Jets should forget about dealing for any other QB except this one

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreggGant, Jan 17, 2017.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'd give them a 6th or 7th for AJ. A 1st rounder? GTFOH!!

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  2. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

I honestly thought this was a joke thread

Peebag likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The o.p. spelled deshaun watson wrong

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I like what you did there!

5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If he's that good the Bengals would move Dalton

If he's worse than Dalton I'm not interested

He's got backup skills with solid intangibles...overall I can't see him being anything close to a franchise QB

Simple as that

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So many fans of this team with love at first sight for backup QBs.

[​IMG]

7. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

It's crazy what 30-something years of desperation to find a franchise QB will cause fans to clamor for. AJ Mac, and 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks should never be mentioned in the same sentence...

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

That's it? You start a thread stating unequivocally that we should forget everybody else and make a deal for McCarron. Why? What's your reasoning? What have you seen of him that makes you think he is the franchise QB we have been searching for? At least give us a link to some cheesy article written by a Cinci fan boy like this

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/1/16/14247260/aj-mccarron-franchise-qb-potential

All you have given us is a crap thread with no argument and no support. To save the thread, others have posted their opinions, but instead of responding, you just burped out some garbage and ran away. Come on man, you can do better.

westiedog1 and PennyandtheJets like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If he was any good he'd be starting already in Cincy. Andy Dalton is an average QB. They've had some good teams there and they wouldn't have wasted them with an average QB if they had a good one in McCarron. McCarron is a backup QB

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

pretty sure I can take him....

kevda5n9ne and FJF like this.
  11. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

Yes lets sign another average buffalo burnout qb. The last one worked out great for us. And when bowles get fired the bills should hire him as their head coach. We surely will make the playoffs soon if we just keep swapping garbage with the other basement dweller in our division.

12. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

SIGN Glennon....trade down in draft and solidify OL and DBs....pick up a TE and go younger w/ roster...."Drain the Swamp".....

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LOOK.................. READ....................COMPREHEND:

Tyrod Taylor’s 2016 in-the-pocket passing statistics will probably surprise you
    Does the Bills’ quarterback struggle from within the confines of the pocket?
    by Chris Trapasso Dec 21, 2016, 1:00pm EST TWEET

All season Tyrod Taylor has received plenty of criticism for what some call “inconsistency” passing from within the pocket, the time-tested indicator of quality quarterback play.

To me, a faction of that thought has arisen simply as an unavoidable byproduct of Tyrod’s amazing elusiveness and scrambling ability being compared to his in-the-pocket passing.

I was curious about Tyrod’s in-the-pocket passing numbers this season, so I reached out to Pro Football Focus writer and analyst Mike Renner, who graciously provided me with Taylor’s 2016 in-the-pocket passing statistics.

Yesterday on Twitter, we asked Rumblings readers to take their best guesses at Tyrod’s in-the-pocket passing statistics in the following categories:

Completion %

Yards Per Attempt

TDs / INT

We promised we’d provide Tyrod’s the passing statistics heading into Week 16’s game against the Dolphins. Here they are.

Completions/Attempts: 210/320

Completion %: 65.6

Yards: 2,363

Yards Per Attempt: 7.38

TDs: 12

INTs: 5

QB Rating: 93.5

Drops By Pass-Catchers: 18

Surprised? Yeah, I was too.

To give some perspective on Tyrod’s in-the-pocket figures, here are the quarterbacks and statistics (on all passes) to which he most closely compares.

Completion %: Russell Wilson, 65%. Matthew Stafford, 66.3%

Yards Per Attempt: Stafford, 7.34. Ben Roethlisberger, 7.44.

TD %: Trevor Siemian, 3.8%, Blake Bortles, 3.8%

INT %: Matt Ryan, 1.5%, Matthew Stafford 1.6%

QB Rating: Ryan Tannehill, 93.5

(Counting all 18 drops as catches... Tyrod’s completion percentage jumps to 71.5%. Even if half those drops were receptions, his completion percentage would be 68.1%.)

No one hit the nail directly on its head, but it seems like Mr. John Conti gave the best guess:

As you can probably imagine, the majority of the guesses pegged Tyrod as a much worse quarterback when passing from inside the pocket.

However, the statistics say he’s actually been productive and efficient in the most “traditional” element of playing quarterback during the 2016 season.

