Jets to sign Trumaine Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 13, 2018.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Smash is spoken where I'm from. I guess you've been everywhere. Words and phases have multiple meanings and in different cultures. Smash could also mean "I smashed your girl lastnight after the club". Or to a Kiwi they might say "how bout a good root". Both mean the very same thing. Just depends on what part of the world you just happend to be.

2. boozer32

Yawn.

#242 boozer32, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  3. boozer32

Yes so they only have to role the coverage to the other guys. Johnson takes away a team best receiver. Isn't that the goal Solid? They aren't giving money to follow a slot receiver around. It helps the safeties and helps Claiborne out also. You could role one of the safeties to help Claiborne or not. Playing zone is for pussies. If they play up to their respective talents (big if with the safeties) then the weak spot is the slot with Skrine. The pass rush is their problem because if they can't generate pressure teams will still have all day to find someone.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

outside of revis for a few years, no other CB follows around Wrs. they just play their side of the field. If you tip your hat in coverage, teams will beat it no matter how good a player is. You are setting him up for failure

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Time machine bump. What did YOU think of the Johnson signing?

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It will go down as one of the worst free agent contracts in NFL history...It will make the top 10 list when the NFL Network does there specials.

7. GasedAndConfused

it's crazy how bad luck we have had with signing really good payers to huge contracts and having them play poorly and get banged up. wilkerson and revis (the 2nd time around) come to mind as well.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  8. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

The cautionary tale of somebody getting the biggest on monies and utterly not giving a shit. At least the Jets got productive years out of Mo Wilk, this lazy fuck we got nothing out of but agita...

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  9. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

The modern-day version of the Neil O'Donnell signing...much-ballyhooed FA import, and was a spectacular two-year failure.

Pepsiguy5 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

How is this bad luck? The writings were on the wall to not sign him and that he was not really that good and had one season with elevated interception numbers. He was giving up nearly 80 yards a game.

It was a poor move, but hardly "bad luck." It was bad talent evaluation.

Cman68, Acad23 and mrjet80 like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

lol no not at all. he was a top 3 rated CB in press coverage in the NFL for a few years in a row. so much so that the rams opted to franchise him and keep him over jenkins who was a pro bowler and signed a big deal with the giants. I think he just got lazy when he got paid or maybe he's lost a step after the injury. he's also been banged up for us both years. he could have a lingering injury affecting him. Also it didn't help that we played him 10 yards off ball every play. he's more physical then fast and when you play 10 yards off you can't touch the WR.

as far as wilkerson goes, he was a monster on his rookie deal and a pro bowler. he got injured in his option year and we gave him a fat deal. either he got lazy or the injury diminished his ability, but nobody could have forseen that. Revis was still a pro bowler when we signed him.

I mean we aren't the only team to get burned in free agency. giants are paying soldier a grip at LT and he's been awful. steelers gave moncried like 9 mil for the year and cut him mid season after he had 4 catches on the year. he's always been awful. marquise lee is another bad contract but for jax. oh also quincy signing his big deal before blowing his neck out for the 2nd year in a row and he may never play again. when it's all said and done we will have paid him out like 20 mil for less then 5 catches

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mac threw big money at Mevi$ Lazy Mo and then this hot garbage of a player

Total cost had to to be 250 million down the Drain (correct me if it amounted to more)

Triple times 100 FEH

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Sometimes I'm smart = This is what I said when we signed Trumaine Johnson and I also said he was the weakest link on that Ram Defense many times

Br4d said:
    "The dude was getting paid franchise tag money the last two years and in a contract year both years and his play declined.
    I mean seriously, what do you expect he's going to do for us? He parlayed a career year in 2015 into back to back tags, neither of which looked anything like the career year and now we just extended his ability to get paid like a superstar for at least 2 more years."
    He's suddenly going to bounce back until 2015 because all the pressure of playing on a tag in a contract year was what made him decline?

"Mo,,,,I think this is a lot of money for this guy,,I think he is okay but not worth what they paid. Im not sure they should be embarrassed but honestly I know its a need and Im on the fence with it . Im glad they addressed it but would not have blamed them for passing. I hope the scheme helps,,,,,,in retrospect I compare this guy to a Lito Sheppard back in the day ,,,,he was not Revis or Cromartie or ASMUGHA spelling lol but just an average guy that depending on scheme looked ok or bad,,,just my opinion"

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Bro come on. The article legler posted some odd pages back said he was giving 80 yards a game and one of the worst rated corners in the game despite forcing a good number of interceptions.

It's ok to admit when you're wrong. It was a horrible signing from the start. He was an overrated player and I don't think many other teams were in on giving him a deal like that. It wasn't some situation where we signed Randy Moss in his prime and he suddenly tore both Achilles in consecutive years. He was a middle of the road player who jumped on a big contracts.

Bad signing all together. Before AND as a result of the production.

PennyRoyal10 likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

16. GasedAndConfused

again take your own advice. he's never been an INT type of CB. he had 1 year with 7. outside of that not much at all. the 2 years before we signed him, he had 3 INTs combined. I think you are confusing him with jenkins. jenkins was the one that got a lot of picks but also got burned alot and picked on playing opposite of trumaine. trumaine was the lock down CB of their D for 5+ years.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Why do all reports in this thread state otherwise? And you have no data based on anything other than you saying "he was a top press cover corner for years."

The results on the field are the results on the field. I don't think at 27 years old he suddenly couldn't cover anything when he signed with us.

18. GasedAndConfused

becuase i actually watch the games and also did plenty of study when we signed him. now because he's sucked for us, people are pretending they didn't love this and cherry picking stuff and you are just repeating the hive mind echo chamber with no thought for yourself but doing it as if you know what you are talking about instead you are repeating heresay
    [​IMG]

an 80+ is a really good grade. not elite but high quality starter. he struggled in off ball coverage due to lack of speed and agility which broght his grade down. he's big and physical but never got to elite status. he's always just been a really good starter. he was over for 2 of his last 3 years there before we signed him and dipped down to 74 the final year. The rams also franchised him 2 years in a row. you don't franchise a player for 2 years in a row if they suck. we didn't use him well or he didn't fit the scheme bowles ran. another thing to consider is the length to cover. any CB here would see their production go down due to a lack of pass rush. where the rams had aaron donald and a monster pas rush. jenoris jenkins also seen a dip in his production when he left the rams for the giants and will likely be cut by them as well after this year and never lived up to his contract.

this is the article people are quoting

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-2018-n...jaff&cjevent=147be0b2017f11ea8103006f0a1c0e13

they also say bad things about dee ford (who is killing it and proving them wrong) and carlos hyde (who is also proving them wrong) they were right on a couple of people but not in the right way. soldier has been awful for the giants, they just said he'd get overpaid. same with TJ. they didn't say he was bad, just that he would get paid more then he is worth. so what every player does in free agency especially the ones at the top of their class. that's the NFL economy.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...maine-johnson-cornerback-rankings-stats-2017/
    here he was the number 1 press cover corner in the NFL the year before we signed him

"A little sneak peak of the Rams' section of my coverage book. Trumaine Johnson finished #1 in press-man effectiveness with an 84% "in position" rate. He allowed just 43 yards all season in press."

"It was in off-man coverage where Johnson wasn’t elite, although he still ranked 23rd by Wharton’s measures."

with us we didn't use him in press and he's been banged up a lot and missed time. really it's a shard fault. we didn't use him right, he's been injured, and then even when not injured he hasn't been the player he was. but during his rams tenure he was a great CB we had a huge need at CB so we signed him and it didn't work out.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member