Jets off season rebuilding plan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 6, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

No , no, no.
    Sheldon for a 3 Rd no McCarron.
    Or Sheldon for a 4th and Mccarrons G.F.
    Mccarron is not the guy. If he were, or if he appeared to potentially be, Cincinnati would be looking to lock him up for the near future not trade him for a problem like Sheldon.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Hello! And, yeah it sucks.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Tony, before you call Jets fans "the most impatient fan base of any professional franchise", let's get some perspective:

There are life long Jets fans who are in their 40s who weren't even born the last time the Jets won a championship.

Think about that.

I've rooted for them since they were the NY Titans, so if my patience level isn't what you think is "acceptable", so be it. I'm okay with them doing a total rebuild, but when I hear rumors of signing retreads like Cutler, Romo, or mediocre-at-best QBs like Taylor, that pisses me off. If they sign young guys and have a coherent plan that leads to the SB in 3 years or so, great, I'm on board, but so far I don't see a coherent plan, and they're sticking with a HC who hasn't shown that he's "ready for prime time". I'm one awful signing - Cutler - from finally saying goodbye to this Titanic of a franchise.

Red Menace and TonyFtLaud like this.
  4. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Not sure the love around McCarron. He is a game manager, thats about it. I understand we need to get rid of Sheldon, but I rather a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. Get one of the Vet QBs available to compete and let the rebuild take care of itself.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a big difference between the 2015 overachievers and the 2016 underachievers.

There were a year older and many of them were already getting close to the point at which skills decline sharply. Some of the guys who seemed to have another year in them from an aging perspective, like Clady and Decker, got hurt - which is another effect of aging, older players tend to be more brittle.

A coach only looks as smart as the quality of his player's play on the field and the 2016 Jets had too many decliners and injury cases to look decent on the field last year. Bowles is not a topflight tactician like Belichik. However even Belichik would have struggled with the talent levels available to Bowles last year. It was a collapse season based on Father Time laughing at the Jets plans. You can't judge a coach based on that unless he is also the guy who engineered the talent base that collapsed. I'm guessing that engineer resided further up the food chain in the Jet's organization.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

As far as QBs go signing Jay Cutler or dropping money on a starter would only delay the maturation process for our young guys. But hey the coaches know more than I do about Petty and Hack and maybe it's time to move on. I say use Richardson to trade for a player like Chase Daniel, Brock Osweiler (on a MUCH cheaper deal) AJ McCarron, or Trevor Simion. Some one who is cheap young and can compete along with our younger guys and push them along. May the best man win. If the Jets see a slam dunk in the draft then you can go that route too.

7. ColoradoContrails

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm judging Bowles on his mismanagement of the players he had. He didn't impose sufficient discipline - waiting until he had players openly thumbing their nose at him before he sat them at all, and then only briefly. He allowed Fitz to not only stay in a game after throwing 6 picks! but then played him after that! His game/clock management was terrible. He seemed completely out of touch with what was going on on the field - he allowed Gailey to use game plans and call plays that were terrible. IMO he should've been fired before the end of the season, and most certainly after the last game. I don't blame old age and injuries on him, but I DO blame him for the other issues.

Red Menace, NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

I'm one of those long suffering fans myself. Well over 40 years. I was only 16 months old when we won the Superbowl so I can't say I remember it sadly.
    I get the suffering. I have been a part of it as was my father and now my children. The thing that I find so fustration is the fan base demanding the and player acquisitions you are saying you would despise I fully agree. It's fustration as hell to see the organization make the same mistakes over and over, but hearing the fans demanding the mistakes be made is even more fustrating.
    And we both know your not going anywhere, even if they sign Cutler or any other has been, never was, QB. Same as me you will be back for more pain. It's too late for us my friend. We are Jets fans and can't be cured.

9. Br4d

In order:

The players misbehaving were the best players on the team, Richardson, Marshall and Wilkerson. It's hard to sit your best players until they create an unavoidable distraction. Bowles finally did sit both Richardson and Wilkerson for a quarter later in the season after they repeatedly broke teams rules regarding lateness and missed meetings. It's just not clear that he could have tken a hardline with these guys earlier and gotten anything productive out of it.

His steadfastness with Fitz had an obvious component to it: none of the other guys were ready to play. He was still trying to win games and when the young guys aren't ready you stay with the vet. Most coaches would have done the same thing.

