Jets need to hire this guy ASAP

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 17, 2018.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Maybe someone will find a link saying that, but it sure wasn't what he was claiming immediately after the game. I saw his press conference, and he repeatedly shrugged his shoulders when reporters asked why they didn't run a sneak, said "That's what I would have liked," and also said "We've never run a lot of quarterback sneaks here in Pittsburgh." In fact, my immediate reaction was exactly what you said (in an opposite kind of way) - I said "Why the hell didn't you just ignore the idiotic wide pitch call and sneak it with an audible?". You're a future Hall of Famer who has won two Super Bowls - you can do whatever the hell you want and no one is going to say a thing. And once the play was blown up the first time, how could you not at least run the sneak the second time?

If Haley called those plays (which I assume he did) that's a big black mark against him, but they don't make Roethlisberger look good either.

Edit: here it is, starting at 0:54:

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

You can be a tyrant and succeed if you have one of two things. Either great charisma, aka Parcells, or years of coaching experience that earns you respect aka Belicheck and Coughlin. What sinks a lot if young coaches like Mangini, McDanieks, Haley, etc is they try to earn respect through fear and players laugh at them. Being a tyrant can work but only for in limited circumstances.

Red Menace and BacktoQueens like this.
  3. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Guy seems to get in a bar room brawl once every few year and people also seem to get sick of him...might as well hire Rex as DC and bring the circus back to town.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If its true the Jets dumped Morton over clashes during the season, I don't see how hiring a guy known for clashes makes any sense at all.

TwoHeadedMonster and TonyFtLaud like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

#25 TonyFtLaud, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Todd and Todd worked together in Dallas with Parcells, I’m guessing they know what’s what about each other and if it can work.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

If the results are winning I could careless how he interacts with others. Parcells was the most abrasive coach around and wanted to win. Now we have someone who is just a moron but he's very nice and the players like him. I'll take the Parcells type all the time.

nicg4360 and Brook! like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It takes a very talented person to be an A*& and for it to work for them. Parcell's was extremely charismatic. He had the ability to treat people poorly and make them like it. It is a very rare talent and it does not work for most people. That being said it is much less essential for a coordinator to be liked than a head coach especially when he has the head coach backing him up.

In regards to winning vs treating people with respect. I would rather have both and would argue that you get a lot more out of people by treating them with respect than making them fear you. Doing a Mangini, Schiano, etc and treating people badly is an attempt at a shortcut to success that almost always ends in disaster. I would much rather lose than win by cheating or treating others badly. Life, happiness and success, at least for me, is a product of how you treat others not the end result.

#28 Noam, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Very true. QBs like ben have free reign to make changes at the line. I'm pretty sure peyton manning pretty much called 890% of the pays in indy his career there.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I wouldn't be upset if we had Todd Haley on board as the OC. But as long as Bates signs off. I really don't want Bates to be in a situation where he is unhappy here

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Roethlisberger is a BITCH. Passing the blame really? A real leader doesn't respond like that. And of course as you mention- he's Ben Friggin' Roethlisberger, if he wants a QB sneak he can call it himself. 15 years in the league and Roethisberger's still the same scumbag he was when he entered the league

Peebag likes this.
  12. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I would be all for bringing Todd Haley in. He would probably be the best offensive mike we’ve had here since Bruce Coslet. BUT i get the feeling we’re waiting on the guy from Philadelphia.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Haley is the WORST possible option for this team.

I don't want him anywhere near the building.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.