Jets to retain 3-4 base defense under Williams?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sam Hammer, Feb 20, 2019.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The Jets seem to have organizational problems that run deep.

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Williams is a very good coach , he's obviously taken the time since getting hired to go through the roster and probably sees that its going to take some time to assemble the defense he really wants .
    We're letting players go that are average , at best ... I'm sure they"ll try to bring some back at a lower cap # , but if they get away, so be it ... we can always sign some depth in FA that will fill those roles.

I think this defense is going to be evolving over the next 2 seasons & Williams will experiment with multiple fronts as he usually does.
    I'm sure we will switch to more of a 4-3 next season as the turn over of players needed is probably too great to make an immediate change.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He tweeted a pic of himself working with Leo yesterday

GQMartin likes this.
  4. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'm not so convinced by this. Williams runs multiple fronts and the significance of the base defense has decreased in recent years, sure, but it's rare that defensive guys get too far away from what they're good at. It may seem like its not a big deal, but when you've been running a 4-3 for decades and all of your sub-packages, coverages, blitz schemes and gap assignments are based out of it...it's not so easy to make that change.

Also, it's not like the Jets would have to do all that much to fit personnel. As it is, they need to replace ~40% of the roster anyway. There's some non-perfect fits like Williamson at the Mike, but he could easily slide over to the Sambacker position as a more natural fit and open up the possibility of signing someone like Jordan Hicks at Mike. Darron Lee (Will) and Leonard Williams (3 tech) could see vast improvement and Trumaine Johnson played his best ball in Williams' system. Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye are one of the best safety duos in the league (assuming health) and should fit in just fine. So really we're looking at finding starters that can fill a couple roles. We would need Edge guys badly and some interior defensive linemen depth. Shepherd should function just fine in the 4-3, though we could benefit from a true nose. I'd like to bring back Anderson as a situational pass rusher, but he may have earned himself a nice contract from a 3-4 team and he's not worth overpaying.

Bottom Line: The switch to the 4-3 seems inevitable. I think any speculation otherwise is just acknowledging that the Jets are going to have to be very active in FA/Draft rebuilding the roster. You sign a guy like Lawrence/Flowers/Clowney/Graham and land a Bosa or Williams in the draft...all of a sudden that's looking like a very talented defense with a good 4-3 fit.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

too funny...

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Excellent set of observations. Rumors are starting to surface that the Jets will target Lawrence hard if he hits free agency. Williams and or Bosa are very real possibilities if we don't trade down.
    IMOOur new DC will be much more effective in putting the talent he has and will have in the best position to win by maximizing their strengths. I'm enthused as hell about this year.

b.reyes16 and Sam Hammer like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sam Hammer and Mr mittens like this.
  8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I understand there have been issues, but you are completely jumping to conclusions about Williams thinking we have better personnel for 3-4. He's not being forced to do that, that does not even make sense, but believe whatever helps you sleep at night.

9. Sam Hammer

The real question is, will he model his belly after Leo? :mad::mad::mad:

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I'm sure it is Greg Williams making the call on what defense they run. After all the years of running both the 4-3 & 3-4 defense I am sure he will know what is best for the defense & utilize the players to get the best results. If we changed to a 4-3 & we drafted Allen, that would be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Most likely we will Draft Williams or Allen who can both play 3-4.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its cheaper than a complete rebuild of the defense anyway...

12. WarriorRB28

What star player whines about getting double teamed?

13. WarriorRB28

Insanity.

Why does that pick have to be used on yet another defensive player to fit this tired scheme?

It's like a broken record. Jets never learn from past mistakes.

They drafted a QB high last year build up this offense like the majority of winning teams now do then they won't have to shut down the other opponent every week. It's a offensive league now anyway the rules dictate that.

For goodness sakes try something differemt!!!

14. WarriorRB28

I do believe the 3-4 is being forced on him.

No reason at all for him to stick with it really. If the Jets had some big time unit last year I might've believed he'd stick with it because why mess with a good thing right?

But this defense stunk to high heaven last year. There's no reason at all for him to stick with it unless his hands are tied.

15. Sam Hammer

What could management possibly gain by forcing a scheme on a DC?

TonyFtLaud, abc and Ralebird like this.
  16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Holy shit, he looks fat

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The only one whining is you.

joe and FJF like this.
  18. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I do believe the 3-4 is being forced on him.

No reason at all for him to stick with it really. If the Jets had some big time unit last year I might've believed he'd stick with it because why mess with a good thing right?

But this defense stunk to high heaven last year. There's no reason at all for him to stick with it unless his hands are tied.

#54 WarriorRB28, Yesterday at 11:36 AM

I Don't... not at all... I see this defense as being a 4-3 base with multiple fronts available.

19. WarriorRB28

What could management possibly gain by putting Vitt on the same coaching staff with Gregg Williams again?

It's the Jets.

Dumb things happen.

20. WarriorRB28

The articles say it'll be a 3-4 base defense.

A messed up 3-4 defense featuring lighter, quicker players because the Jets are no longer looking for players to clog the middle of the defense. Quite possibly a NFL first.

As far back as I can remember and possibly since time immemorial every 3-4 defense I've seen has featured BIGGER defenders up front a mammoth NT, big ends, big linebackers.

HOL MOLY MAN!!! If it weren't happening to my team I'd be LMAO at the poor suckers that will have to watch this disaster.:(