Jets off season rebuilding plan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 6, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The offseason officially starts in a few days. Here are some moves I think would greatly improve our team.
    Now that we have some cap space to work with, we need to bring in some talent.

1) Sign Glennon. He's going to be a hot commodity but not too hot. Bucs offered him a deal to be the highest paid backup and he declined. He wants to start. By bringing in glennon we get a veteran QB with experience who could start for us. he can battle with hackenburg and petty stays on as the #3 QB
    EDIT: So report is jets have no interest in glennon, he will sign with chicago for 15mil/yr 1st day of free agency. cousins is going to the niners. romo likely to the broncos. that leaves cutler pretty much only so with that said i say we bring in a vet backup like mckown and let him, hack, and petty compete.
    EDIT: we signed mcknown. this is complete

2) Sign a CB. We need help at CB pretty badly. we can draft one as well but we need something more immediate. One guy could be AJ Bouye. he's young and not looking to break the bank. He's only 25 and coming off a great season with houston. gilmore, johnson, and ryana re a few other options or taking a flyer on Prince.
    EDIT: we signed claymore, this is complete

3) Draft Fournette. Our offense is going to need to run the ball effectively. we don't have a power back on the roster. He's an adrian peterson type back who can take pressure off the QB and make teams load up the box.

4) Take a flyer on josh gordon. Yes he may get suspended again, because he's an ass. but he would be cheap and worth a chance. he would start with decker and enunwa and anderson would be our 3rd and 4th. Decker can play inside and outside as can enuunwa so they can shift inside and let gordon and anderson play outside in 4WR sets. peake and jalin give us nice depth as well

5) Draft DB and o-line. after we grab fournette, we need to load up on DBs and o-line in the draft. O-line is in full rebuild mode. both tackles and C are all pretty much new starters. were only OK at the guard position.
    EDIT: signed a LT Beachum

6) Trade richardson for a pick. we should be able to get a 2nd rounder at worst and save 8 mil in cap room. we have williams and wilkerson already so we are good at DE. We can lock up williams long term next offseason.

EDIT: new targets
    7) Corderelle Patterson - while he has been piss poor at WR and not worth the 1st round pick where he war drafted, he is one of the best KRs in the NFL. an area the jets need a big boost in
    EDIT: signed by oakland

8) Jaruis Byrd - once was a top FS in the NFL, signed a big deal with NO and was an injury bust. might be worth a flyer cheap to improve the secondary. when healthy he is one of the best ball hawks in the NFL

#1 GasedAndConfused, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Typical Jets to pay a back up franchise QB money, let some other team be this years Texans.

I would definitely try to sign Bouye, young and on the rise. I think he will break the bank but he'd be the one big signing I'd make this year.

Hate the idea of drafting Fournette and Gordon would have disaster written all over it if he came to NY.

Pretty sure Sheldon would've already been traded if anyone was offering a 2nd. I think best case scenario is we get a 3rd but I think a 4th would be more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Mike Glennon for $14m?! Fuck that. I'd rather give Hack and Petty reps in 2017 and if they are as bad as we think they are we'll have a top 3 pick in 2018.

boozer32, Jets_Grinch, Cman68 and 6 others like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

LOL Fournette.

The fuck world do you live in?

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

1. QB situation. We need to sign someone to hold the fort. Glennon at the right price is a great option. I think the Bears will offer him more and he'll go there. Option two is Taylor. Be interested to see how that plays out. Have a feeling he'll be released but everyone is lonking him to Cleveland. At the right price I'd take him and I think he's a better option than Glennon. I fear we will lose out on both of these qbs. I see the Jets resigning Geno or Hoyer or someone in that mold. Starting experience. Not great but good enough to start and beat out the stiffs we have. Other options but probably unlikely a trade for Chase Daniel, trade for McCarron or we pick up Alex Smith if Romo goes to KC.

2. Don't disagree with you on this. Sign one of the young corners on the market.

3. Fournette seems to be a special player and one the Jets could use and are desperate for. One he scares me. I just don't trust running backs and feel we can get someone in the later rounds that can help us.

