Jets: LB more important than CB in 2015

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsVilma28, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

You guys don't see value in trying to bring back Harris?

He must know Rex Ryan playbook inside out. He would be a great Vet to have in the defense. The younger guys respect Harris, and he has long time as a member of the Jets.

I would try to bring back Harris, probably get a hometown discount too.

2. freemantoon

freemantoon Active Member

only if he's on the bench in obvious passing situations.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Sure but what does knowing RRs playbook have to do with anything? That's no longer applicable.

4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Meaning he could sort of help mentor the defense to the guys etc...? I think :)

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  5. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

When he signed his last contract, Harris was literally the highest paid LB in the history of the NFL. In essence, he was overpaid. If he can come back on a cheap-ish contract, I would take him, but Harris is pretty slow and I like what Demario has done over the past few years.

almbleamal, Mogriffjr and JetsVilma28 like this.
  6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

You don't see value in having a reference to RRs defense, the Jets old defensive play book?

The one that pitched 6 sacks against Brady and 7 to close out Miami

Edit: totally throwing out that Harris was a great member of the New York Jets. One of my all time favorite.

"If I was a NFL linebacker I would just watch videos of lions hunting". That's Davis Harris. I will miss him most.

#6 JetsVilma28, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  7. Jetsfansince95

Betcha Rex takes him to the ATL just as he took Bart Scott with him from Bal

8. Jetsfansince95

And I pray he takes Kyle Wilson lolol

Quinnenthebeast and Red Menace like this.
  9. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

harris just doesn't make enough impact plays. at a reasonable price tag, yes bring him back, but not the highest priority as of now. depending on our future system, we might be able to slide Demario in his place and possibly get better results.

as for cb, we are in dire need for fresh and talented bodies to enter the picture. we cannot rely on one single person on our roster, injured reserve or not. certainly not in this passing league in which the nfl has become.

just look at our past season and if we get another stretch(of games) of murderers row qb's like we did in '14 we won't survive it next year either, unless we address what I consider our weakest position on the team - the cb position.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It will all depend on the scheme we end up running.

TonyMaC likes this.
  11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Maybe a little. But you think the looks we gave them Week 16 are some kind of blueprint? No. They will adapt, they are great for a reason. This shit's chess not checkers. I think not having Rex will set us back big time in our match ups against NE. He knew how to mix things up.

Also, Demario has spent two years in this defense and plays 3 downs. I'm sure he knows the playbook just as well.

I like Harris though, great Jet. I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back if we keep a 3-4 base.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Harris is a free agent. Babin and Pace were pretty good this year but are getting up there in age.

As much as we all want to fix the offense, linebacker and corner back are big needs.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would rather have an elite LB than an elite CB, I hope the next guy that comes in does not build his schemes needing elite corners.

I would rather he focus on DL, OLB, safeties and good CB.

That being said if we can find a better QB, that would help turn this team around quickly.

14. Jetsfansince95

Would be nice to add Brooks Reed or Brandon Graham since Pace and Babin are likely done

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

if we have money to spend (and we do) I would way prefer them to spend it sorting the OL and getting some cornerbacks and THEN see if there is anything left to deal with Harris.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Harris is a pros pro...sure tackler and run stuffing type guy. 2 down LB. I would bring him back only if he wasn't in the game in passing situations because he's pretty slow and not really a coverage LB. Doesn't have the instincts to be in coverage. I'd bring him back at a lower cost if need be and get a younger guy in there or another LB though.

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Of course they need another cornerback. But re-signing Harris who is coming off of a good year is one of the reasons Idzik probably didn't kill his cap on players not as good as Harris.

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I would agree that LB'r is pretty damned important and a need but more so OLB.

MLB as a need is up in the air until a coach and system is in place. If we wind up going to a 4-3 a need for Harris (or any MLB) drops way low as a priority.

19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Have we signed a new HC yet?

20. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I dont have a problem with the Jets bringing him back. But it has to be at a way reduced price.