Jets Hire OL coach Pollack

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jan 21, 2019.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Apparently he is on his way to the Vikings

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. SeattleJet

SeattleJet Active Member

You could tell that Gase has learned his lesson. Miami OL coach is ranked 30th. It is more telling that Gase was able muster 7 wins with that coaching/personnel. I think, we will be better this year for sure.

LAJet likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So far, Gase is showing me that if anything, he is not going to make the same mistake he made on his first gig.
    A - Focus on coaching. No primary role in personnel selection. Just provide input to GM based on needs and game schemes
    B- Get someone that can build an aggressive and disciplined D that keeps a young defense in the game
    C- Get someone to Help build and coach a strong OL to protect the company jewel
    D- Don't screw with what is working, I.e special teams
    More to see but is a damned good start

NYJetsO12, SOJAZ, Noam and 4 others like this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Miami and Cleveland were pretty close to us on penalties last season, though Miami made great strides year over year.

I hope they do bring disciplined football to NY. It would be nice for a change.

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I really don't see how anyone can argue with this. Will it work, we'll have to see, but this is a lot better than I expected when I first had a negative reaction to the hiring.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in terms of player acquisition.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He seems to be saying and doing the right things for now. All the rumors coming from Miami of him fighting for control have not followed him here so far. Lets see how this plays out after a year or two though.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not at all. He was terrible at both spots and was the weak link in every game he played in.

NYJFOREVER and joe like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree. Most likely this hire was made by MAC with the consent of Gase similar to the Greg William's hire and Boyer hire. But Mac seems to be the one leading the effort to pick the coaches. Letting Gass focus solely on the offense.

Gase's job and focus seems to be on being the Jets OC and QB coach. Will he grow into being a HC and leader of the team remains to be seen. But it's an interesting approach by the FO to hire an offensive HC and defensive HC which seemed to be their plan no matter who was hired. It has the benefit of simplifying what Gase has to do allowing him to grow into the job.

Hawk-o likes this.
  9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Gase picks his coaches. Everything from the press conference and what’s happened after has dictated this to be true.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So then why did everyone whine about the Jets apparently telling Rhule and McCarthy who they had to hire? One of the two is false. I agree with you personally but plenty of people had a good cry over the reports that came out a few weeks ago.

Noam likes this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I dont think that is true. Articles have come out that GWilliams was going to be the DC no matter who became coach. That Monken would be OC if Rhule was coach. That Boyer would be special teams coach.

It seems the model the Jets have chosen here is to surround their coach with strong assistant coaches. They will get to sign off on it but the emphasis, the seatch and the direction seems to be coming from the FO.

I think they want to correct the mistakes of the past regime and help young coaches out with strong experienced assistants. With Gase things are a but different as he will not need an experienced OC as he will be the OC. But Gase appears to be essentially signing off on these hires not directing the search. Which is fine as he can just focus on the offense.

It's an interesting philosophy by the FO having 2 strong coaches one for the offense one for the defense and essentially limiting the responsibilities, power and focus of the HC. Allowing him to focus on developing Darnold. We will see how it works out. Where it can go wrong is not having a CEO leader type at the helm. Which is why I think they really wanted Rhule in this type of scenario paired with Monken and Williams.

#71 Noam, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    egelband, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

What makes me believe that there's no dictation from above on the staff is Loggains. Considering we have no OC and he's still technically under contract, one would assume that's what the hold up is. No one with a brain would DEMAND Loggains be on their HC's staff.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this. Mac is having a ton of input on the coaches around Gase for better or worse. Frank Pollack was with the Texans from 2007-2011 mac ... 2000 - 2010, 4 years they worked together and I highly doubt that is a coincidence.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I dont think Loggains matters as essentially Gase is our OC and QB coach. Loggains is just there to assist and he is comfortable with Gase. Given Gases role we cannot hire a strong OC we only can hire someone Gase is comfortable with and who likely is not qualified to be OC.

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Sigh.

Gase said one of the things he learned from his first stint was the importance of being patient with coaching hires. He’s hired two coaches so far. He did the interviews and hired them. He brought back Boyer but that was a given as he was a great STC.

Yes the Jets wanted Williams but there was no guarantee he was the DC. Remember he hadn’t been relieved of his duties until the Browns went with Kitchens.

Johnson said he nor Macc forced coaches upon anyone. Rhule was bringing his friends who were inexperienced and the same for McCarthy but his friends sucked.

Gase obviously understood the importance of strong minded coordinators and position coaches that will allow him to focus on being with Darnold.

Everything they’ve said is lining up to be true.

16. BroadwayAaron

Right... which makes me think there is no edict from above. The Gregg Williams thing to me doesn't say much because he was hands down the best candidate available. I don't think Gase had to be told that's who they wanted him to hire. Odds are he was on board with that considering he's been around the league long enough to see what Williams is capable of.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Given, the FO insistance on William's, the Boyer contract being worked out ahead of time, and Pollacks connections with MAC, the story on Monken and William's were required by the FO for Rhule and we can see there appears to be a clear plan being directed by the FO. Gase is essentially the OC and the QB coach. His role may grow in time but it does not appear he is doing more than signing off on these hires.

#77 Noam, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Pollack from what I read is a great hire. Seems to like big mauling offensive lines. That's what we need. Just reading about it Williams, Pollack, and Boyer are good hires and rehires. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the staff is put together and really excited to get free agency going to see where this team is and what we need at the draft. I like that we are hiring coaches and teachers not just coaches. Hopefully that is true and the team is better fundamentally because of it with less penalties and players being in the right position.

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I believe Gase and Mac are working hand in glove with the coaching selection. It is not unilateral nor it is mandated down to specific names, but rather to expectation as to the type, experience and qualifications. i.e. a whole CS with no NFL background was not an option. Even Mac in the presser said there is a lot of give and take and he is there to help Gase, and is collaborative based on the vision they have created to counteract past mistakes. Likewise, IMO, the player selection will be influenced by Gase/Williams inputs to some significant extent.
    But at the end of the day, Gase will be accountable as the HC, will final say so. He will delegate a whole bunch to GW and the like with his focus on the offense strategy and QB development, but still responsible for the overall game planning and execution.

NYJetsO12, egelband and MoWilkBeast like this.
  20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I heard nothing about them telling anybody who to hire. With Rhule they just didn't like his plan and chosen staff members so they didn't hire him. Gase apparently had the better plan / staff plus comes with experience. With Rhule, he's unproven in the NFL so they don't want important coaching positions also filled by unknowns, especially with Greg Williams out there.