Jets releasing Eric Decker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Garrison Nauman, Jun 6, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Shefter is now reporting that the Jets are releasing Decker.
    Will be interesting to see where he goes

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This team and especially this piece of shit GM is just hilarious...want to trade somebody, just tell the world you will cut him if you can't.

Burnz, IDFjet and Jets69 like this.
  3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Well, it was bound to happen unless Maclin wound up in Buffalo. There was little or no trade market for a 30 year old WR coming off hip and shoulder injuries. Good luck to Decker -he was a good Jet.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I said this before ---its Hard to trade a guy when you tell the world u are releasing him,,,,ps also hard to trade a guy coming off 2 surgeries

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Exactly--one should try to act in a way that increases the perceived value of an asset.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It would be great if a nice little bidding war developed between the Blackbirds, Iggles, Sixty-Niners and the Jills, but we couldn't be so lucky.

7. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

What??

8. TonyFtLaud

Some recent reports indicate the sticking point with the Decker trade was his salary. The Ravens wanted the Jets to eat a portion of his salary and the Jets refused.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Nothing but the best to you Eric Decker,,,I appreciate your time here and your efforts . I cant see you returning under any circumstances so it would appear my son needs a new jersey.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

stupid maccagnan. he really botched this one. Best of luck to Decker where ever he goes, hopefully not to Buffalo where he would be a great fit opposite Samantha Watkins

FJF likes this.
  11. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Maybe...McCagnan wasn't planning to release him, but dumbass Woody made him do it. Maybe he likes
    Decker, and wants to make it easier for him to get a job, now that it's much later in the preseason and
    teams already have their rosters and plans in place.

Ron

12. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

If that's the case they may as well done it to get something in return. It's not like we don't have the cap space right now.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Or maybe they wanted to wait until he could pass a physical

14. TonyFtLaud

The reason for letting Decker go was to create space. We don't know what the Ravens were offering as compensation but likely a conditional very late pick. It makes little sense to pay for that.

15. NCJetsfan

Sigh. If true, it's a sign, perhaps further evidence that Mac isn't a good dealer/trader. He may have an eye for finding talent in the college ranks, but doesn't know how to handle personnel in the proper manner and doesn't understand realistic trade value. Supposedly, he had a chance to get a 2nd round pick from the Cowpokes last year for Richardson and refused it. Then there was the Fitz contract situation. If Woody didn't order him to sign Fitz, Mac looked like a boob and was used by Fitz and his agents. His handling of Jets' veteran players, particularly Decker. One, he should have tried to trade Decker before word was leaked that the Jets were going to try to trade him or were going to release him. Two, if the above report is true, the Jets should have been willing to eat some of his salary in order to get a draft pick back from the Ravens.

16. NCJetsfan

With three teams interested in Decker, Mac can't manage to get better compensation than a late conditional pick? He couldn't have gotten say a conditional 5th round pick that would escalate to a 4th or a 3rd if Decker stayed healthy, played a certain number of snaps and had a certain number of receptions, yards or TDs? Even if was just a 5th, Mac got Burris in the 4th round, Shell in the 5th round, and Dylan Donohue in the 5th round. Burris could wind up manning the #2 CB position, Shell could be our starting RT, and its very early, but Donohue has looked great so far in OTAs, and the Jets supposedly love him. Even if all 3 players just wind up being solid depth and/or valuable STs players, that still helps the team. If the Jets are truly going to release Decker anyway, why not get a 4th or 5th or even 6th? It would be ammo to help them move up for a player they covet in the draft if nothing else.

#216 NCJetsfan, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    K'OB likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

It wasn't too long ago that Mac was executive of the year for his trade moves and signings. The Jets wanted a second round pick for Richardson ,
    Im not buying the cowboys offered a second round pick. Same with Mo when they were shopping him. Mac's hands were tied with the Fitz deal, you have Marshall,Decker and Mangold skipping OTAs in protest, a coach and owner telling the Media Fitz is our starter when he is not even under contract.
    Decker could not have been traded prior to his physical. Upon passing the physcial on his shoulder and hip, Mac notified Decker they would try to trade him and if not possible, he would be released.
    He handled the Vets fine with one exception, Marshall. He should have been cut as soon as the season ended. Mangold was released. Brick last year was approached to take a pay cut and retired. Decker was notified immediately after his physcial, his wife was tweeting about days before. No surprise. Harris was offered a pay cut , refused and can now pursue a better offer on the team of his choice.
    We all knew Decker was not going to be here. Back in March and April it was clear. He was here until his physical.
    Your vastly over valuing Decker. We got Marshall for a 5th. A healthy Marshall, a true #1 Reciever is better than a #2 at best with serious question marks as far as his health is concerned. Now you have him valued as a 5th rounder to a conditional 3rd possible. It was likely a 7th rounder that was offered, no more than a sixth and who knows how much they wanted mac to pay. Maclin had zero trade value and he is healthy.
    The Ravens had $6,980,277 prior to signing Maclin, he is getting $6 million this year . We would have had to eat most of Decker's salary. That money will come in handy during the next 2 seasons when we are looking to sign FAs.

18. NCJetsfan

I hope you're right with your first couple of paragraphs. As you may know, I've been a big supporter of Mac's, but am starting to lose faith in him. I do disagree with you regarding his handling of the veteran releases. Brick, Mangold and Harris were long-time Jets. They were solid citizens, worked hard, produced and deserved to be shown more respect. I think that in at least two of the situations, Mac didn't even tell the players face to face. They found out from their agents or the media. That's piss poor imo and will make other veteran players think twice about staying with or coming to the Jets, and rightfully so.

The media prints all kinds of crap so there's no telling what the truth is, but I wish that we could know, because it has been fairly widely reported that the Cowpokes offered the Jets a 2nd round pick for Richardson last season. With his off field issues and attitude, even if offered a 3rd round pick, Mac should have taken it and run. I did feel that Mac's hands were tied somewhat with Fitz and may have been ordered by Woody to re-sign him.

I know that Decker could not be traded prior to passing his physical. I think it was wrong to tell him that they were going to try to trade him and if not successful, were going to release him. Don't tell him anything. I'd bet anything that Decker or his agents released that info to the media. Quietly talk to other teams and see if there was any interest in Decker. If so, make the trade. If not, or if a deal couldn't be reached, then call him in and tell him that you're releasing him and then release him that day, not days later. That's BS and shows zero respect to people.

I almost totally disagree with your paragraph following the 2nd quote. I disagree that "we all knew Decker was not going to be here." It was not clear. At that point it appeared that it was going to be business as usual. There was no indication that they were going all in on a complete rebuild/youth movement. Many of us thought he would be here and should be because of how he could help the QB (whoever it was) and help mentor the young WRs. I have no problem with their decision to move on from him, but I and many others thought he would be here.

Now you may be right about Decker's value. I'm shocked that Maclin didn't have any trade value. Either his speed/skills have declined pretty steeply or there's more good young WRs out there than I knew. I also agree that if we were going to have to eat most of Decker's salary and only would get a 7th round pick in return, that it would be better to just release him.

19. Sorry. I don't see any downside w. this other than the fact that Decker is a good dude who deserved better than his injury.

What good is a 30 year old #2 WR on a retooling young team that has at least 4 well regarded WR prospects?

As for letting teams know they were releasing him? It's alittle unconventional but if you're a team who thinks your a vet WR away from contention & don't wanna get into a FA bidding war..would you be willing to diss out a 6th/7th rounder if you're convinced the player is out the door? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

After you and others posting this dozens of times over the last couple of weeks it still hasn't sunk in to some.

TonyFtLaud likes this.