4. Love the idea of Gordon but with the rebuild and all the Jets want the young guys to play and see what they have. Don't think they want the distraction of Gordon in that room with these youngs players.

5. Agree with you on drafting corners and o-linemen in the draft. We need them.

6. I'd love to trade Richardson for a 2nd. Not going to happen though. The Jets should take a third if they are lucky and be happy.

7. Sign Tony Jefferson trade Pryor same as Richardson. Worth more but probably be happy with a 4th for him.

8. Sign Minter LB from Arizona. I love Harris but it's time to get younger and faster. Minter will provide that. Plus he knows Bowles system so he could call it. Hate to see Harris go especially this way but it might be the best option.

9. Have an awful 2017. Don't overspend in free agency and get Darnold or Rosen in 2018.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hey Solid got some answers for you point by point

#1 I say no...Management prob say no too

#2 CB young and cheap yes...FO prob yes too

#3LF : No where to be found at 6th spot...Mac says NO to trade up

#4 Doubtful...Managmt problem with a problem

#5 I say yes...Front office well aware

#6 I say make it happen ...Mac gets us a 4th rounder for him (Thanks $heldon)

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Forget Fournette. OJ Howard is where its at.

KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I can't wrap my head around bringing in Glennon when we just drafted hackenberg in the first. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't hate it at all...

But...

We redshirted hack last year. We're in a full rebuild year one and drafted a qb in round 2 last year. If we aren't going to see what we have in hack next year, when the hell are we?

9. GasedAndConfused

depends if the price is right. right now he was offered about 8 mil to be a backup. if we could sign him to a 12 mil a year short term prove it deal he may be interested. he wants to start. no way can he get 18 mil a year on the open market. I don't think he'll cost more then 12 mil but maybe we can land him even cheaper around 10 mil. If not we can run with hack or petty. I don't think we throw the bank at him, I think he is someone we look into. taylor is going to celevland, romo will likely wind up in denver. chicago is gonna draft trib, that leaves us with guys like glennon or cutler. I'd rather have glennon personally. of course the other option is hack, but we still need to add a cheap vet backup.

10. GasedAndConfused

BPA draft and a guy who can help a young QB develop. I don't see whats wrong with it. How many people here wanted reggie bush or vince young when we took brick instead. Brick turned out the best out of them by far, but just because you think it's crazy doesn't mean it's wrong.

The only argument against fournette is he's a RB and we have bigger needs. Reaching for players of need is why we get screwed in the draft all the time. Sit back and take BPA it works out more often then reaching for a need.

11. GasedAndConfused

1) it's just a thought. guarantee we sign a QB this offseason. even if it's a vet like mckown. glennon at the right price could be a good option. But if he's gonna cost too much I'm ok passing on him as well.

3) He will be there. the top 5 is projected to be 4 DEs and a QB. I don't think that he goes before us. He will likely be BPA, if he is do you say take him or pass and reach for a need?

6) I'm hoping we get more then a 4th. that would be a disaster. Maybe a 3rd and a 6th? a 4th seems low but it's obvious he needs to go.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

The Jets have shown the pattern that gets us no where they buy a QB, vet a stop gap, and give no experience to the young QBs. if the OL could get them killed just fix it FIRST

Sorry I am being consistent here and pass on Fournette the Beast. Pretty good player but the Jets just have TOO MANY other holes Hope we get that trade down and another team grabs him...otherwise I am also pushing for offense so of course take him later or another RB

I am puzzled that top 5 are DE s and I am not in love with any of this years QBs That said you should still draft a QB every year. I have also given up on the BPA philosophy so if you are really set at WR or DL (like the Jets) I am not grabbing the BPA at that position if he comes along...I am drafting based on team need but avoiding reaching for a player

Sheldon is just your typical POS player who is given a golden opportunity to play in the NFL and decides to become a lunatic driver with a kid in the car..real smart. He screwed the Jets with his attitude and now his talent only will get us lesser round picks Oh well better than nothing.....I have debated with NC that most players are just a step away from jail given all the domestic violence criminal activity and felonies many are involved in lol just look at Mevi$.... Was it always this bad? Covered up ? I say no..

