Jets start dumping players

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 19, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The Jets made offensive tackle Ben Ijalana a free agent on Monday after they failed to exercise his player option.

New York did not exercise Ijalana's $500,000 option bonus that would have activated his $4.5 million base salary for the 2018 season. By doing so, the Jets will save a total of $4.6 million.

Ijalana, who has been a Jet since 2013, has appeared in 27 games for the Jets over the past two seasons, including 13 starts in 2016. He has appeared in 34 games since making his NFL debut with the Indianapolis Colts in 2011.
    Obviously this is a good sign that they are looking to fix the OL.
    Now let's see if Mac learned anything these past 3 seasons.
    This is going to be a very interesting off season to say the least!

#1 BudJet, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

And there's a lot more to go, like Forte, who has run out of steam. We need a new center so Carpenter might also go. Not to sure about a CB.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

With all the cap $ we have & 3 high picks I think there is going to be more players than we think let go
    Wilkerson, carpenter, skrine, forte, maulden, smith, etc.

Not to mention if we sign Cousins and we trade back for more picks. I could see us trading back
    With the cardinals at #15 because of there need for a qb. This will fill more holes in the roster and we will dump
    A few more players.

FlaJet, nicg4360 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Even though they are goners I could live with Forte or Carpenter for another year or at least until their replacements are on the roster. Wilkerson must go and I really hope that this is the year Buster Skrine gets the axe.

[​IMG]

Ptflea2, HomeoftheJets, FJF and 2 others like this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Why would the Jets trade back? They are in dire need of high end talent. Getting more picks will just confuse Macc and put more trash on the roster like Hackenberg, D. Smith.

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I would keep Carpenter too especially with Winters hanging around. I agree also Skrine must go!!!

7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Dumping Ijalana is a good move. Let's hope this is the beginning of the overhaul of the OL. It's about fucking time Mac you shithead.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Wow, 4.5 mil for him....bye

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Trading back is a sound philosophy. The draft is as much a crap shoot as a science. So the more crap you throw at the wall the more sticks.

Just because many of us don't trust the guy making the picks does not mean having more picks is a bad idea if the draft falls out terribly for us. We don't just need high end talent, we need all kinds of talent at every level of the roster right now.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised to see Mauldin go. He's still on a team friendly deal worth less than 1m and provides depth if he can come back from that injury.

11. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

This Ijalana move was a no-brainer. Dude was paid $5 million last season and saw what? 10 snaps all season? Now that Shell, although still injury prone, has proven himself and Qvale isn't an awful back-up, it just makes sense to cut ties.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I would keep maudlin also. Cheap n maybe he will get healthy. Worth another chance. Also buster. Last 6 games or so he was a different player. If we can some cover guys buster goes back in the slot where he belongs.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

they aren't letting carpenter go

Jets69 and Red Menace like this.
  14. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think the whole lines play suffered from compensating to help the terrible play from center and winters playing injured. I see carpenter back. Beechum stays no matter what because of his contract. Mauldin could not even get on the field and was less than impressive when he was. They may keep him if he can prove effective in situational downs.

sec314 likes this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not so sure of that. 4.7m in cap savings, he under performed last year, and we are switching to a zone scheme taht he has struggled in before. I can easily see him as a cap casualty.

16. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Fair points but I'm inclined to believe the gaping hole at center deserves most of that blame. I could be wrong.

Harpua likes this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Good move given his lack of production. Can't wait for the remaining moves like Wilkerson, Forte, Skrine, Devin Smith, etc.

18. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

C and the fact that they ran more of a zone concept in 2017, however, they will be running a very similar zone concept in 2018, so Carpenter could very well be on his way out. I don't think it's anywhere near a shoe-in that he's back with the Jets.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Carpenter is the only good offensive lineman on the entire roster.

20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I'd say dump Muhammad Wilkerson, but you gotta first see if there is a sucker willing to give us a draft pick for him.