Jets to Sign Travis Swanson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Apr 3, 2018.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Tanner Purdum will be missed

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Henny was fine as LS

Swanson came out but was expected to at least be a viable starter since he was good in college. He initially struggled then been battling concussion issues as of late. He's a decent player, who can play center or guard. Seems like between him and Harrison, the Jets likely have their inside OL set for now with Ilajana the backup tackle but it gives Mac to possibly address pass rusher. Maybe if a guy they like falls to their pick, they will grab him...This draft is deep on interior linemen.

3. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

Swenson, Swanson...Samsonite!

Early 80's likes this.
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

how does signing Swanson mean we won't draft an OL?

KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think the Jets may grab a T prospect in this draft.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think your right. Just looking at projections, there should be some OLB prospects at 3 and a couple of Tackles on the top of the board at 3. It could even work out that a Center falls to 3. In that scenario,long moves to LG, Swenson starts at C with the Rookie behind him at least going into camp, and Carpenter is released.

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Swanson is depth and might not make the team. I don't think the signing of him deters us from drafting a center guard or tackle. I think it gives us a little more freedom with who to draft. If you look at the way things are breaking I think the Jets thought they'd go OL and d end/OLB in round two. Now it looks like DE/OLB since they have added depth along the line. If a lineman fell to them in round three I think they'd draft him but it would have to be one of their top guys. I think round three is looking like DE/OLB since we don't have much at either position.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

In 3 drafts with the jets Mike Mac has drafted a total of two, count em two, OL and both in the 5th round. He is on record as stating he believes you can fill your OL with and free agents and mid round picks--You know, a guy like Wesley Johnson, a 6th-round pick of the Steelers who they cut and then eventually started for the jets. A team plays more OL (5) than any other position on the field, but Mike Mac would rather draft 4 DBs and 3 receivers in 2017 (last year). You must invest (draft) in that position once in a while, like in 06 when the jets took Ferguson and Mangold. Under Mike Mac, we will continue to have other teams retreads like Johnson and Swanson on the OL, but, hey, we will have plenty of DBs.

9. TurkJetFan

so now mid round picks aren't part of the draft? are you suggesting we should take an OL 3rd overall? who's to say we dont take one in the third? and again, what does swanson have to do with draft plans?

CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I will explain it you--My point is MM should DRAFT a few more offensive lineman, not rely on other teams throw aways. Nobody is saying they should take an OL at #3 overall, now that they traded 3 second round picks.. But I thought it was really stupid in 2017 draft that he spent 4 picks on DBs and 3 more on receivers and totally ignored OL (not one in 9 picks last year). You get that point, don't ya? As I said, using a couple of 5th round picks in 3 years does NOT build a team a decent OL--the throw aways (like Swanson) that he does pick up here and there explain why their Qb is always under pressure and their RBs have no holes to run through. From what I read, the lions are glad to be rid of swanson-- Mike Mac will likely bypass OL again this year in the draft since he signed a guy like Swanson (a player another team didn't want to bring back because he is not very good) Can't make it any clearer than that. But, feel free to respond if you want--you can have the last word.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'm not ruling out drafting Frank Ragnaw in round 3 if available. You make a good point though, the Jets need to draft more OL in the first 3 rounds.

TonyFtLaud, tomdeb and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. TurkJetFan

so, who said he WON'T DRAFT a few O-Lineman and how does Swanson mean he won't? That is all I asked. Who's to say we don't draft 2 OLineman and Swason doesn't crack the 53? Or we do draft 2 O Lineman and Swanson DOES crack the 53. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

And you came back with a convoluted mess of reasoning. And we're still back to the same question.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Tom's just frustrated, and I can understand his frustration. Tom sees the OL of prime importance. Mac evidently does not, and has not devoted a lot of effort or draft capital in trying to upgrade the OL.

I share some of Tom's frustration with the lack of improvement on the OL, but I'm also frustrated with the lack of playmakers on the team, and the lack of adequately addressing the QB position until this year. That's the problem when your cupboard is practically bare when you take over as GM due to your predecessors sucking, missing on too many draft picks and trading too many away to move up in the draft.

Unfortunately, it takes time for GMs to develop and learn on the job, to improve the scouting and personnel depts., not all draft picks pan out, and it takes time to turn over and improve one's roster.

I'm really hoping that unless there is a pass-rushing OLB prospect who the scouts and Mac love and think will instantly upgrade our pass rush, or some other great player who mysteriously dropped, I hope that Ragnow is sitting there at our pick and that's whom Mac takes.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. TurkJetFan

ok so let me once again ask the same question.

How does signing Swanson mean we will not draft more than 1 O Lineman in this draft?

15. NCJetsfan

It doesn't mean that to me, but it may to Tom. He's seen how Mac has handled FA and the draft in his previous 3 years on the job. All we have to go on is past experience. Things can always change, but that doesn't mean that they will. I don't think it's that difficult to understand that when someone is already very frustrated with the OL situation, and fearful that history might repeat itself, that a poster would become pessimistic and distrustful.

16. I’m with you except for on Ragnow.Im not very high on him or drafting a center all together. For one none of the centers really entice me in a zone scheme,I don’t view center as an impact position in a zone scheme..it’s more feast or famine..Johnson was famine. I’d much rather take a guard or Tackle

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He supposedly tried to get Tunsil 2 years ago. I hope he doesn't pass on Ragnow if he's available when the Jets pick in the 3rd round. IMO, LT and C are where there needs to be stability on the OL. And to a lesser extent, LG.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. TurkJetFan

anyone who thinks signing swanson means we are not drafting a player bc we signed swanson is bat shit. it's like people losing their minds over us signing rawls as if it means we are drasitcally altering the course of our franchise.

over reaction city and just another reason for jets fans to bitch and moan.

TonyFtLaud and Walt White like this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm guessing that it's easy to get frustrated if you've been rooting for this team for 50+ years. I can't understand the pain and agony they've experienced. :p

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to disagree on this. For one thing, with both Long and Swanson having injury issues, I think our center position is far from set. Also, how are centers not important when they often make protection calls? Further, I like Ragnow, and like both Long and Swanson, he can play either C or OG, so it would be like drafting an OG, except that he's more flexible. That would give the Jets a LOT of versatility on the inside, and they can try them in different combinations to find the best one. At this point, the only two positions I'd rather see the Jets draft with their 3rd round pick is either OLB or OT.

Sam Hammer likes this.