Jets releasing Eric Decker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Garrison Nauman, Jun 6, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It's not that they can't comprehend its that they don't want to because it hurts the narrative.

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Signs with Titans - one year deal.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Solid option for the Titans and Mariota. He's already very good in the RZ, but needs to get much better between the 20s. Decker will help big time

4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Just curious, does anyone know the details of the contract?

5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Good for Deck, and good for fantasy. I hope everyone sleeps on him so I can get him late. He's always undervalued but this year he could be great

Go Jets!

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I couldn't care less how much of a big name player we signed during free agency, because we all know that if the tables were turned? And it were the Jets who were the one's who just signed an A.) 30 year old receiver? B.) A 30 year old player who's coming off of offseason shoulder surgery? C.) One who's also coming off of offseason hip surgery? And last but not least but D.) Coming off of an injured season in which he missed 13 games?

Etc.

And we all know that this fan base would instantly begin to then attack that (front office) Free Agent addition with both of negativity and criticism, while also harping all over that player throughout the entire season; especially come weeks in which he only records 4 catches for 20 yards and 0 TD's etc.

That type of player/signing would become an instant N.Y target (starting) from day one.

But because it's the Tennessee Titans (and not the N.Y Jets) those same types of fans will in return consider this as a "good signing" for Tennessee.

With that said the types of teams in which were looking to sign Eric Decker were the likes of the Minnesota Vikings (8-8), Cleveland Browns (1-15), Buffalo Bills (7-9), Chicago Bears (3-13), L.A Rams (4-12), Philadelphia Eagles (7-9), Carolina Panthers (6-10) along with the team that signed him the Tennessee Titans (9-7).

From all the repoers that I've read on Deckers free agency options i never heard, seen or read about true contenders such as New England, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Green Bay, Atlanta, Seattle or even Tampa Bay or the Giants showing any real interest in that of Eric Decker and if so, where? Because i never seen it.

Good luck to Decker on his 1 year deal with the Titans. I won't lose any sleep over it.

There is now a window of opportunity created for two younger talents in Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson to show their true worth and overall promise as number one and number two WR's at the age of only 24 and 25.

It wasn't long ago where the likes of Keyshawn/Chrebet and/or Coles/Moss were all young in youth as well. Robby & Enunwa have a big opportunity as NY's next duo at WR.

The battle for the #3 & #4 sports should also be pretty fierce and competitive come training camp with ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen & Charone Peak all competing against one another behind our 1's and 2's.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Come on dude. It's totally not the same. The Titans are only a few pieces away from being serious contenders. WR was a weak spot on the team, and the only mediocre spot on the offense. It puts that offense over the top. It makes sense for them. It doesn't make sense for the Jets offense to have him with all the other younger talent, and with how far away the team is from being an elite team. Great signing for them, nobody is bitching, let's be happy for the dude.

8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Wow, Titans offense sure changed around in a year, didn't it?

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I wouldn't really consider Tennessee as team that's being only a few pieces away from a true contender.

Not until they fix & rebuild thier defense at least. Especially their pass defense. Until then they'll continue to be a 9-7, 8-8, 7-9, 10-6 type of treadmill team.

I can't consider that Franchise only a few pieces away from true contenders until they at least gain a little playoff experience they're on an 8 or 9 year postseason drout... and have not won a playoff game in 14 or so years.

I mean even last year their Defense ranked 17th in points allowed, 20th in total defensive yards given up and 30th in passing yards against.

Now I'm not saying they're a bad defense and i know they went CB with their 1st pick but with Decker only being on a 1 year deal who's to say that he'll even be on the team anymore once they're truly able to fix & rebuild their pass defense in a pass happy league?

Who's to even say being a 30 year old receiver who not only missed 13 games but who's also coming off both a hip surgery and a shoulder surgery will even be the same Decker that both Denver & NY received?

I just feel like there are real reasons why the likes of Cleveland, Buffalo, Rams and Tennessee wanted to kick the tires after the Jets released but yet current, proven contenders such as New England, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Green Bay, Atlanta and Seattle all wanted nothing to do with.

One would think. An Eric Decker of his prime years?

