Jets Fire Todd Bowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AMJets, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Making adjustments during a game presupposes that the players have the talent to make the necessary adjustments. I don't think that was ever the case with the majority of players on the roster this year or last, so I don't hold that against Bowles so much. For me, the biggest complaint was the lack of self discipline exhibited by his players in taking dumb penalties (roughing, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.) and inopportune penalties (illegal motion, holding, etc.) Those were a sure sign of poor coaching. The final straw was the 41-10 loss to Buffalo at home, an inexcusable performance, the unmistakable sign of a poor coach. A lot of the other complaints such as poor clock management and poor on-field decision making, are things all coaches have been guilty of at some point in their career. If you have a bad team coaching mistakes are magnified; a good team, they are easily glossed over.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I gotta admit, I was kind of surprised Todd Bowles got his on Sunday. I was positive it was gonna be Monday. However, disappointed to see Maccagnan is still around. I guess I was right that he used landing Darnold as a bargaining chip to plead his case and it looks like it worked (at least for now). I would have, too, and it could still change, but I don't have much hope for it. I was straddling the fence on him but leaning towards no and now I'm definitively towards no. It's gonna be another arranged marriage if he's retained after the Jets hire a new HC. Depending on WHO the Jets manage to hire, he's probably staying. I'm also not the least bit surprised that one half of the Brothers Idiot is gonna more involved in the hiring process than I wanted. Meaning, I didn't want it.

The Jets need a Pres of FB Operations to handle this to pull all the strings and swab the deck. How the Jets manage to repeat history time and time again is astounding. There better be some massive firings.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Even if you can't make the adjustments you'd like to because of the players available to you, you try to do SOMETHING. Bowles never did, or it was never visible. I honestly think he believed that all players were like he was: would play with passion and brains and find a way to beat their guy. The reality is that different players require different motivation. Some can be self-motivated; some need encouragement; some need the fear of losing their job or playing time. Of course I wasn't in the locker room or able to see how he interacted with the team, but clearly there was a major disconnect between he and his players, even if they claim they loved him, because in the end it isn't love, it's results, and they speak for themselves.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with anything here, but I don't know where you can find evidence that he didn't try to make adjustments. I would think making adjustments during a game is something all coaches must do. Being successful at it is another story. Basically, I think Bowles was the victim of Maccagnan's tanking philosophy, although he bares some responsibility too. Not much any coach can do with the roster that the Jets put on the field the last two years. With Maccagnan still in control of personnel, this is the last place I would want to come if I was an NFL coach looking for a job.

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I know it’s Manish but would this really surprise anyone?

6. ColoradoContrails

My "evidence" is what I saw on the field. I saw the opponent's best receivers not being covered by our best CB, or switching who covered who when the original CB/LB was getting toasted. And of course on the other side of the ball, it was clear that the playcalling sucked and was predictable, yet they stuck with it until the end.

Yes, I'm sure he tried to make SOME adjustments but not significant ones, not game-changing ones. And that was his M.O. from the very beginning. Why it took four years for the Johnsons to figure that out is testimony to their ignorance.

And I agree that Macc's failures contributed to the overall failure, and want him gone, but apparently he has the Johnson Boys bamboozled.

CBG and SOJAZ like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

Not at all.

The only thing that surprises me is how breathtakingly ignorant the Johnsons are about football that they couldn't see Bowles's shortcomings at that point, or any time in the four succeeding losing years.

8. jetophile

Todd Bowles, nice man, good HC not so much. I hope he lands somewhere in the NFC as a DC and maybe in a couple of years gets another shot. Because I'm nice sometimes. I was disappointed it didn't work out, but came a time I could no longer ignore the writing on the wall. Bowles has a lot of friends in the industry and from everything I've heard is very well liked so I don't expect him to burn any bridges. Bates, IMO, already signed his own death warrant especially by opening his trap and pointing fingers at his own QB. I hope they can him this week, but my suspicion is it doesn't happen until the HC hire has been resolved. Insofar as the Jets can resolve anything, that is. I really did not want Christopher Johnson or Woody or both anywhere near this. Christopher Johnson seems to care more than Woody but that doesn't mean he knows anything about football. He clearly isn't keeping his stupid face out of it which really worries me.

westiedog1 and K'OB like this.
  9. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

Bart Scott on the radio just called the Jets "the dumbest team in the NFL." As an example, he explained that when the Jets linebackers would be watching film with Todd Bowles, David Harris would point out cues that he and Scott used to successfully read various pre-snap motion used by Brady and the Pats, only to have Bowles shut him down (Bart: "He didn't want to hear it!") He says that's the sort of stuff Pepper Johnson was referring to when he was ripping into Bowles and his staff last year.

Unbelievable. This clown should have been fired years ago.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Could be true, Bowles did some dumb stuff here. Also could be Manish making it up. Or Mac is a real snake. Who knows?

11. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I thought Todd was gonna get HC interviews. What happened??

12. jetophile

The New York Jets: The Dumbest Team in Football. Bart Scott has been killing it. Not so much on other sports where he's kind of out his league (heh), but he's starting to put Ray Lucas to shame. I wanna a T-shirt that says that with 'Kick Me I'm Stupid' on the back. Every once in a while I look at my Jets scarf and then at the ceiling fan.

cmcm750203 and Cman68 like this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Unless someone comes up with the memory wipe pen from "Men In Black", that ain't happening....

cmcm750203 likes this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The Cardinals have not even called this guy lol

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Well looks like Todd will soon be employed by the Bucs

16. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

He's their problem now

17. jetophile

The moderating has become so fickle the last few months. This thread is open again so I had to waste a bunch of major poop in other threads because nobody could figure out how to curb their own dog. o_O

So much of my hard earned brain damage gone to waste. Oh, well. I would say there's always another opportunity for another coma, but the fibrin glue in my head disagrees.

18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Holy shit that’s terrible if true.

Royal Tee likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So long Todd Bowles... Vaya Con Dios...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.