Jets need to hire this guy ASAP

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 17, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descript...rt-ways-with-offensive-coordinator-Todd-Haley

Todd Haley is out as offensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The team does not plan to give Haley a new contract, a source told ESPN. His deal was up after this season.

Quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner, who has worked closely with Ben Roethlisberger for much of the quarterback's career, is expected to get promoted to offensive coordinator, according to ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen.

Haley had a successful six-year run with Pittsburgh, helping the Steelers post top-10 scoring offenses in each of the past four years, the franchise's longest such streak since the 1970s.

Under Haley, Roethlisberger put up career numbers and Antonio Brown posted five straight 100-catch seasons. Haley also played a role in the draft evaluations of successful receivers JuJu Smith-Schuster and Martavis Bryant.

But discord between Haley and Roethlisberger appeared strong. Reports from CBS and NFL Network highlighted growing tension behind the scenes, and the lack of cohesion bubbled above the surface following their 27-24 loss to the New England Patriots in Week 15, when the Steelers struggled to execute deep in Patriots territory the final seconds.

I know we have an OC but maybe offer a different position like assistant head coach and he can help the offense and help develop QBs. Bowles could use a guy like haley on his staff

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Haley would be a major addition to this staff. Jets need to pony up and get him.

3. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

You think Haley isn't going somewhere to be a head coach??

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Not following Steelers very closely. But Steelers put up 42 points on Jags. One thinks that losing that game wasn't on Haley. If there were some personality clashes then I would understand.

5. GasedAndConfused

the clashes happened after the loss to NE. I'm not suprised i watched that game and was pissed. Pitt went into full protect mode and basically tried to run the clock for 3 quarters after taking an early lead instead of attacking their defense which was working fine. of course as expected they blew the lead and brady led the comeback. they only threw 30 times that game. ben averages like 40 a game

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I've thought about this guy as a hire and thought he might get another shot at a HC job. I've gotten the sense there have been personality clashes with him before and wonder whether or not it's a big deal.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Replace Bowles with him ...why not?

boozer32 and 6-10 once again like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There is a reason why Haley got run out of KC and now Pitt and it's because he does not work, play or get along with other people. Otherwise known as the Mangini disease. We have a team with good chemistry that plays hard and beyond its ability. The last thing we need is another Belicheck disciple control freak with a huge ego that will create a toxic work enviorment.

almbleamal and BacktoQueens like this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Is he bringing Ben, Bell & Brown with him? Coaching has been the reason the Steelers haven’t won multiple bowls and he has been a part of that.

Doesn’t seem like he has learned anything from his 1st experience as HC and his players still hate him.

Sure won’t help him getting injured in a bar fight days before the playoffs begin.

almbleamal, TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

I get what you are saying ..but do you have a link for that?

He lasted in Pittsburgh 6 years so how bad can he be?

If you have bought into the reasoning that "chemistry is more important than wins" then I just feel sorry for you

Billy Martin vs Reggie Jackson =The World Series

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Is big Ben coming with him? Then forget about it.

12. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Is he the guy that had Rothlisberger throwing on 4th and 1?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

rememebr when ben passed on 4th and 2 to seal the game against us in the playoffs? or last week on 4th and long twice he hit 40+ yard TDs? it's ben. If he was my QB i'd put the ball in his hands every time on 4th down regardless the distance

14. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Ben audibled into a pass play.

15. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Bowles won’t hire his potential replacement.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  16. ColoradoJets

ColoradoJets Member

And the guy who has a giant QB pitch it 7 yards backward on 4th and inches when the QB can just fall forward a foot. Of course, the Jets will hire him.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No link but he had lots of Mangini like problems in KC. But in his defense KC was a crazy place with Pioli. Haley accused Piloi of bugging his office and there were lots of really crazy stories about some of the things Pioli did there. The one that comes to mind is Pioli firing an office staff woman for calling him Pioli rather than Mr. Pioli when speaking about him to co-workers.

Therw have bern reports for years about Haley having problems in Pitt getting along and just being not likeable like in KC. But what appears to have run him out is not getting along with Ben. Which really said a lot as their offense and Ben really exploded under Haley. Will be interesting to see what happens once he us gone.

My point in regards to tyrant non-likeable coaches like Mangini, Haley, Groh, etc is that earning respect by putting people in fear is a short term fix at best. When things go bad they will get very bad. Coaches like that will always have short stays.

18. NYJetsO12

You won't like my answer but as a long suffering fan watching prima Donna million dollar players and Coaches do their thing I couldn't care less about their gifted lives being affected by a "tyrant" ..Was Parcells a tyrant ? Coughlin? PS All they did was produce a winning product not the 5-11 garbage we have now

If I am a million dollar player in the NFL I guess that's a problem...you don't like your Coach? Ask to be traded ! Or go for some job therapy ....frankly all I care is the Jets winning and winning a Super Bowl

19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Isn't he a Parcells disciple control freak?

Anyway, I'm on board. We've been through two nice guy coaches. I'd also love to see an offensive minded hc. Fire Bowles, bring in Haley. At the very least make him OC and promise him the job when/if Bowles stinks next year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm not claiming to know inner workings of NFL qualifications but from my casual fan perspective Todd Haley has always seemed to be a very effective offensive guy. I'd be very interested in the Jets giving him some kind of job if he's willing to consider it.

I also hate to say it but I'm not so sure he's not a better head coach than Bowles is for that matter. If he's willing to be 2nd or 3rd fiddle here he might be able to give Bowles some assistance on that front as well.