Dante Fowler, Jr traded to Rams

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by macbk, Aug 21, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope that you mean "Fowler" (as in Dante Fowler of the Jags), and not "Flowers" (as in the former Patriot that is now a Detroit Lion). Even so, that's nuts.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

so looks like all the "anit-fowler" peeps were wrong.

Jax never wanted to move him. the jets called and tried to make an offer since they knew he'd be a FA next year and jax doens't have money to resign him. Jax turned it down and still want to try to resign him but likely won't be able to. Jets will go after him hard in FA next year and likely land him since we have a ton of money to spend. Jax gets to use him this year to make a last effort SB push before their team gets ripped apart by the cap the next 2 years. They will get a com pick for him when he walks anyway.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

This is all public knowledge and well stated by you. Well said SGB.

This kid as only a second year player (injured all of his rookie season) just led his defense in fumbles forced, ranked 3rd in team sacks and emerged with 10 sacks (including the postseason) while also rising to the occasion with two sacks of Tom Brady during an AFC Championship Game.

Jacksonville does not want to lose their young stud of a pass rusher and former 3rd overall draft pick but unfortunately for the Jaguars - they are now set for deep salary cap hell and (quite) simply can not...

A.) Afford his 5th year team option of $14.2 million.

And that's due to...

B.) Projected to be ranked 31st in available salary cap space come 2019's offseason

And...

C.) Projected 32nd (dead last) in available salary cap space (lack thereof) come 2020's offseason.

There is a (real) reason despite combining for 153 receptions for 2,283 receiving yards and 20 TD receptions (including a Pro Bowl selection) throughout 2015-2016 on why Jacksonville couldn't renegotiate the contract of a true #1 dominant WR on the outside and former 2nd round pick in All Robinson and (couldn't) keep him long term.

That (real) reason is nothing other than salary cap hell.

Although Jacksonville as a Franchise and as a team coul not afford to keep their very own homegrown talent of a beast WR in Allen Robinson, long term.

However; the Chicago Bears most certainly could (just ask Khalil Mack) and signed Allen Robinson to a 3-year $42 million dollar contract.

Something in which Jacksonville as a team and as a franchise could not afford to do.

And just lost Allen Robinson to free agency with nothing at all in return, all while Chicago gained a #1 WR on the outside, a Pro Bowl payer and 2015's NFL Touchdown Receptions leader.

1.) They could not afford Allen Robinson and lost him to free agency.

2.) Can not afford Dante Fowler Jr's. 5th year $14.2 million dollar cap hit and will soon lose him to Free Agency (as did with Allen Robinson).

3.) After losing both of Robinson and Fowler (many more will then, soon follow).

#323 DefenseWinsChampionships, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I can not wait to see Dante Fowler Jr. rushing opposing QB's come 2019, and in green and white too.

• Lakewood (FL H.S Powerhouse).
    • Florida Gators (Historic program).
    • Jacksonville Jaguars (Great D').

He's been an impact payer on all 3 levels and has "failed" no where he's ever been.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

how can jet fans not love this guy?

Imagine landing fowler and lawerence next offseason to book end at OLB?

6. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Bump
    We need to reach out to jags again for Fowler be for trade deadline. Last game they had another fight in locker room don’t know if Fowler was involved but the the guy who was involved with Fowler was so maybe there ready to trade Fowler now.

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If he's available for a third round pick then yes....but the Jags will hold out for more. I think the chances are much better of the Jets signing him in the offseason......

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t know why everyone is so hot to give up picks this year. We’re not winning anything this year, save the picks and go out and get him for free during FA.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Seriously this. Flowler is a good player, but about to make a lot of money. If he was a Jets draft pick this site would be up in arms about his sack numbers and calling him a bust. I'm not moving a day two pick and giving up a big contract to this guy. Go after him in FA but we need to keep our picks and start building.

10. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I get this sentiment, but if we trade one of our 3rd rounders, and guarantee that we get Fowler and extend him, its netter than anyone we would draft with that 3rd round pick

Why chance waiting for FA?

but, yea, no more than a 3rd

Mr mittens and Jersey Joe 67 like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This, exactly. I wouldn't give up more than a third, but if you can get a proven NFL commodity for a third round pick, you do it in a heartbeat and don't look back. He's struggling a little bit this year and he's due for a contract, you can honestly probably get him for closer to a 4th or 5th.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Fools...you are focused in on Defense for a change???

We have a FQB now...FINALLY

Build a good OL around him shore up your WR corp take the LEAD in every game by scoring tons of points...REST your defense..buy your pass rusher in FA

But for goodness sakes SAVE those picks!

13. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

We aren't saying ignore the offense, but we also haven't had an actual pass rusher since Abraham (?) so that is also a position of need.

If we traded for Fowler, then we can focus completely on offense when FA begins

Mr mittens likes this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We need all the picks we can get, in fact I would trade anyone not part of the future for as many picks as we can get. We don’t know if he’s better than any 3rd rd pick, maybe we can find our future center that can actually snap the ball with the 3rd rd pick, who knows.

I just don’t understand why there’s so many trade for this guy posts. Fowler is not good enough to give up a pick for when he’ll be a FA this offseason.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

He's an asshole waiting to get paid and become Wilk 2.0.

But yeah, let's throw draft capital at him.

16. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

He is a hot and cold player. I am not to excited.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I am deadset against trading for Fowler, not only for the reasons that Rollo Tomassi gives, but because I don't see the point. As banged up as the Jets are, they're not going to the playoffs, and even if by some miracle, they did make them, they'd get blown out in the first round. Why trade a draft pick to win another game or two, when that could wind up costing us the LT in the 1st round we need to protect Sam, and players we want/need in the 3rd round? I also don't want anything to artificially inflate the Jets' W-L record in terms of Bowles remaining as HC and Rodgers as DC. I think they both need to go, and winning more games would most likely prevent that.

In addition, there could be several edge rusher options in FA beside Fowler.

Draft picks are like gold. They are the most valuable chips the Jets have in trying to improve their team. I get that Mac's drafting has been spotty, and the enticement for trading for a proven player over an unknown, but the thing that some of you seem to forget is that trades don't always work out, either. Some players don't fit in the scheme or locker room of their new teams and they aren't as effective with their new team as they were with their old team. The established players also command bigger contracts and take up more of the cap space in addition to the draft pick or picks needed to secure them. If we're going to have to pay a player a lot of money, it should be as a FA, and no draft picks be involved unless we drafted him and he has proven himself as a Jet.

Trading for proven players is the most costly way to improve the team. If that's the only way that Mac can improve the team, then he needs to go. He needs to show this offseason that he can have a very good draft, with at least 3-4 players from it being able to immediately help the team next season and properly use all that cap space to fix some of the holes and depth issues on our team. If he can't do that, then he doesn't deserve to stay.

Finally, some posters have learned nothing from history. I'm not interested in seeing history repeat itself because some posters are ignorant of history. Tanny treated our draft picks as if they were practically worthless and traded away a lot of them. As a result, the roster had holes all over it and little or no depth. Dan Snyder tried that approach in Washington. No thanks. If anything, we need MORE draft picks, not less.

#337 NCJetsfan, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  18. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Brilliantly written good sir! Real teams that win (Pitt/Bal/GB) build through the draft and use FA to add a piece or 2 here or there..Aldo, bell aside, they never seem to lose a guy they want to keep.

Bottom feeders (skins/dallas) do the reverse..

Of course the one catch is you need to draft well

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Isn't Clowney a Free Agent as well? I would have no problem shelling out big money for him and going mostly offense in the draft.

FJF likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I have it opposite..we focus on OFFENSE FIRST..all the Jets, this GM and HC do is build our D ..draft after draft FA after FA..add up who we have acquired over the last 3 years and its an exercise in padding TB's resume in resupplying his dopey D...Trumain the waste Johnson is just a recent example

Where are the studs for the OL? Where did our WRs go? (Something you might ask yourself)

You trade by giving up picks..thats my point..plus what picks we have should go to the O imo...

You dont want to wait to see who is out there in free agency...I get it