On the offense - he let Gailey run it. If you're a defensive head coach with a well known OC that's what you do.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I watched SB III and now I am in the retirement years....Ive been a Darksider ..then a Lightshiner when I thought "yeah here comes the answer"...and it wasn't

Remember Blitz yours is not the only soul tortured here

Being a Jet fan is kinda like the Book of Job...He Giveth... He Taketh

Back and forth we are tested

But don't forget

"Winners never quit . and Quitters never win"

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

1. A good coach WOULD HAVE most certainly benched those players, regardless of how good they are. Allowing them to get special treatment spreads poison and undermines your authority. If you can't control your players, you're not going to have a winning team anyway.

2. At a minimum, he should've started Petty, even if he wasn't "ready". How much more "ready" was he a few games later and he started him then. Given how Fitz had already shown how poorly he was playing Bowles should've known the playoffs were out of reach anyway, so start Petty. If Petty really was worse than Fitz - hard to imagine - he could've then gone back to Fitz if need be. Again, this is a sign Bowles doesn't know how to manage his players.

3. Yes, you have an OC to take the lead on running your offense, but for crying out loud, you don't wash your hands of it! He should've been in Gailey's face and urging him to make changes because what they were trying was clearly not working. And just because his "specialty" is "D", he did agree to become HEAD Coach, right, which means he takes responsibility for ALL facets. And how much of an offensive genius does it take to recognize that a TE is actually allowed to be used as a receiver?

Sorry Br4d, we often agree, but you will not convince me that Bowles should still be the HC of this team. For now, the decision has been made, and firing him now is pointless. But I would have him on a the shortest string possible this season, and if he shows the same issues I would fire him before the season is over.

Red Menace and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

HAHAHA

Tony! your kids should be out there on the Beach...NOT watching the Jets

Tony>>>>>>>Gets a Mulligan

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

My oldest is actually living back in NY and my youngest will be off to college in June. But I should be out on the beach watching the bikinis instead of the Jets.

westiedog1, NoodleArm and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is a cop out no one factors injuries and who might be there at the end. Stuff happens and it's up to the coach to coach with what he is dealt. Belichik was on the right course in Cleveland. He had an amazing staff and potential HOF GM working in the scouting department. So unless we magically get a fortune teller hindsight and projections are out the door. I just don't see Bowles on that same level as Belichoik in Cleveland in the late 90's. Bob Craft evidently did gave him the whole show to run and look at the results. It also helps when a 6th round pick becomes your franchise QB. So some luck is always involved.

15. Br4d

Clady and Decker were both very fragile going into the season. Mangold had gone from ironman to hobbled at various points in both of the preceding seasons. That's 3 huge pieces of the Jets puzzle last year. Giacomini took 7 games to get on the field and the Jets played multiple inexperienced players at RT because of his dropout. The progression went Ijalana, Qvale, Giacomini and then finally Shell at the end.

Yes, you expect injuries but when the injuries are almost pre-planned and are some of your best players in a cluster on one side of the ball - well it's really not a copout to suggest the Jets season was likely to go under no matter who was coaching them in 2016.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Beki

Beki Active Member

I really hope Macc has any plan to improve our CB position, because we cannot be positive what we have now:

CORNERBACKS
    Starters: Buster Skrine, Juston Burris, Marcus Williams
    Position Grade: F
    Notable Backups: Darryl Roberts, Bryson Keeton

Analysis:
    The Jets' secondary was terrible last year, and they haven't done anything to address it in free agency. Crazy thing? Maccagnan hasn't even made a run at any of the top cornerbacks on the market. This makes me think the Jets are targeting one in the NFL Draft. As things stand now, this unit is one of the worst in the NFL.

I know that this CB class is deep, but even if we could get a CB1 on the draft, our sec will get the passing yards.

Jets69 likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Belichik lost Brady for 4 games due to suspension. They went 3-1 with two back up QB. It might have been his best coaching job ever. Its about the coaching and we don't have one. You can have every great player along both side of the ball and Montana, Favre, Bart Starr behind center and Bowles would mess it up. You have to put in the effort and more importantly know your teams capabilities. He coached last year like he was on heroin. The Indy game stands out in my mind as the boiling point. You had ateam unprepared, you have receivers running free in the secondary with not one Jets defender close.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

added in corderlle patterson as a potential target.
    while he hasn't been very good at playing WR, he could be cheap and is one of the best KR in the NFL. and our special teams needs a big boost. His return skills could help our offense score points

boozer32 likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member