Jets made it official: Darnold is QB1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Be aware, Stay Alive! It should get easier after the first year. Good Luck Kid! Go get em!!

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Amen!!!!!!!!

Brook! likes this.
  3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Been reflecting on this all day. I think I would have been a big ***sy and started the year with Bridgewater for a few games. Although looking back further I never would have traded 3 2nd round picks (since there was no chance Darnold would be available at #3) and I would have definitely tried to sign Kirk Cousins too.

I have to hand it to the Jets.... although I think they would have signed Cousins with all their money if he'd been willing to take it, they have been pretty ballsy about this and at this point it looks like its going to pay off. Kudo's to them for once they seem to be getting it right.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm happy that Bowles (the Johnsons?) made Sam the starter, Why wait? Sure he might get hurt, but even if you had the 7 Blocks of Granite he might still get hurt. He needs to play to learn.

But don't be surprised if he hits some "speed bumps" and needs to sit a part of a game or even a game or two, nothing will alter the course they've set. Barring a catastrophic face plant, Darnold is the FQB, ready or not. I think he's ready, and hopefully will prove it.

mrjet80 likes this.
  5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I would be very happy with 2500-2800 yards 18 TDs or so. Even with 15-20 INTs .......let him play. He has average playmakers although Anderson has all the tools of a # 1 WR. He is definitely going to take his lumps....2 or 3 stinkers. Just sit back and take the good with the bad. With the anticipation of the 2019 off season coming up and all of that available cap space it almost seems like this is a 16 game preseason...a build up to next year.

GQMartin and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Also think this is the ideal week 1 match up for Sam. Patricia wasn't any kind of special defensive coordinator in NE either. Pretty much Belichik's lackey. They Lions will have a bottom 5 D and Crowell/Powell will feast bigtime.
    I don't think the Jets expected Darnold to win the starting job outright over both Teddy and McCown but he did just that (especially coming into camp late which make it that much more impressive) they were probably thinking best case scenario they turn the reigns over to him midseason

He's surprised the franchise with just how smart, humble, and hard working he is. Proof is in the pudding. Look at old tape of him, looks outstanding but a bit raw. Watch him in the preseason he goes through his progressions quicker, his release is legitimately quick, his ball security is on point. The physical tools are all there

Bridgewater and McCown aren't Brady and Manning...but they're not exactly Nathan Peterman either. It was impressive for a 20-21 year old to walk in, internalize the entire playbook, earn the respect of the team and coaching staff, and just take the job for himself. If he was competing with Tyrod Taylor in Cleveland he would've won that job too. Thank God that he's here though.

7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

One cool thing about any potential speed bumps we hit is that Josh McCown is just about the perfect guy to be the relief pitcher when needed. Not only is he a viable NFL starter-level performer he's not exactly some young competitor that's going to bog the franchise down in the dreaded "quarterback controversy" crap. If he's needed here and there no harm no foul.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

You’re asking for a ban mentioning god on this forum lmao

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Bowles doesn’t play young guys.

GQMartin likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He does if he's told to.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I expect a year of learning with growing pains and flashes of being the FQB this team has been starved of for a long time. Hopefully it's a stepping stone to an even better season in 2019 ala Wentz and Goff.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I don’t think McCown, absent injury, ever sees the field.

Darnold isn’t Sanchez, he’s not throwing 5 INTs in a game.

He’s too good.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Bless your heart for still trying.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

64%, 3300 yards, 22 TD, 12 INT

8-8

NYJFOREVER, Bowles Movement and FJF like this.
  15. forevercursed

He's Offensive ROTY then

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Vegas agrees with you

17. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

i never got the hate on the McCown signing. He cost us $10 million in cap space and we currently have $20 million going into the season. We were never gonna need that extra 10. Additionally it's a 1 year deal so he cost nothing against the cap next year. He had a career year in our offense last year and is just about the perfect mentor for Darnold. A guy willing to teach but also compete who can also be good at football...incredibly rare and ideal for us.

I think the $10 million is worth it for all that he brings this team but even if you don't, it's not like that money was gonna go elsewhere.

Pepsiguy5 and TrojanPride like this.
  18. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I didn't like the McCown signing because I wasn't convinced the Jets would make the right move and start Darnold. I'm happy with him as a backup and a tutor - not as a starter.

19. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

I think that’s a very reasonable projection

20. forevercursed

McCown is going to be loved by our fanbase for a long time with the work he's doing with Darnold. Hope he slides right into a QB's coach (or some kind of special assignments coach...title doesn't really matter) for next year and beyond. McCown is very smart, savvy, a seasoned pro who knows the league inside out. Need to keep this guy in the fold. Weis helped Brady immeasurably early on and we need to keep Josh around for him to do the same.

Darnold/McCown/Bates/Dennison. I want to keep that core around. I think they will get the best from Darnold. Young QB's need consistency and stability