Jets trading for 49ers CB Rashard Robinson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Oct 31, 2017.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Why not
    Even if there was a Tom Brady in this years draft, we wouldn't take him.
    We prefer to use 2nd round picks on those "reach QB's."

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Sure does haven't you heard of trading from a position of strength? So 24 games in and he has 2 good games. Yeah, only Jets fans think that is great stuff. I would dump him for a 5th round right now.

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Well at least we're not the Browns who can't even figure out how to get a trade done !

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

And that's why you are sitting on your couch typing that. Let the GM's do their work...You don't just dump talent like that especially when the staff may have found a way to best utilize him at what, the age of 22?

5. Jetsfansince95

5th rounders have 2 types of value in trades ... A for a over the hill vet or B for a younger guy with upside

Nesquik and FJF like this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

So the most penalized CB comes to the most penalized team. What could go wrong there? Next game starting Robinson and Skrine could be epic in both TD's given up and penalties.

7. Jetsfansince95

I just read that somewhere oh yea Cimini

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, you have to remember, the Giants will likely have their choice of any QB they want in the draft ... so getting a top tier coach and GM to come to the organization under those circumstances should be fairly easy.

The Jets, of course, will draft the 6th or 7th QB in the draft in the 3rd round, then let him sit on the bench for three years, then cut him.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Granted, its only PFT, so we can take the report with a grain of salt, but PFT is reporting that Bowles had no clue that Mac was in discussions with the Niners about Rashard Robinson. If accurate, then it shows just how little communication is happening between Bowles and Mac and how they could definitely be operating at cross purposes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/01/rashard-robinson-trade-took-todd-bowles-by-surprise/

Rashard Robinson trade took Todd Bowles by surprise
    Posted by Josh Alper on November 1, 2017, 6:25 AM EDT
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images

Jets coach Todd Bowles held a press conference on Tuesday just before the 4 p.m. ET trade deadline and said “not to my knowledge” when asked early on if the Jets would be making any trades.

As it happens, the Jets were finishing up a trade with the 49ers while Bowles was talking and Bowles proved that things were going on in the personnel department without his knowledge. The Jets sent a fifth-round pick to the Niners for cornerback Rashard Robinson and the deal hit the wire in enough time for Bowles to face questions about it.

And ask one of his own. When asked about trading for Robinson, Bowles said, via comments distributed by the team, “did we?” and added “nothing right now” when asked what he knew about Robinson.

One thing he’ll learn is that Robinson will fit right in with his penalty-prone team. The Jets have 63 accepted penalties against them this season, one behind the league leaders on that front, and Robinson has been flagged 10 times. That’s good for second in the league behind Seahawks tackle Germain Ifedi and puts Robinson just ahead of new teammates Morris Claiborneand Buster Skrine in a secondary that seems likely to draw some yellow over the second half of the season.

boozer32 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I also don't understand at all why we're even considering trading draft picks away. We're already setting ourselves up to be behind the draft franchise quarterback eight ball in terms of where we're going to be selecting. We already don't have enough ammunition to move up to get the guy we want/need vs. the ammunition teams like the Bills, Browns, etc. have.

So let's trade some of it away for a player we could've picked up on the waiver wire in the offseason.

In reality it's not really a big deal. But it's not very sensical. We made a deal to make a deal.

boozer32, KurtTheJetsFan and Peebag like this.
  11. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

The Browns are there to make us feel better about being Jets fans.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I can't say I like trading away draft picks. But it's a 5th round pick and he is good value, young with a lot of upside for a 5th round pick.

The problem I see is he is a player that needs fixing. Teams vary rarely ever fix a player with upside that needs fixing. But then again it is rare that a 5th rounder makes it to a 2nd contract. His biggest problem appears to be his weight which has been speculated to be the reason for all his penalties as he cannot physically compete at 175 lbs. This is something that he won't be able to address until the offseason.

The reality is if he can become a serviceable backup it was a very good deal. But he has greater upside with a chance to be a starter if he puts on weight. That is much better than one could expect from a 5th round pick. I don't have a problem with the deal. We need a good young CB. With the poor play by Burris this year I am excited to see Robinson play.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its not a "deal to make a deal" at all... the GM made a deal for a cornerback because we are very thin at the position. Last sunday the coaching staff had to move our prized young safety into a role he shouldn't be playing (cover corner) because we didn't have any healthy corners on the roster.

That is what general managers do with midseason moves- they fill holes on the roster

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He’ll look good in practice going against buck and a quarter Robbie Anderson

Centiment likes this.
  15. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Will be like a handbag fight at the supermarket :)

ajax, FJF, pdxdrew and 2 others like this.
  16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I have to say we do pretty well with reclamation projects. ASJ is now our best receiving target and Ealy has been a huge contributor. Macc seems to know talent of other teams even if he is hit and miss in the draft.

ajax likes this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think this move doesn't speak too highly of Justin Burris either who has literally disappeared. Well another pick wasted.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Does everybody look at things so black and white? The team wasn't expected to win this year, they are very much overachieving and looking much better than expected.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Premium price? Because we totally draft tons of all pro talent in the 5th round. This guy was a 4th last year, and has a lot of potential. He just has to improve his penalties.

20. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Worth a shot I guess...Mac would have probably traded back for 2 6th rounders anyway.

boozer32 likes this.