Today we throw millions at "student athletes" who have a joke of a degree and come very bad or disadvantaged backgrounds They end up making TERRIBLE role models . They should get meds and therapy FIRST imo Not trying to sound elitist and I love football but SMH

jmho

question: If Bowles is fired are you changing the name ??/hehehehe

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

#1-#4 No.
    #5-#6 Yes.

14. NYJetsO12

That's because our GM and HC continue to put the Cart before the Horse and if this is a pattern I want them both gone

15. GasedAndConfused

I'll have to wait for a pun of the new coach before changing ;)
    i do agree with what you said. a better franchise would have a pattern. look how the pats benefited from drafting brady when they had bledsoe, and then mallet, garappoloo, cassel etc when they had brady. The pats do everything right.

It is crazy how basically the top 4 players in the draft are d-line

as far as players being dumb, you can't help it. we were all that age at once and did dumb stuff. On top of being immature like pretty much every 20-24 year old is, they are rich and feel untouchable. some of them grow up, some don't. thats why you need stand up vets to help the young players adjust and not be dumb.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

1. From all the rumors and things I've seen it does not look like we will get Glennon (Chicago) or Taylor (Browns). It would've been nice to have one or the other but that is ok. Of the rest of the free agent qbs the one with the most upside I think is Foles followed by Hoyer. For the right amount I'd sign either and let the three we have compete to see who the starter should be. I think Foles or Hoyer would win. Maybe and this is a huge maybe. If we trade the number 6 and drop down in the draft and get more picks I would consider drafting Watson or Trubilsky in the middle of the first round. Not sure they'd make it that far with Buffalo and Arizona willing to pick one of them up if they fall. I thin Mac and Bowles know they need a qb but don't want to overspend in free agency and are not in love with the qb options in the draft. Mac is ok with that since he will probably survive this year. Bowles will not be.

2. I think Mac and Bowles really want to remake the secondary. I think when all is said and done Jefferson and Bouye will be Jets. I think the Jets will look to trade Pryor for a 4th, cut Gilchrest and fill the free safety position with another cheaper free agent, from someone within or through the draft. Bouye will be one starting corner and between Williams, Burris and a draft pick the Jets will find the second.

3. I think the Jets will try to resign Ilajana as depth and see if they can get Okung, Reilly Reif, or someone else with left tackle experience on a short term contract so they can draft someone to take over that position in a year or two.

4. I think the Jets will make a push for Jack Doyle but I wonder if he wants to play for a team with a known qb. They'll definitely sign a te and fb. I think they'll try to sign a top guy or two but have a dollar amount they won't go over for the position.

5. I think the Jets will be busy next week in free agency. Once the market settles after the weekend I can see the Jets sign a number of players in age from 26-28 on prove it contracts and see if they can catch lightning in a bottle with a few.

6. I think in the draft they will look to draft best available. If in round one two or three guys they have circled they will look to trade down. They'll look to draft a cb, lt, rb, te, and wr.

Are there any other names linked to us or names to watch on the free agent market we are not hearing about.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Aside from QB, what's a bigger need than giving our inexperienced/mediocre QBs some weapons to take the pressure off?

GasedAndConfused and westiedog1 like this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Drafting BPA vs Need. I don't think you can say one is the way to go over the other. It depends on the circumstances. Two years ago when the Jets took Williams, he was clearly the BPA by a long shot so it was the right move for the Jets to take him. However, if BPA and Need are closely aligned, then taking a player based on need is not a bad strategy. If by some magic, Miles Garrett should fall to the Jets, I think it would be a good selection even though the Jets have a strong D-line, on the other hand, I'm not sure if any of the other so called PR's in this draft are significantly better than a need player available at #6.

Boomboom likes this.
  19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If Garrett made it to the Jets then you take him without hesitation and the league should be ashamed of itself. It simply won't happen.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed. Garrett won't fall to the Jets at #6. Normally, I would say I'd be shocked if he fell past Cleveland, but we ARE talking about Cleveland. Even so, he won't get to the Jets, but if he did it would be obvious that he would have be taken, even if they had to revise their entire DL to play him.