Jets mock draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by hazmat, Feb 19, 2007.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I just wanted to throw some ideas out there and see what people think of these guys. Obviously until the combine and free agency it's difficult to predict where players will get drafted and what the front office will look to do in the draft. I'm a believer in drafting lineman early and often until you have good lines in place on both sides of the ball. So here is my Jets mock:

1/25 Quinn Pitcock DE
    Height: 6-3 | Weight: 295 | 40-Time: 5.05
    Extremely strong...Always hustling and his motor runs non-stop...Excellent versus the run...Gets a push and will hold his ground...Uses his hands to shed blocks and is a sure tackler...Mobile with good quickness and should test well in workouts...Is technically sound and does all the little things...A tough, hard working leader with a lot of experience and terrific intangibles...Still improving and has a bit of upside.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/quinnpitcock.html

2/37 Joe Staley T
    Height: 6-5 | Weight: 300 | 40-Time: 4.75
    Is an amazing athlete for the position with feet that are second to none...Timed speed, agility and quickness are outstanding...Moves well in open space and can get to the second level...Shows the ability to change direction and adjust on the fly...Good intangibles with a motor that is always running...Smart player who picks things up quickly and has shown consistent improvement...Still has lots of upside.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/joestaley.html

2/59 Lamaar Woodley OLB
    Height: 6-2 | Weight: 274 | 40-Time: 4.75
    A good athlete with great quickness off the snap...Is solidly built...Very strong and a big hitter...Versatile with experience at defensive end and linebacker...Excellent in pursuit and has a motor that never stops...Natural pass rusher with a knack for getting after the quarterback...Technically sound, will use his hands well and can shed blocks...Holds his own versus the run...Has a lot of experience and was very productive...Tough, nasty and a hard worker...Team leader with good intangibles.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/lamarrwoodley.html

3 Marshal Yanda G
    Height: 6-4 | Weight: 305 | 40-Time: 5.10
    A solid technician who plays with good leverage...Quick off the ball and has good balance...Mobile blocker who can pull and get to the second level...Versatile and has starting experience at both guard and tackle...Was tutored by offensive line guru Kirk Ferentz...Has solid timed speed...Still improving and has a lot of upside.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/og/marshalyanda.html

4 Martrez Milner TE
    Height: 6-4 | Weight: 255 | 40-Time: 4.65
    Has pretty good size and the frame to get bigger...Very athletic with good speed, quickness and body control...Can stretch the field and run after the catch...Puts in a solid effort as a blocker and has the tools to improve...Hails from a program that has become known for sending tight ends on to the NFL...Still has a lot of upside.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/te/martrezmilner.html

Before everyone tells me I'm an idiot that 4th round pick was conditional and we still don't know if we have it or the niners have it. This draft would give us 2 offensive lineman that are very similar to the types of players the Pats have drafted. Average size, good technicians can play multiple positions.

Pitcock I believe will be a solid 3-4 end. I don't see many other defensive lineman in this draft who will be available at 25 who really bring more to the table then him. I don't think he's going to be a great player but I think he's very coachable and will thrive in our defense. I believe Woodley is going to be a very good player, on paper he doesn't look great but the guy produces and he should be able to get pressure on the qb and play the run well.

I think Milner down the road could be a great passing threat and with the right coaching could become an adequate blocker. He has the speed to get down the field behind the linebackers and the size to really cause problems. I'm always a fan of Georgia tight ends and I think he will follow Watson and Pope and become a solid nfl tight end. Hopefully the Pats don't take him before we get the chance.

Let me know what you think....

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Eh...

Quinn Pitcock is a pretty good pick and I won't complain.

Joe Staley is more of a left tackle and is a bit undersized. He fits better in a scheme such as Denver's IMO. I don't like that pick.

Lamar Woodley is a solid pick. No complaints.

Decent pick... Another offensive lineman?

I'm not crazy over Martez Miller... Plus we don't have a 4th round pick... We traded it for Kevan Barlow. :mad:

3. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I like Pitcock, but not that high. He would be a good pick with either of our other 2nd round picks. Woodley is an OK pick, but I don't love him in general, but for that spot in the draft, it would be a solid pick. Staley is a great LT, would not be able to play RT as he is a bit undersized and has such great speed, it would be underutilized on the right side. Yanda is a good pick, but I dont think we should spend 2 picks on offensive lineman, we have other needs to fill. And I love the Milner pick, but sadly we dont have a 4th rounder.

4. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Again the Barlow trade was conditional, as of now no one knows if we own the pick or not.

5. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I think Staley will continue to get bigger. If you look at how the Pats built their line they don't have players that fit certain positions, they just have 6 or 7 guys who are all about the same who can mostly play all the positions. That way if someone gets hurt they can shift people around more easily. It gives you a line that is excellent as pass blockers and excellent with the run blocking technique. Not necessarily a gigantic overpowering line. I expect to get two offensive lineman out of this draft. I would prefer to trade down and get Pitcock somewhere between 25 and 37 and pick up some extra picks.

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I'm not really a fan of any of the picks, but it does seem like a reasonable draft, one I could live with. I have this feeling that Carriker will fall to 25. Really, Pitt at 15 is the only team that might want him. He can't really go any higher, but I doubt Pitt will pull the trigger, leaving him to fall to us.

#6 vilmatic, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  7. All Star

All Star Active Member

Pitcock too early, otherwise I like it...... I would rather have Justin Blalock than whoever that OT is though...........

8. All Star

All Star Active Member

Hold on, does that 300 pound man really run a 4.75 40?

o_O

9. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Carriker would fit in fine as a 4-3 end in the Trevor Pryce mold, so don't count out teams like the Bengals.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I would prefer Carriker at 25 but it's not likely he makes it.

11. coydoggie

coydoggie New Member

I watched tape of Carriker

he has incredibly long arms and plays the position smart - we would be luck y if he dropped this low in the 1st

regardless - Pitcock would be a good pick and fits the mold as far as his 'engine'