JET'S MOCK..............w/12 picks

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by WW85, Feb 21, 2006.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Here's my current Jet's Mock Draft. Jets have 13 picks (My Bad 12 in Title, forgot Mcgraw's trade)

IMO, these 2 trades are very strong possibilities and not pie-in-the-sky.

Jets' trade their #4 pick for Detroit's # 9 in rd 1..Jets' receive Detroit's 2nd rd pick. Detroit has options at #4 Cutler, Hawk & Mario Williams.

Jets' Tag Abe and trade him (Just before the Draft) for Cleveland's 2nd rd pick. The Jet's don't have much leveage, since Teams know we need to dump ABe..a High 2nd rd pick is decent. Romeo would love having Abe. I didn't draft a DE early, but the Jets' defense has been good even without Abe in the line-up.

Jets receive 2 comp picks.......4th and 5th rds. With the gains and losses in FA, I'm guessing 2 comp picks.

MY IDEAL JET MOCK for Late FEB.

Rd 1 #9.......DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis.....We grab Williams at #9 just before Arizona. Trading down 5 spots and getting a 2nd rd pick + a player we covet is a no brainer.

Rd 2a..........Antonio Cromartie CB Fla St.......I really wanted Mangold in this spot, but assume he would be gone. Antonie is only a Junior and has had a major injury. Has the size (6'3") and speed to be a bigtime player. If he didn't declare, could have been a top 5 pick in 2007. Could be a major Steal. No Law and Barrett's inconsistent play, make this pick a definite need.

Rd 2B (Det)...Brodie Croyle QB Bama..........Jet's need to grab a QB. Enough has been said about Brodie, no need to eloborate.I still expect the Jets' to sign a FA QB too.

Rd 2c (Cleve)..Ryan O'Callagan OT Cal............Our Starting RT opening day. Solid player, very good run-blocker. Steady player he will be a a fixtue on the Jet's line for many years. Bye-bye Jason Fabini.

Rd 3 Charles Spencer OG Pitt......Big guard who is improving. Slipped to Jets' in early rd 3, I projected Charles to be a mid to late 2nd rd pick. O-line is shaping up early on day one. See ya Pete, thx for 2 good years.

Rd 4a Babatunde Oshinowo DT Stanford.......Surprised he fell into Day 2. Can be a future nose tackle....6'2 320lbs. Hope he light's a fire on Pouha's butt and D-rob's for that matter. . I hated the Pouha pick last year in Rd 3.

Rd 4b (KC, Herm's pick) Ryan Cook C New Mexico...........Has nasty demeanor, works hard and has the skills to be a starting Center very quickly.

Rd 4c (Comp) Dwayne Slay S Texas Tech........Hit's like a Freight train. Not a need position, but depth and Special team standout.

Rd 5 Roger McIntosh LB Miami................What do you know???? Another Cane LB. Roger has had injuries to slow his progress and hasn't been a starter very long, but shows flashes of being a very good player. Should do well in a 3-4 scheme.

Rd 5 (comp) Matt Lentz G Mich..........What can you say about a Michigan O-Lineman, most are good NFL players. Some depth in a weak position for the Jets. Lentz is a steal in Rd 5.

RD 6 Devin Aromashodu WR Auburn........I like Devin, 6'2' and can run well for a big player. Can stetch the field. Has been inconsistent but worth a gamble in Rd 6.

Rd 7a Joe Toledo OT Wash..............Former TE, played OT his Senior year and did well. Cavka and
    Toledo are the Back-ups to AJ and Ryan O.

Rd 7b (Det, McGraw) Jason Hatcher DE Gambling St..........Small school player, who dominated and wrecked Havoc in opposing backfields. Big player...6'6" 280...bigtime sleeper.

EXACTLY IT'S 13 PICKS.....forgot about Quickdraw McGraw in rd 7 :)

#1 WW85, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Overall, not a bad draft. However, this draft doesn't work if we're moving to the 3-4. If we make the switch to a 3-4, we immediately have 2 gaping holes in our front 7. If you wait until day 2 to address DT and LB, you're not likely looking at starters, as Abe is a goner, and Robertson is not a NT.

Robertson - Pouha - Ellis
    Barton - Vilma - Hobson - Brown

Ewww, hello 150 rushing yards per game against us next season. Wouldn't you prefer this?

Robertson - Watson - Ellis
    Barton - Vilma - Hawk - Hobson

That's a potentially dominating front 7 andsomething you can build an entire team around.

I guess I'm just higher on Barrett and Martin/Houston/Blaylock than you.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I understand your reasoning about the 3-4. I don't believe the Jets' can switch to an entire 3-4 scheme in 2006, it will take a year or 2. I concentrated on our major weakness......O-Line, with solid players who can step in right away or very shortly. It looks like Kendall, Fabini and Mawae will be gone. O-line is a priority, it needs to be addressed very early in the draft.

DeAngelo Williams will be our premier RB for many years......I still like Houston and CM in spot play.

Oshinowo is a start in reforming our D-Line.

As for the Linebackers.....I'm a Huge AJ Hawk fan, and had him in an earlier mock in Jan, but considering I traded down to # 9, I had to go for the BPA that fills a need.

4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I think your missing a comp pick...

a 3rd rounder for McKenzie
    a 4th rounder for Jordan
    a 7th rounder for Ferguson

Those are the picks we should be getting for FA's lost

Then the 4th rounder for Herm and the 7th rounder for McGraw.

Thats 5 additional picks, putting us at 12 to start before any trade is made.

Ellis

5. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Ellis it's not that cut and dry with the comp picks. It's done by taking the players we lost vs the players we signed and comparing salary and % of plays they were on the field this year vs last year. I don't know the exactly formula so don't hold me to this.

Players lost:
    Jason Ferguson
    Anthony Becht
    Lamont Jordan
    Kareem Mckenzie

Players signed:
    Derrick Blaylock
    Lance Legree

I'm sure I'm missing some players but you get the idea. I expect that Becht, Jordan and Mckenzie will bring us back a 3rd and a 4th hopefully.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Mcgwire explained part of it, you have to take in consideration not just lost players but gained players. It's anyuone's guess right now....What round and how many picks. I say a 4th and 5th will be about right. Very rarely does the NFL award 3rd rounders. We will find out in early April.

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

While you do make some valid points, I do think you are greatly underestimating the comp picks. It should be noted that the NFL gave 5 extra picks in the 3rd round last year. You can argue that McKenzie and Jordan were among the 5 biggest UFA's to change teams last year.

Becuase of Legree I've been assuming nothing for losing Ferguson, but I think you are greatly underestimating the Jordan/McKenzie comp. I think at the very least they get a 3 and a 4

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

DevilJets...............I've been following the Draft process for 20 years and nothing is a certain when it comes to comp picks. The entire comp pick system is convoluted and only the NFL following their formula knows for certain. Their was a poster on TGG and maybe NFL Blitz that did an excellent job estimating comp picks.......he must be a Computer Geek. The Formula is based on UFA's signed ve UFA's lost, plus salaries, playing time and contribution of the player (yardage etc.).

My guess of a 4th and a 5th is good as your guess of a 3th and a 4th, in about 5 weeks we will find out.

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

We actually lost a 7th rounder for a trade with Green Bay (Steve Morley) yeah that was his name and he never saw the field. I don't even know what position he plays..... Another brilliant Bradway move.

WW85 I really like you thinking. I think a trade with Detroit is a real possibilty and there is no way we get anything higher than a 2 for Abe. If they did make similar moves I would likely draft many of those same positions but not exactly the way you have things shaking up.

For starters I'm going OL at the #9 pick, maybe Winston Justice

I like the Cromartie pick as I am no big Barrett fan and Antonio has steal written all over him

Croyle , put the Joe Namath comparisons aside his health is a major concern and we already have a QB with that. I do like Croyle don't get me wrong I like his arm and his leadership abilities but to me it is just too much of a risk to invest that high of a pick on him. If he happens to fall a round then I'd be ok.

I really like O'Callaghan, saw him play in the Las Vegas Bowl and he is uge. For a big guy looks like he is explosive off the line as well.

Spencer is experienced and seems like he hasn't quite met his full potential yet. I think with a new CS he can be coached up.

Love Babitunde....

Slay I haven't seen enough of really form an accurate opinion but you seem to be knowledgable in the draft so I'll yuor word.

I really like McIntosh, he has been slowed by injuries but another guy I feel could develop into a nice player over time

I like Aromasahu, he is extremely fast and your right he can stretch the field. I think he might be one of the fastest WR's in the draft this year. If he can get deep he is just what this team needs.

10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Excellent draft WW85. I have my concerns about Croyle, but I'm resigned to the fact that he probably won't last til the Jets 3rd rounder.

The only other pick I have doubts about is Slay, but only because the Jets seem quite loaded at S with Coleman, Rhodes, Celestin, Maddox, and Rashard Washington. A guy who intrigued me, that might be a solid pick in that range is DE Julian Jenkins. He sounds like he'd be an excellent pick if the Jets are looking to convert to a 3-4 D.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/julianjenkins.html

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I would be estatic with that draft. Well done, WW85.

12. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I understand we need OL help, but I think 5 picks is a little bit of an over kill.

I think if we pick one Tackle, one Guard, and one Center we would be investing a lot in the OL but it would still be reasonable. Anything more would be excessive.

13. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Well based on my Madden experience you top out at 10 picks? Any accuracy to that, or is the game just dicking with me?

14. Go_Eli

Go_Eli New Member

That would be one hell of a Jets draft.

15. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I hear ya. I think the game is just programmed that way to make it a little more balanced

16. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

If we drafted that well I would bow down to Tannenbaum and Mangini as gods

17. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I like it, would be happy with this draft completely.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Rich......Thanks for the nice comments!

I wasn't sure if we lost our 7th.

I saw Slay play in the East -West Shrine game and he was clearly the best defensive player on the field. Slay hit like Ronnie Lott. I understand Safety isn't a need position, but this kid is worth looking at for ST.

19. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Its a good draft...but i think to take a running back in round 1 with the state of the o line next year is a bad move. Let Houston/Blaylock/Martin/FA run and see what they can do. Houston looked decent...even with a 3rd string oline. So I think you stay put in this draft and take either Jay Cutler...who it looks like the FO is VERY HIGH IN THE SKY on, or you draft AJ Hawk and go to the 3-4, and be like the bears...building the team around a top notch d.

Personally I don't like the idea of a Bears-like team....sure they made it to the playoffs but once they played a balanced team they lost. I think you have to go:

QB

OL

DE/DT

OLB

CB

OL

BAP

BAP

BAP