Jets fire o-line coach Marshall

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Would love to get a better guard(s), but the question is who are you going to cut or demote? Winters and Carpenter have a pretty strong cap hit.

Oh and yeah Billy Price FTW ... take a QB at 6 or BPA; then trade back into the first for Price.

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Keep them all. We can afford to.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I sure hope that you're right!

grkmanga31 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

We could afford to keep them all, but would that be the best use of our cap space? Winters should be healthy. If you sign Norwell, he's gonna start. Why pay Carpenter $6,805,000 to sit on the bench? They could cut him, take a $2,105,000 dead money hit and save $4,700,000 on the cap. For that amount, they could upgrade the depth at C and one of the OG positions, possibly all three of those positions.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would personally rather address the tackles if possible this off-season along with the center position. Next year, upgrade the guards. We can't get any major push on the outside in terms of the run game. Barely could run it to the outside cause the tackles absolutely suck in the run game.

FJF likes this.
  6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Who you want at OT in free agency? Nate Solder if Pats choose to not retain him?

7. NCJetsfan

As far as I know, aside from Solder, there's not a starting-quality LT in FA. Since Beachum is under contract for 2018 and would be too expensive to cut (a $7 million dead money hit), I think we need to focus on drafting an LT, and focus on the interior positions on the OL and RT in FA.

At RT, I'd love to add Adrian Waddle of the Patriots, but doubt he'll reach FA, and even if does, don't think he would ever agree to sign with the Jets. He'd just use us to drive up his contract with whomever he signed.

At RT there are several players who could be available. The Ravens' James Hurst, the Rams' Cornelius Lucas, the Cardinals’ Earl Watford, the Bills’ Seantrel Henderson, or the Chargers’ Michael Schofield could be available, and I hope that one of them will be signed either as the starter or to compete with/push Shell at RT. Hurst and Schofield can also play OG. Lucas and Henderson can also play the LT spot. If we cut Ijalana, we will need a backup at LT, so it would probably make more sense to sign either Lucas or Henderson. The Rams have $43.5 million in cap space, so should be able to re-sign Lucas. Unless we just blew him away with a lot more money than the Rams and getting paid more was more important to him than winning, I can't imagine why he'd leave the Rams to come to the Jets. There are potentially a lot of FA RTs, with quite a few of them being younger. Certainly there must be one the Jets can sign who will push or beat our Shell at RT, or at least be better than Qvale.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Why do the Jets constantly poach coaches from the Bills? They are far from a model franchise. I agree they need to use the run game more effectively, but stay away from the damn Bills.

CotcheryFan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. Sam Hammer

I'm not sure how you can say he completely neglected it when he signed Beachum, one of the top oline FAs last year. He neglected the center position because he misjudged Wesley Johnson, but that's not complete neglect (ie Tanny in 2011 & 2012). This year he's got much more financial leeway, so I can see him bolstering it. Last year he was limited.

This year is do or die for Macc.

#49 Sam Hammer, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Bills have had one of the better rushing attacks in the NFL the past few years.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Yep and they also have a top of league RB in McCoy, a mobile QB that rushes a lot and a better oline. I hope it works out. The Bills have gone almost 20 years without a playoff win. I'm just tired of the Jets taking their scraps.

;)

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Buffalo's running game took a very large step back this year under new coordinator Rick Dennison. Dennison is the guy Bowles is reportedly interested in for line coach and running game coordinator.

Dennison was the line coach and OC for a long time in Denver. Denver had some good rushing offenses for sure over the years but it was also a cheap, gimmick running game with lots of crack-back blocking and low blocks in front of a zone running back. The league is coming down on that style with penalties and defenses are better at defending it. I fear this will be a bad hire/bad style of rushing offense in 2018

BacktoQueens and Mogriffjr like this.
  13. I’d keep Carpenter over Winters at this point.Winters is just too inconsistent & gets flat out beat way too often.Bowles said Dozier was most improved player last season..I’d keep him over Winters at this point including as starter.Seen enough of Kent state boy

Red Menace and tomdeb like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

There's no way Mac is gonna cut Winters, not one year after signing him to an extension. They'd take a $7 million dead money hit, and have $0 cap savings. Winters was injured this past season. Carpenter's play has been falling off according to Bowles.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

There are actually several teams with a run game coordinator or passing game coordinator. Dolphins, Bills , Packers, 49s, Bucs, Panthers, Atlanta, Washington, Eagles , the Browns are looking to hire one, several of the teams in the coaching transition will also have them.

Cman68, MoWilkBeast and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

This is why I think hes gone after next year. We didnt win much this year looking like a normal NFL offense with a 50-50 split between running and passing. Can you imagine us running more with a line that sucks? Of course if they go bonkers in the offseason that could cure all ills, but I think going more conservative will be a fatal mistake for Bowles. We just arent good enough on defense to depend on them like that.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This is true. If Mac could somehow get this to happen the OL would be instantly improved. Guys like Winters and Carpenter would also get better merely by having better talent around them.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Maybe the coach had zero ability to judge talent just like MCC:mad: