Jets to retain 3-4 base defense under Williams?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sam Hammer, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2019/02/20/what-jets-surprise-3-4-defense-means-for-nfl-draft-leonard-williams/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

I put a question mark because it's from NY Post, and sometimes they get pretty speculative. This isn't coming from Williams himself, just alleged "sources."

Apparently Williams thinks 3-4 is best suited to the personnel. This is interesting. I was excited to see Big Cat and Lee in 4-3, although to be honest the base defense isn't as relevant because teams switch out of their base quite often.

I trust Greg Williams to run what is best for the personnel, so I can't really be upset about this.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

not a surprise, today's league is about running multiple fronts. You will see Lee in certain roles just like Big Cat. I hope they expand Big Cat's role on the team allow him to move around a little bit more. Henry Anderson might stick around as well.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree it’s not a surprise. There is a lot of pressure to win right away and most of the personnel it set up for 3/4. There would be significant growing pains if they wanted to switch everything right away

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. This makes me feel alittle better about the offense being the focal point this offseason aside from edge & the like.

BacktoQueens and Sam Hammer like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Leonard Williams will disappoint in either scheme.

harts24 and Jets69 like this.
  6. Deleted.

#6 KurtTheJetsFan, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2019
  7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

That surprises me as we just let Pierre Louis and Pennel go, two guys I thought were more 3-4 guys they were shedding because of Williams defense more than anything else.

Regardless what our base package looks like, I am surprised that we would get rid of decent backups when we have so few guys signed on this roster. Mac either has a 50 page offseason plan that he wrote or just reckless with those moves.

My last thought is that means we would definitely be targeting Josh Allen over Quinnen Williams should he be available and that does make me happy.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Agreed. They should make Anderson a priority before somebody else snatches him up.

9. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

we "got rid" of them due to bonuses that were due soon and too large for their abilities. They may be back at a later date

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I get that but we have like 34 signed players on the roster so we have to make a lot of signings in FA. It’s also possible they do not want to come back to play here after being released. I am not losing sleep over it but I don’t want us signing scrubs as backups because we couldnt sign enough decent players.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Perhaps they let Pierre-Louis and Pennel go because they were not any good. Simple as that

12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What a disaster this is turning into. First they hire his enemy as part of the coaching staff now they're sticking with the same, tired scheme. The defense was awful last year who cares if the 'personnel' best fits a 3-4?

Many of the players need to be changed and with $100 million in cap space bring in new players!!!

But of course with them deciding to pay Williams his $14.2 milliion salary in 2019 and Johnson costing them a ton of cash that limits how much they're willing to spend on new players.

13. WarriorRB28

And they're paying him like he's a superstar.

14. WarriorRB28

When will the curse be lifted? When will the curse of incompetant leadership be lifted? Incompetent leadership that overpays mediocre players then sticks with them in order to save face?

They brought Gregg Williams here let him run his defense!!!! He had Myles Garrett in Cleveland who is his stud rusher here? Our Leo? HOLY MOLY MAN!!!!!

This idea that he's coming here and making chicken salad out of what they have here is insanity!!! He needs players to get the job done!!

Jeez the Jets are such a mess.

All that cap space, all those high picks the stage is set for a massive turnaround and they're blowing it.

15. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

If they are going to stick with the 3-4 defense they should have hung on to Pennel, rite now the interior of the d-line looks pretty weak. I was looking forward to the 4-3 defense. Now Sign Henry Anderson. If we sign Josh Allen, he fits 3-4 better than 4-3, Bosa is better in 4-3, so do we pass on Bosa for Allen if they are both on the board at #3. Now the Williams & Williams interior in the 4-3 will never happen.

#15 BudJet, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I was hoping (and half expecting) to hear.

Williams ability to run multiple fronts is a big reason why I wanted him.
    I feel that's a more effective way to game plan, and it will not involve a painful and unnecessary transition, which enables us to focus more on offensive personnel.
    Good news if true!

in terms of defensive personnel, emphasize getting guys who are position/technique versatile like Big Cat.
    Josh Allen is still my ideal draft choice (short of a massive haul to trade back).

Quinnenthebeast likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

I thought KPL, Pennel and Brooks were all solid depth/role players.
    Was kinda surprised to see them all go as well.. I'm guessing they just didn't like them for the price.

Would be happy to sign back to roster, otherwise they need to be replaced with comparable quality depth.
    This FA period is huge. Can't blow wad chasing too many high priced guys with this much depth to fill out.

18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I will wait to react until I hear from G. Williams. Having said that, if this is the case, I will be disappointed.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

Why?

20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Every head coach is our enemy so who cares what team he came from, its how successful he is as a HC of NYJ. Bottom line. Disaster?? Talk about being dramatic. The fact that our new defensive coach, who's got years of experience and results, decides to keep the 3-4 as our base, which doesn't mean squat, and your going into Jet fan bitch mode because we got rid of 2 marginal players.

FJF likes this.