More From Buffalo Rumblings

[​IMG]
    Report: Buffalo Bills interview Panthers QB coach Ken Dorsey for OC position

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's the thing: you can't just focus on the QB, as critical as he is, to figure out a plan to get to the SB. We all know that the Jets need to improve the OL, the pass rush, the secondary, and the offense besides the QB - stud RB and/or WR, TE. A lot of people here have proposed their formula for addressing all of this, depending on their pet "critical" needs. But you need to step back and ask: What is the best blueprint for achieving these changes? And in that blueprint you need to take into account the longevity of the players involved. Specifically, you need to understand that the QB is usually the player who lasts the longest (aside from punters and PKs).

https://www.statista.com/statistics...areer-length-in-the-national-football-league/

So with that understanding, it then makes sense to establish your FQB first, and then build the other pieces around him. If you do it any other way, and wait to get your FQB in place after you've "secured" your OL, RB, and defense, by the time you get that QB, your other pieces will begin failing due to age.injury.

It then follows that the Jets need to decide their best avenue for securing that FQB:

1. They already have him in Petty or Hack.
    2. They have identified him as a FA or player they can trade for.
    3. They need to draft him.

I don't believe #1 is true. I also don't believe #2 is true on the basis that no team is going to allow a FQB to leave if they still think he's that level. Or if they do decide that, it would only be due to them believing they have a better option in place AND they would then demand a king's ransom for their now former FQB. That brings me to option #3, and that also brings up several other decisions:

1. Who do they think is the best QB in he draft?
    2. Who do they keep on the roster to hedge against his possible failure?

IMO, the best QB is Watson. Despite his shortcomings - described well in the article posted by RubenDias:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft

he possess the intangibles that all great QBs have, and he's proven to be a winner on big stages under great pressure.

And for who do they keep? I say keep Petty and Hack (for now), and also sign Geno. I might also go with a plan that calls for drafting another QB in a later round as a "sleeper", and let him compete with Petty/Hack/Geno, and keep the three best in addition to Watson.

Well, that's my plan. Sorry for the length.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. thankyourevis

Dude Calm down. Thank you i read, comprehended, and didnt learn much. Yeah i know all the stats.. add them all up and they are less impressive than dum dum dum sam bradford. Now its my turn to be a condescending jerk. Please reread my post think about it and review your thoughts. I said average in my original post for a reason. Pff rated tyrod taylors year as 20th among qbs. I was actualy being generous thats below average. Sam bradford who has way better stats in almost every category than tyrod except rushing is 15th. I wouldnt want either of them maybe you would love both. But I dont particulary think that a below average qb that has failed in buffalo set to make 17 mil dollar a year is the answer here. You are free to stat hump all you want and be conviced otherwise. Stats are what they are. Statistically ryan fitzpatricks year, two years ago, was better than both these guys where did that get us?

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The stats don't lie

He can't be compared to Shitz

We need a hold the fort guy/vet (since we have 2 rookie QBs on roster) NOT a long term answer in TT

If you think you have a better answer why don't you tell us?

17. thankyourevis

Fair enough.. we have a philosophical difference. i dont believe in holding down the fort. We are awful.. its time do rebuild and find (somehow) a qb. All going 7-9 and 8-8 does is cost us spots in the draft. We arent going to win our division or beat tom brady in the playoffs with TT so whats the point. If we sign a guy like TT and he gives us three years at 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 all that does is gives us the illusion that the team is close. In reality with a qb like TT thats as good as it gets. meanwhile all our young guys that are out performing their first contracts will be owed big money and we never get to put a run together cause we have a stop gap qb. I prefer just to deal with our problems now. Not put duck tape on a shitty boat.

Edit.. to be fair to you.. if i was gonna roll the dice and pick a two-three year qb.. i would pick someone with a bigger upside and bigger downside. Id take tony romo.

FJF likes this.
  18. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Fixed your post.

abyzmul likes this.
  19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Hold the fort for what? 8-8 at best?

There is not point to hold a mediocre fort.....let that bitch collapse

Play any option that has a chance of being great or don't play at all

Did we not learn our lesson with Fitzpatrick??

Peebag, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

preach brother preach.

hold the fort, stop gap, bridge qb are all buzz words for "not a starting qb in this league"

King Koopa likes this.