Jets Interested in OJ Atogwe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PinPointPenning10, Mar 19, 2012.

1. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Having two "injury prone" safeties is a gamble.

But im for it. Sign the beast

2. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I'm not crazy about Atogwe, but we straight up don't have a free safety on the roster. Unless anyone has a better idea (and blowing our first round pick on Barron isn't a better idea, btw,) I'd be OK with giving him a shot.

3. Atogwe is a part time player at this stage. You could likely get good production rotating in Smith/Leonard/Atogwe depending on the situation. Problem is, someone is gonna play him and pay him as a starter b/c the safety well is dry.

4. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

If we sign Atogwe, I'd like to see the safety from boise groomed. Then again that goes if we re-sign Jim.

5. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

If we manage to sign Atogwe for anything under $2.5 million, it would mean that Atogwe + Landry would cost less than Reggie Nelson in 2012...

I like.

6. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

People against the Atogwe signing gotta realize that just 1 year ago he got a monster contract, and is a turnover beast.

If he pans out on a 1 year flyer we lock him up.

If he doesnt, well then we have a draft with far better safety prospects, and a free agency period where we have way more cash.

I mean if we can address OLB WR and Guard this draft (all of which we can easily do), then next year we can load up on whatever strengths the draft has

7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

DCM,
    I agree with you 100%, we would be in great shape going into the draft with nothing but flexability.

#47 blackssmagic, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  8. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

who like lowery? Oh...wait..., we let him walk

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Hopefully we sign him then find a way to pick up a starting caliber right tackle.

10. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

bring him in

11. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I'm all for signing Atogwe. If they can stay healthy (Atogwe and Laundry), the Jets may have the best secondary in football in 2012. I also wouldn't be against trading down in round 1, or up back into the end of round 1 from round 2 of the draft to pick Barron (I would be upset picking him at 16).

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Get Ohalete

:drunk:

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I compared Pool and Smith becuase some sizeable number here were more for getting rid of Smith than Pool. But imo Pool was worse than Smith, and on top of that was an FA while Smith is under contract. I agree they did not play the same role. Smith's role was to tackle, while Pool's was to get poor position and try to catch up with his admittedly faster speed. Nice.

I don't talk much about VD because he sucks. I think it more likely the Jet FO has kept him more because they just don't want to admit yet that he's another Gholston.

And you're right, maybe you're not an accross the board FO Homer. Just when they support Sanchez.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

NE will take Barron with their first #1 if he is still there...

15. Big Blocker

The off season is always fluid, lots of moving parts, timing affects decisions, as timing affects the cap, and holes not filled in FA feed into drafting strategy. I myself have always been interested in the chessmatch that is the off season, but lately have become increasingly skeptical of Tanny.

"seems like they have a plan" - yeah, but is it a good plan? They had a plan when Pete Kendall acted up about his contract. They let him go and "replaced" him with Clarke and Bender. It killed the season.

The Jets had a plan to back up Chad with Fiedler, who before that missed even more games than Chad due to injuries. Chad and Fiedler both went down in the same game, Bollinger had gotten hardly any snaps, and another season went down the toilet.

Last season R. Turner got injured in pre-season. Partly because VD was sucking the wind out of one roster spot, and they gave Hunter good money to start, they essentially did nothing to replace Turner, and the season got knocked off kilter when Mangold went down and no one could even call the signals, let alone play decent Center.

I know there were other things going on. I know Jet FO Homers will want to jump in here and say all FO's make mistakes. But these kind of situations, where they seem to "have a plan" that is based on hope more than real expectations, are becoming way too common a problem in the Tanny era.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Pool was our best coverage safety. He wasn't good in run support. Completely different player than Smith.

How do I qualify as a "FO Homer only when they support Sanchez"? Do you find it necessary to classify anyone who says positive things about Sanchez as a "homer"? I've criticized Sanchez for some things and given him credit for other things. Apparently you hate him so much you can't reason much further than "OMG SANCHEZ HOMER" when someone has something positive to say about the guy.

17. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

18. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

Are the jets still pursuing safeties through free agency after signing Landry?

19. Marticle

Marticle New Member

Mike T just said the Jets are looking for versatile players for the secondary,
    wonder if someone like Marcus Trufant or Tracy Porter could play FS?
    Still Atogwe and Reggie Smith out there at the moment.
    What do you all think?

20. Big Blocker

Actually I did mean to refer to you as an FO Homer more generally, since on several occasions you defended admittedly crappy moves by the Jet FO with the excuse that all FO's make mistakes. Yeah, and some mistakes are worse than others.

I don't hate Sanchez, anyway. He's just a grossly overpaid Jet player who has been holding back the team, losing games, not progressing at anywhere near an acceptable rate, who can't read defenses, and who has a guaranteed contract for another two years. Other than that...

As for your Pool and Smith comment, all players are different. Pool backed up Smith on the depth chart, and they are both safeties even when Leonhard was out. That's all I was referring to.