Jets start dumping players

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 19, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Just until they sign Cousins.
    Then we can return to our regularly scheduled programming.....
    I think it all comes down to this...
    Mac, you better find a QB before camp opens!

Red Menace likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

John Elway drafted six players in 2012 that started in the SB three years later. One RB, three DL, and two LBs.

Some of those players were drafted in rounds five and six.

Who cares if they were resigned when they got one more Lombardi trophy than the Jets have won in my lifetime?

3. TonyFtLaud

• Derek Wolfe, DE, Cincinnati.
    • Brock Osweiler, QB, ASU.
    • Ronnie Hillman, RB, SDSU.
    • Omar Bolden, CB, ASU.
    • Philip Blake, C, Baylor.
    • Malik Jackson, DE, Tennessee.
    • Danny Trevathan, LB, Kentucky.
    • That's his entire 2012 draft class. There are not 6 Players in that class who started on any Super Bowl roster. He had one of the best off seasons of all time, no arguments.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

There were actually four since Williams was drafted in 2013, not 2014 and Marshall was a 2012 free agent (not draft pick), Also, Osweiler started much of the season even though Manning got the SB start. Still very impressive.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

No arguments there. I agree fully it was a great draft and the FA signings were too.

James Hasty likes this.
  6. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Bilal Powell leaving would save us $4 million dollars. That's pennies considering our Cap space, however, if by a miracle we end up getting Saquon I don't see why the Jets shouldn't trade him to increase cap space and possibly get a mid-round pick.

7. TonyFtLaud

Don't know that there would be much of a market for him now(several FAs and good draft for RBs) but could see a trade during the season due to an injury.

8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should read what I wrote. Yes you did ridicule, you've been doing it since I've been here. I also don't know that Wash. likes him better, money could have something to with it. Do you think that if offered a deal,Cousins would actually accept it or has he had enough of Wash?

9. LF911SC

So one game changes the fact that we both were 5 win teams? They aren't considered the worse team, aren't picking ahead of us for that reason? The jets did play lousy, McCown did get hurt, Petty came in and was Petty, Morton quit on the team.

But keep coming up with reasons why we suck and Denver doesn't.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you call my comments about Cousins "ridicule" so be it. Maybe you're too sensitive to read my posts then. Put me on ignore. I hope Cousins has a stronger constitution than you or he won't last a day in NY if you and the Cousins boosters get your wish.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

The best indicator of competitive strength is head to head competition. The "strength of schedule" used to determine draft order is purely subjective, and certainly not infallible.

Before McCown got hurt he sucked and the Broncos were kicking the crap out of the Jets. Use that as an excuse to cover the reality from yourself but it doesn't change it. And Morton quit with about 15 minutes to go, but the players quit before that, they were lifeless. I wonder if that had anything to do with their HC? All the Bowles Boosters here want to credit him with motivating the Jets to play above their level, so shouldn't he get the blame when they didn't? Of course not! He's just the victim of poor player acquisitions and coaches under him who don't do their jobs well. If we can just wait until he gets a roster of All Pros and HOF coaches we'll finally start winning those championships with Todd!

I have no defense of the Broncos. Yes, they sucked last year, but they sucked less than the Jets did proved by their performance against the Jets. You have no facts to rebut that, only your opinion. Enjoy that.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Winning mindset? Where are you getting that from? Mahomes had a losing record in college.

13. ColoradoContrails

How many here have said wins and losses aren't the best measure of QB success? There's much more to W/L than what a QB does or can do. For example, a QB can't play defense. In the three years Mahomes was the starter, out of 128 FBS teams, TT was ranked 125, 126, 128 in scoring defense, but Mahomes led top 5 scoring offenses his last two years. Here's an article that puts his W/L record in perspective:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/27/15458222/patrick-mahomes-texas-tech-draft-2017

The fact that he played from behind so often, and/or had to answer scores from the other team, to me shows a "never quit" attitude. In some ways a QB who plays on a losing team shows more than one who plays on a winning team. Jared Goff had a 14-23 record and he seems to be doing okay despite that.

Of course the only true measure is how he does in the NFL, but based on his historical performance I think he'll be one of the better ones.

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

That late first round didnt seem to have a ton of talent in it to begin with and we definitely took the best guy on paper. I still think Lee would thrive as a weakside 4-3 backer, but he still needs to work hard on his fundamentals anyway. I am cautiously optimistic about him now as we've seen improvement over year 1 and the fact that Demario Davis played out of his mind and should be a good mentor for him. Our linebackers in general is getting much better this yhear and we get a good draft pick or FA pickup, I think that unit has potential to be top 10 next year.

LF911SC likes this.
  15. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Neigh.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think wins and losses are a horrible measure of QB success. That's why I call out anyone who uses them to evaluate Cousins. But you said Mahomes has a winning mindset, as opposed to Geno and Petty who don't. I'm wondering where you got that from, considering Geno and Petty both led their teams to impressive victories in college and if anything seemed more like winners at the time than Mahomes did coming out of college.

17. ColoradoContrails

I thought I explained that. A "winning mindset" doesn't necessarily result in a winning record. As you acknowledged, there's a lot more that goes into deciding who wins and loses than who the QB is. Mahomes never quit, and if he didn't always win, he did his part in trying to. I was never a big fan of Geno, and as far as Petty goes, I just thought they should've spent more time developing him, but neither have anywhere near the upside of Mahomes IMO.

18. LF911SC

Actually one game, a game we lost our starting QB early, in Denver is not a better indicator than 16 games. It's why head to head is not a the breaker for draft position over strength of schedule.

It's one game. 16 carries more weight. And should

19. LF911SC

There are far too many sensitive girls here who cry put me on ignore anytime someone disagrees with them. Grow another layer of skin, your on a public forum with differing opinions. Some of you are looking for a huge circle jerk where we all agree with each other

James Hasty likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

From your comment, crying about how I "ridiculed" Cousins - talk about exaggeration! - it's pretty clear you're the "sensitive girl". Ignore me or not, I don't care.