Jets signed RB Thomas Rawls

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

The newsday article talks of 2019, I'm referring to 2018. Also Newsday states Pryor with 3m, that's incorrect, he got 4.2m
    You actually quoted the site I used the Slater document on NJ... I can't post links, just joined the site recently...
    But from his article, he concluded at the end...

ESTIMATED CAP SPACE LEFT
    OK, so if you start with the starting amount ($89.879 million) ...

And then you factor in the draft pool ($8.485 million) ...

And the new signings ($38.826 million) ...

And the re-signings ($20.58 million) ...

And the restricted free agent tenders ($8.635 million) ...

The Jets currently have about this much cap space — $13.353 million.

But remember, there are still five (mostly modest) contracts whose 2018 cap hits aren't known — Pierre-Louis, Hewitt, Brooks, Ijalana, and Harrison.

And the Jets won't go into the season pressed up against the cap, so they need to save a few million dollars in cap space, in case of an emergency.
    -------------- I just updated it because KPL, Brooks and Harrison are known numbers now, when they weren't on Friday.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You also have to keep in mind that the players drafted will displace 5 players currently on the roster , freeing up additional cap space . There will be plenty of additional signings and cuts to come. The team is fine as far as cap goes and will have more cap space entering next season than it had this season.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's a disappointing move. It all but assures the Jets won't be selecting a RB in this year's draft.

I think its important for GMs to focus on position strengths in the draft. It's obvious this is a once a decade running back class in the draft. That means even if you don't draft one of the top guys you can get a damn talented running back in the 4th or 5th round. As a GM you have to be aware of this stuff. Thomas Rawls is a dime a dozen type player ,he still would've been available AFTER the draft if for some reason you missed out on a running back.

this was a bad signing

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't think it was a homerun signing by any means but this is a little over the top...

For starters, considering there were already 72 RBs on the roster and they added another makes me think that they haven't ruled out taking an RB whatsoever. Second, why can't you cut him after the draft should Macc draft an RB? I have a hard time believing there's any kind of massive cap ramifications for cutting the guy. Third, two years ago Rawls was the heir apparent to one of the best RBs in the league on one of the best running teams in the league. Injuries derailed everything. It's certainly not a BAD signing especially considering it's for little to no money for one year. It's just not sexy. He's not a franchise kind of guy, but who is to say he can't be a solid piece in a healthy rotation of RBs?

I agree he's dime a dozen, but I can't find it in myself to be that bothered by the signing.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

When the jets tried going after McKinnon I figured it meant Powell was a goner and the jets figured they wouldn't have the drafr capital to draft a RB. Then Macc traded up to 3, all but cementing the fact that the jets will not be drafting a rb in round 2. What this means for powell is anyones guess at this point, but I have a feeling the jets are trying to offload powell, even if its for a late round pick.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I agree. Rawls is similar to Powell and 3 years younger. Reeks of a Demario Davis/Avery Williamson situation, except I do believe we upgraded there. This would be a downgrade.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they won't draft a running back. I'm saying it because they won't. They signed Rawls and Crowell because they intended to fill that hole in FA all along.

Macc isn't some unconventional genius. He is very "by the book." You can see his moves coming a mile away. For talking a big game about "best player available" he very much just uses the draft to fill needs. You can see it every year. This year he will not draft a RB, WR, or CB, he focused his attention on those positions in FA.

Mac's draft will focus on the weaknesses he failed to address, aka "need" those positions are: QB, OL, TE, EDGE

Brook! likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I get the point of getting younger at RB, but Raws for Powell wouldn't be an upgrade IMO

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Exactly

What did Rawls get paid? The Jets seem to have several decent RBs in camp every year. So many injuries, can't have enough.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I would've preferred to draft a RB with a 2nd round pick. But since that's no longer an option, I'm not gonna get worked up over this move.

Brook! likes this.
  11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We should be drafting OL with every single pick from 3rd round to 7th round. No picks left for a RB.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I hope he's better at football than Lou Rawls.

It would be hilarious to me if they are somehow related. It would make my sorry ass limp-wristed attempt at a joke worlds better.

13. TonyFtLaud

This year's RB class is good, best class since last year. Probably not as much talent as last year's class though.
    Rawls signing means nothing. We don't even have any specifics of his contract at this point. He could very easily be a camp casualty.
    By your logic , Mac won't draft a QB because he signed McCown and Bridgewater.
    I'd wait and see what his contract looks like before getting to worked up over a depth signing at best.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's possible. last year though we carried forte, powell, maguire and thomas at FB.
    we have to many holes to fill to take a RB. it was possible when we had 2nd rounders, but now we have none. RB isn't going to be an option in this draft

15. TonyFtLaud

I wouldn't rule out a RB in the 3rd, it will all depend on how the draft plays out. There is no way to know who will be available but if Mac has a RB graded highest when he's on the clock. I don't see Rawls as a reason he would pass on that player.

16. GasedAndConfused

i don't see rawls as that either, but more of we have much bugger needs in the 3rd round then a RB. powell, crowell, rawls, magurie, langford are already on the roster and we likely only keep 3 around for the season. Meanwhile we need help at o-line, TE, pass rusher, d-line. If ti comes down to a good o-line, good pass rusher, or good RB, i'd prefer to get the lineman or RB
    i did some mocks here i feel suit out needs much better http://www.forums.theganggreen.com/threads/mock-draft-2-0-2-23-18.90219/

17. TonyFtLaud

Agree but it's still going to come down to who is available and where they are ranked on Mac's board. He's not going to pass on a player for a lesser player due to need, or percieved need like at TE. Every before the Clive Walford claim. ASJs limited production won't be difficult to replace.
    The good thing is there are several Other lineman and DE/OLB who should fall in line with our draft positions in the 3rd and 4th round.

18. GasedAndConfused

I think walford negates the need at TE now honestly. and i think he will easily surpass ASJs production here, but he's a similar player as ASJ. Still when you have big needs elsewhere (Pass rusher, o-line, d-line) and 5 RBs on your roster likely keeping 3 or at max 4, that you have to look elsewhere in the draft and fill the holes. RB can be filled easily and immediately any year in the draft with a late pick. 3rd round or later lineman need time to develop

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Draft a QB at #3 and leave nothing to protect him with negates the whole signing..would Mac be that dense?

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I hope not...

NYJetsO12 likes this.