Before injury?

Being released for pennies on the dollar?

One of the best # 2 NFL WR's who can work the slots and lineup outside as a damn near #1 WR target?

You mean to tell me the likes of Oakland, GB, Pitt, Dallas, Seattle or especially ATL isn't looking for an offensive stud to put them over the top with NE lurking?

Decker as a released FA was not treated like an "NFL stud" who's on the verge of taking his offense over the top.

I think a lot more true contending teams would have lined up more for Quincy Enunwa as a released FA due to youth, raw talent and overall true potential when compared to the teams who wanted Decker is what I'm saying.

I wish Decker the best but I have my doubts about his future and (imo) 2017 will show that Maccagnan made the absolute right move. I'm confident in that.

10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

That's way too long of a reply Man. Lol. I hope he does well too. But players come back from injury every year and do just fine. It's only a one year deal there, but it's a great fit is it not?

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well thats how life unfolds for an NFL player...Good Luck Mr Decker:)

He got injured helping us win and for that I give him big kudos!!!!!!

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

He'll fit in quite nicely in Tennessee. This is the type of target Mariota needed. I still have my doubts about him after hip & shoulder injuries/surgeries, but the fact that he was on the field competing at full strength in June when people didn't know if he'd be ready for Week 1 just goes to show how tough he is and how much he loves football. I disagree with the release of him more than any other player we released this offseason and I hope he does well in a Titans offense that just keeps getting better. I expect this move to help push them over Houston in 2017. Houston's D can only carry them so far.

13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Good move for both deck and the Titans. They have a house down in Tennessee and given Jessie James' country singing career, being in Tennessee is a major win. Not only that but paired with all the weapons the Titans have and Mariota, I would not be shocked if Titans make the playoffs.

Its weird how things work out though as Decker could have been playing with Mariota on the Jets if we didn't win those meaningless games back when Rex was trying to save his job.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Au contraire, mes amis. It makes perfectly good sense for Decker to have stayed here. Why? For a couple of reasons. One, when you have young QBs, you need to give them reliable targets with which they can feel comfortable and confident. Two, with all the young WRs, and Enunwa not really being that proven, Decker could have been huge in showing those young guys how to be a professional WR, how to get open, how to read Ds, etc.

Now before you offer all the reasons why it didn't make sense, I think I understand and get them all. Yes, having Decker here would have cut into the reps and playing time of the young WRs. Yes, cutting him, gives the Jets more cap room this season and going forward. Yes, the Jets aren't going to the playoffs this season, and on a rebuilding team it usually doesn't make sense to keep older, more expensive players around. Yes, there may have been concerns about Decker's health and his being able to stay healthy this season. Yes, he probably wasn't going to be here next year.

I can understand all those reasons. The problem is that I doubt that any or all of those are the reason why Decker was released. I think it was strictly on Woody's orders to save him a few $s or so that he wouldn't hold any hope for this season. I'm not upset that Decker is gone. It is what it is, but imo to say that it wouldn't have made any sense to keep him around, is flat out wrong.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

The last 2 years they've done an excellent job drafting. They have one of the best lines in the league, 2 stud backs, and now they got receiving options.

Mariota, given his talent should easily take this team to the top of the AFC South this or next season.

sec314 and Red Menace like this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Not really, they have been building the oline through the draft for the past couple of years, signed Demarco Murray who has been very productive for them. It's been a couple of years in the making, kind of what the jets are trying to do now.

101GangGreen101 and RuJFan like this.
  17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

TEN slowly but surely got better and better. Very good OL to protect Mariotta and now super-upgraded WRs.
    Decker is absolutely perfect for them.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

You could argue he has the best supporting cast out of any QB in the NFL, outside of Pittsburgh and Dallas

19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

That's true, but his value increases exponentially for QBs who will have little time in the pocket.
    Behind poor OL like our own Hack/Petty. Or facing stellar defensive front like Marriotta against HOU.

For TEN, Decker is particularly valuable because he will give them edge over divisional opponent, likely their single biggest obstacle on the road to PO.

20. 101GangGreen101

Mariota staying healthy is also key. 2 years with good line should get them far.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.